Former PM Thaksin slams modest minimum wage hike of 5%, calls for ฿800 a day rate over 2 terms

webfact

Salaries are low because Thai workers are poorly qualified and lazy.  These issues must be addressed before any lasting salary raises can be given. Throwing 300 or 400 Bahts at the  minimum wage will only generate inflation. But Thaksin knows that quite well, just as we know that man is a populist.

• Like 2

A big employer in Thailand is the farmer, who themselves form the majority of the employees.

The going rate up here is 350 baht a day. A decent employer will throw in food and Lao Khow.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Thaksin only gave scraps from his dining table... a few crumbs for the rice growers of the NE so they would vote for him, while he helped himself to billions.

Well, they must have been getting more from him than they are/were from the other lot or they wouldn't vote for him. Not difficult to understand really.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Well, they must have been getting more from him than they are/were from the other lot or they wouldn't vote for him. Not difficult to understand really.

When you have nothing you'll vote for any hand-out...

That doesn't make Thaksin a martyr.

He, all the others that followed and the military regime now are all the same.. 

self serving indulgent swine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DezLez said:

What a disgusting and ill informed statement. 

If you had ever run a successful business here in Thailand you would never had made that statement!

I work for a successful business here in Thailand, in general the Thai staff are very lazy..... unlike the import labour that comes in from in from neighboring countries.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

When you have nothing you'll vote for any hand-out...

That doesn't make Thaksin a martyr.

He, all the others that followed and the military regime now are all the same.. 

self serving indulgent swine.

The fact of the matter is the poor people loved him, i'd much prefer to listen to them as to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Apart from the last bit i'm happy if anyone robs them as they are the worst Banks for Customer Service on the entire Planet !

What makes you say that?... I find banks here not bad... a bit slow at the tellers admittedly. Can't get to see a human being in a lot of those in Europe. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 6:34 AM, 2baht said:

Tony Hairdye, put your hand in your pocket and give back some of the billions you acquired as premier! Get your sister to pitch in too!

NEVER! It's mine!!! I earned each and every Stang in dishonesty and it's gonna stay in my pocket!

Sincerely(?)

Tony

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Thaksin only gave scraps from his dining table... a few crumbs for the rice growers of the NE so they would vote for him, while he helped himself to billions.

And what has the current government, (you know the one that stole the country from its true owners at gunpoint, the Thai people), ever given the people in return?

Not even scraps off the table.

8 years of misery, 2 million job losses, unhappiness and NO reconciliation for the people, students jailed under the LM law, for peacefully protesting.

No wonder the current lot are terrified of Thaksin or anybody who would stand against the. They may win the next election by hook or by crook, (IMHO by crook) but that doesn't mean that the Thai people will accept it.

Can you remember Prayuth in2014 declaring that there will be NO military coup?

Or after the coup that he promised would never happen, the promise to reform the police, the military, the civil service that never happened either.

Or the promise to restore harmony and reconciliation to the Thai people that STILL hasn't happened?

I do and so do millions of Thais.

quote from your post "Thaksin only gave scraps from his dining table... a few crumbs for the rice growers of the NE so they would vote for him, while he helped himself to billions."

At least they got something.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

The fact of the matter is the poor people loved him

So does that make him a good person?

Poor people will love anyone with a false promise.

Pol Pot, Marcos, Gaddafi, Escobar, the list goes on.

You forgot to add Prayuth and his cronies to the list.

28 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And what has the current government, (you know the one that stole the country from its true owners at gunpoint, the Thai people), ever given the people in return?

Not even scraps off the table.

8 years of misery, 2 million job losses, unhappiness and NO reconciliation for the people, students jailed under the LM law, for peacefully protesting.

No wonder the current lot are terrified of Thaksin or anybody who would stand against the. They may win the next election by hook or by crook, (IMHO by crook) but that doesn't mean that the Thai people will accept it.

Can you remember Prayuth in2014 declaring that there will be NO military coup?

Or after the coup that he promised would never happen, the promise to reform the police, the military, the civil service that never happened either.

Or the promise to restore harmony and reconciliation to the Thai people that STILL hasn't happened?

I do and so do millions of Thais.

quote from your post "Thaksin only gave scraps from his dining table... a few crumbs for the rice growers of the NE so they would vote for him, while he helped himself to billions."

At least they got something.

I agree 100% with your post.. this regime has done nothing for Thailand.

However that doesn't make Thaksin or others that have held the PM post saints or martyrs.

None have ever given Thai people a fair crack, none have narrowed the wealth divide, none have improved the education system, none have ever left the PM position with less money in their accounts.

Sadly for Thailand their is no real choice for a true PM..

Only the old "devil you know better than the one you don't" choice

that doesn't help Thai people one bit.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Interesting, Where dies that number come from.

Do you have a link I can read ?

AFAIR it came from the BKK post which is why I cannot post any link I could find.

However here is a link from the ILO dated June 2020.

The sectors that are most at risk to experience
a significant (medium or high) reduction in
economic output as a result of the COVID-19
crisis employed nearly 21 million of 37 million
workers in 2019. The impact on workers within
the impacted sectors will come in the form
of reduced working hours and wages or even
complete job loss. From 6.6 to 7.5 million
workers in Thailand are expected to experience
such disruption first hand.

Already the number of hours worked in Thailand
declined by nearly 6 per cent in the first quarter
2020, which is the equivalent to the loss of
2.2 million full-time jobs (assuming a 40 hour
working week). The decrease is expected to
increase to about 10 per cent in the second
quarter, thus bringing the estimated loss to a
full-time equivalency of 4 million jobs.

or here https://thailand.opendevelopmentmekong.net/topics/covid-19-impact-on-thai-labor-market/

or here   https://www.bot.or.th/English/MonetaryPolicy/MonetPolicyComittee/MPR/BOX_MRP/BOX1_MPREng_Sep20_labormarket.pdf

43 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I agree 100% with your post.. this regime has done nothing for Thailand.

However that doesn't make Thaksin or others that have held the PM post saints or martyrs.

None have ever given Thai people a fair crack, none have narrowed the wealth divide, none have improved the education system, none have ever left the PM position with less money in their accounts.

Sadly for Thailand their is no real choice for a true PM..

Only the old "devil you know better than the one you don't" choice

that doesn't help Thai people one bit.

Perhaps the current lot don't want to let Thaksin's lot into power, as that would expose their own failures.

I don't know if there is a real choice a true PM for Thailand because if the current lot are kicked out, and a decent lot comes into power, then it won't be long before yet another military coup, as sure as KFC makes chicken nuggets.

Having said that at least the Thai people got something from Thaksin, and twice the square root of SFA from anybody else in power.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

AFAIR it came from the BKK post which is why I cannot post any link I could find.

However here is a link from the ILO dated June 2020.

The sectors that are most at risk to experience
a significant (medium or high) reduction in
economic output as a result of the COVID-19
crisis employed nearly 21 million of 37 million
workers in 2019. The impact on workers within
the impacted sectors will come in the form
of reduced working hours and wages or even
complete job loss. From 6.6 to 7.5 million
workers in Thailand are expected to experience
such disruption first hand.

Already the number of hours worked in Thailand
declined by nearly 6 per cent in the first quarter
2020, which is the equivalent to the loss of
2.2 million full-time jobs (assuming a 40 hour
working week). The decrease is expected to
increase to about 10 per cent in the second
quarter, thus bringing the estimated loss to a
full-time equivalency of 4 million jobs.

or here https://thailand.opendevelopmentmekong.net/topics/covid-19-impact-on-thai-labor-market/

or here   https://www.bot.or.th/English/MonetaryPolicy/MonetPolicyComittee/MPR/BOX_MRP/BOX1_MPREng_Sep20_labormarket.pdf

Sounds like your claimed 2 million extra unemployed is due to covid, not Prayut.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Sounds like your claimed 2 million extra unemployed is due to covid, not Prayut.

Correct me if I am wrong but the current government was in power at the time and shut most of the tourist industry down resulting in massive job losses?

How many workers did you lay off during that 2 year period?

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the current government was in power at the time and shut most of the tourist industry down resulting in massive job losses?

How many workers did you lay off during that 2 year period?

correct me if iam wrong.... most countries around the world closed down due to covids.

Your reasoning would suggest Prayut is responsible for that too.

Idiot logic at its finest !!

To answer your other question, from 2019 to current, we have laid off zero staff and infact have employed many due to the huge ramp up in demand for the product we manufacture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roger101 said:

He is not calling for 800 Baht immediately but over the terms of 2 parliaments (8 years)

The past two terms, min wage has risen by 60 baht..... not doubled.

The next two terms a doubling of min wage is extreme and will have massive impacts to manufacturing and exports.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

correct me if iam wrong.... most countries around the world closed down due to covids.

Your reasoning would suggest Prayut is responsible for that too.

Idiot logic at its finest !!

To answer your other question, from 2019 to current, we have laid off zero staff and infact have employed many due to the huge ramp up in demand for the product we manufacture.

Good for you. You must be one of the few companies that have taken on extra staff.

BTW Insults are not really appreciated.

You are absolutely correct that so many countries shut down a lot due to Covid. From what I can read however, unemployment has gone down greatly as well, though not nearly enough for some reason in Thailand.

Many posts on this forum suggest the same.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

The past two terms, min wage has risen by 60 baht..... not doubled.

The next two terms a doubling of min wage is extreme and will have massive impacts to manufacturing and exports.

So in 8 years the daily rate has gone up by ONLY 60 baht a day, though without checking I suspect that the cost of living has gone up more than that.