Hungary can ‘no longer be considered a full democracy,’ says EU Parliament

Scott

10 minutes ago, RayC said:

If I pose a question and someone goes to the trouble of supplying a link which addresses the issue, I read it and try to digest its' contents. If I then think that the answer is flawed, I may pose a supplementary.

What I don't do is simply dismiss the answer as inconsequential and/or false and instantly forget about it because I don't like it's contents. But hey, each to their own 

If you don't think that these facts are correct please provide evidence to support this claim. Otherwise, it's just another  example of  "I know what I know" and "shoot the messenger".

You didn't supply any links in this thread immediately prior to your comment with the link that I did read.. Maybe you didn't?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Nah. 

It appeared that the previous UK administration shared your view, which probably goes a long way to explaining the lack of Brexit opportunities afforded to the UK by other nations.

The new administration can't do any worse in this regard, can it?

36 minutes ago, placeholder said:

When someone challenges a source by writing this: "The Washington Post is a rag. It's the equivalent of quoting The Daily Star. " what other interpretation can be rationally offered?

A rag is a common term for a low quality publication. The comment was a personal opinion - not an accusation of lying. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, RayC said:

It appeared that the previous UK administration shared your view, which probably goes a long way to explaining the lack of Brexit opportunities afforded to the UK by other nations.

The new administration can't do any worse in this regard, can it?

I have no idea what you're on about now so I will leave you to confuse some other poor sod. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You didn't supply any links in this thread immediately prior to your comment with the link that I did read.. Maybe you didn't?

I have no intention of supplying exactly the same link to the same person in every individual thread. 

Either you are being deliberately obtruse and difficult or you have problems with your memory.

Edited by RayC
Spelling

16 hours ago, nauseus said:

And you were giving me a lesson in arithmetic? The EU is not all about economics - this was not the main driver of the leave vote in the UK - try and get used to that.  

And yet you misapplied an arithmetical reckoning to the issue whyi?

On 9/26/2022 at 3:17 PM, nauseus said:

27 countries 5.5x the size of just one - outstanding.

28 minutes ago, nauseus said:

A rag is a common term for a low quality publication. The comment was a personal opinion - not an accusation of lying. 

Are you taking your instructions from Mordor?

You're comments are growing increasingly tendentious. JohnnyF dismissed the facts I offered by calling the Washington Post a rag like the Daily Mail. Now maybe to your way of thinking he was calling the Washington Post low quality because of the cheap newsprint it's still printed on?

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

The notion that the Washington Post would sanction lying about something so easy to disprove is just nuts. Such a belief says a lot about its critics but very little about reality. Anyway, I took a wild crazy chance and googled "Italy gets access to almost $200 billion"  

Against all odds these turned up:

"Meloni has repeatedly sought to calm fears she would challenge European Union rules designed to keep deficits in check, or jeopardize almost 200 billion euros ($196 billion) in recovery funds from the bloc by seeking to renegotiate some of the terms. Any change in Italy’s pro-EU stance could exacerbate fears about the country’s colossal debt burden."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-25/far-right-leader-is-in-box-seat-to-succeed-mario-draghi-in-italy

"Meloni has long been a Euroskeptic — and in the past has talked about taking Italy out of the common currency, the euro, and even of leaving the European Union. But she has repeatedly promised she'll work with the EU and can be trusted to manage the 200 billion euros ($194 billion) Italy has received in European pandemic recovery funds."

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/24/1124685476/giorgia-meloni-italy-election

"Italy’s next government cannot expect Brussels to renegotiate the fundamentals of a €200bn EU-funded Covid-19 recovery plan and must stick firmly to the reform pledges that Rome has made, the EU’s economic commissioner has warned. Paolo Gentiloni said it was in Italy’s interests to press ahead with reforms to reboot its underperforming economy, no matter who won snap elections in September after the collapse of prime minister Mario Draghi’s government. “You know the Latin pacta sunt servanda — agreements must be kept,” Gentiloni, a former Italian prime minister, said in an interview."

https://www.ft.com/content/a0d78778-2d10-47e6-88a9-6fc70356fa9d

"Italy has huge amounts of EU money on the line. It is awaiting nearly €200 billion in EU cash and loans as part of the country’s massive share of the bloc’s coronavirus recovery stimulus package.

In order to secure each instalment, the government must deliver on a long list of commitments to reform and cut back spending made by previous administrations."

https://www.euractiv.com/section/elections/news/eu-sees-trouble-but-no-breakdown-with-italy-far-right-in-power/

Enough?

Negotiations being done in public. A little classless if I may say so.

But I have to admit, 200 Billion is one heck of a bribe to keep Italy on side. The EU clearly know what's at stake if they were to leave.

The house of cards is clearly teetering on the brink of collapse. Bribes to dissatisfied nations will only delay the inevitable. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Negotiations being done in public. A little classless if I may say so.

But I have to admit, 200 Billion is one heck of a bribe to keep Italy on side. The EU clearly know what's at stake if they were to leave.

The house of cards is clearly teetering on the brink of collapse. Bribes to dissatisfied nations will only delay the inevitable. 

Your prediction that Meloni's victory somehow signals that the EU is teetering on collapse is laughable. In fact, in 2019, Meloni dropped her opposition to the EU because it doesn't play well with Italians. 72% of Italians want to stay in the EU.

Edited by placeholder
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

That's been the familiar refrain for I don't know how long yet the EU still exists.

Maybe the collapse of the EU will coincide with the promised economic benefits of Brexit?

On the other hand.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

That's been the familiar refrain for I don't know how long yet the EU still exists.

Maybe the collapse of the EU will coincide with the promised economic benefits of Brexit?

On the other hand.....

It's hard to take seriously people who offer predictions like this as some sort of rebuttal. Especially when the evidence is so thin.

19 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Because it helps to mask the mind numbingly inane decision to leave the EU, the common market the UK had unlimited access to, with hundreds of millions of potential customers right on their doorstep.

Don't know what was the worst decision ever made by an electorate in a Western democracy; Brexit or the election of trump (although to be fair he did get less votes than his rival).

One thing is for sure, both outcomes have launched their respective countries on a markedly downward trajectory.

Shame then that the EU bureaucracy was unable to make their mess project more attractive to the UK citizens. Perhaps because it's a bad idea in the first place. Had it just stayed a Common Market instead of trying to cobble together a political union it's likely none of this would have happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Shame then that the EU bureaucracy was unable to make their mess project more attractive to the UK citizens. Perhaps because it's a bad idea in the first place. Had it just stayed a Common Market instead of trying to cobble together a political union it's likely none of this would have happened.

If that's supposed to be an excuse for the utter fallacy that was the Brexit vote then you failed miserably.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It seems you did not notice it's the member States who made these decisions.

• Like 1