Authorities Warn Public to Brace for Heavy Rainfall

webfact

image.jpeg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government has warned the public to brace for heavy rain nationwide until September 21.

According to Deputy Secretary-General to the Prime Minister and Acting Government Spokesperson Anucha Burapachaisri, the Meteorological Department has forecast heavy rain in most regions of the country until September 21.

People are advised to prepare for the possibility of flash floods and overflow, which could threaten their safety and well-being. Fishermen are meanwhile urged to exercise caution due to strong winds expected across the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand.

The spokesperson added that the government has ordered relevant departments to monitor flood-prone areas, clear any water obstacles and ensure that drainage systems and hydraulic structures remain operational. The government also emphasized the importance of communication and public relations in preventing unexpected accidents and serious damage.

The Office of National Water Resources (ONWR) has meanwhile been tasked with developing and implementing a water management strategy for this year’s rainy season.

The ONWR reported that it evaluated and updated water management regulations, prepared machinery and equipment for 5,382 water management nationwide, and repaired and improved 649 water banks with a total length of 6,440 km for flood prevention in high-risk areas.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG220917171920533

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-09-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

What do they expect us to do?  Buy reinforced umbrellas?  Dig big holes to create new ponds?  I guess I am braced for it up to a point, simply by staying indoors, but I suppose I might still get flooded.

I have no idea what these sorts of warnings are supposed to achieve.  

I think it's all part of the worldwide agenda to gain control of the populace through fear.  If the rain comes, or if it doesn't, just being warned will already have had some effect to this end.  But I had similar thoughts to you when I first read the article.

• Like 1

Just like in America, people build houses where they don't belong, to have a place "by the sea", to show off. Millions of people live in areas where past history has told them not to build, yet, just like in new Orleans, they get flooded, then rebuild again, in the same places. This is why insurance companies won't allow flood coverage, and when the people lose everything, they're sol. Many well to do's build houses on hills overlooking the ocean, again, to show off, not understanding, or caring,  they've created an eyesore. Flood prone areas will always flood. Just takes time.

Edited by fredwiggy

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Oh yes...... have been woken by the heavy rain many times in the last month. 

Is it the heavy rain, or the noise from your neighbours (or maybe even your own) tin-/plastic-roofing to protect your car from the falling rain? We bought at house in a nice mid-scale gated community with conrete roofing. During the first months, we enjoyed to listen to the gentle sound of rain falling on the ground or the concrete roof, but soon all thai-neighbours installed that damn tin-/plastic-roofing, so now we are being woken up, every time heavy rain falls and have to keep doors/windows closed to minimize the noise.

6 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

How about we just get everyone with a gun to shoot at the clouds all at the same time? Won't that make the rain go away?

No.

To quote the late Spike Milligan:

'There are holes in the sky where the rain comes in. The holes are small that's why rain is thin'

20 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Has "this year's rainy season" just begun?

Probably, and officials swear that rainfall has never been that heavy, and that in the past no-one would have imagined wide-spread flooding as a possibility... What a surprise!

Edited by StayinThailand2much

16 hours ago, Xonax said:

Is it the heavy rain, or the noise from your neighbours (or maybe even your own) tin-/plastic-roofing to protect your car from the falling rain?

Well occasionally neighbour's dogs are a nuisance... my own roof is tiled and has an insulating foam applied to the underside several inches thick, car port is tiled.....but on the other side to the main bedroom. Windows double glazed too, Point being, if it is noisy enough to wake me, it is fair chucking it down.