In Your Opinion: What's the best place for living in Thailand?

3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

I guess you can have vigorous exercise with your 2 Thai beauties in an outdoor bathtub like that but not the same as actually swimming.

You can swim in the ocean, there's lots of water. 

The beach has lots of fun waves, good cardio, just pushing hard, walking vigorously works up a sweat. 

6 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Isaan is boring. I like boring. As with living in any rural area I have found, if you didn't bring it with you, it ain't there.

I find Isaan to be "real"

As much as I like Bangkok, most of it is just commercial artificial <deleted>, downtown anyway.

Sure it's fun, for a while. But it's like living in an amusement park - it doesn't feel like real life. And the dreggs of society have flocked here especially to cause mischief with us. Again, fun for a while. But there's more to life.

Gimme a 60 baht large bottle of beer overlooking a lake in Isaan, over Soi Cowboy any day of the week.

But everything on moderation, I suppose.

Isaan has more than it's fair share of socioeconomic problems, particularly outside the cities.

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Not in Thailand -- there is no ocean.

Wait I thought the Andaman sea was a part of the Indian Ocean?

https://realaquatics.co.uk/blogs/news/how-deep-are-our-oceans-and-seas-the-andaman-sea

The Andaman Sea is also known historically as the Burma Sea. The Andaman Sea is a marginal sea of the north eastern Indian Ocean bounded by the coastlines of Myanmar and Thailand along the Gulf of Martaban, and the west side of the Malay Peninsula. The Andaman Sea is separated from the Bay of Bengal to its west by the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. 

[quote]

...Pattaya is for those wanting a night lifeand like the bar scene,

[/quote]

It is also very suitable for those who do not seek a nightlife/bar scene ???? . I recently lived in Pattaya, (and also some 12 years ago).  I can't remember ever setting foot in a bar in Pattaya, yet I still somehow managed to have a great time !

• Like 1

Bangkok for some weird reason. I know its polluted, stinky, sometimes overcrowded, but....

I think it depends on the location: I can't imagine how folks live at Onnut, but I used to live at Pracha Sonkro (Sonklo?) near Huay Kwang market and assume that's similar <deleted>. Also used to live few years in a condo on 23 floor - night view is great but than they built megamall and life became horrible with honks and whistles. Finally ended with a house in moo baan - quite, peaceful, great neighbors, cleaner air, but than there came floods and power shortages.

IMO Bangkok is not the right place to live unless you have to be there for business/work/job. Friend got whole townhouse at Kampenphet Soi 70-something for mere 4,xxx /month and it looks amazingly different, consider its just few kilometers from Wong Wieng Yay.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:19 AM, Peterw42 said:

I have lived all over and ended up in Pattaya (the last place I thought I would live).

For me, its got a bit of everything, Bangkok type urban city without the Bangkok price tag, a couple of ks from the city centre there are nice beaches, rural villages, islands. You can be part of the tourist universe, or part of normal Thai living. Expat, sexpat, tourist, quiet life, busy party life. 500 baht a day or 5,000 baht a day.

Whatever lifestyle you seek, you can find it in or around Pattaya, An hour from BKK and all the infrastructure and all the lifestyle choices.

Its unfortunate, but most of the commentary focuses on the sex tourism side of things but never mentions the other side if things.

I agree absolutely.

After my first visit I was shocked about Pattaya, so many crazy things. Good for 2 days party and then far away fromit.
My second trip ten year later, was different, living in Jomtien, spending more time and I realize there ary many thing you can do in Pattaya.

Beside this you have also (like BKK) many exelent Restaurants.
Further, what I like most, the location of Pattaya near to Airports near to Island. From there you can go everywhere.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Jomtien for me. Close enough to Pattaya yet far away enough as well.

Wongamat for me, for the same reasons… Far enough away from the madness to have a quiet life by the beach, close enough to the madness to be in the middle of it within 20 mins.

I do miss living in Bangkok but am much happier here & if I were to move it would probably be to South Jomtien (Cetus Condo area). 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NativeBob said:

I think it depends on the location: I can't imagine how folks live at Onnut,

It wasn't that long ago On Nut was the end of the BTS line and there was nothing there but Tesco, the market across the road, and plenty of cheap little fan rooms where all the Sukhumvit workers lived.

What's it like now? Surely, must be better?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 2009 said:

It wasn't that long ago On Nut was the end of the BTS line and there was nothing there but Tesco, the market across the road, and plenty of cheap little fan rooms where all the Sukhumvit workers lived.

Hm, I used to visit a factory over there [long ago] and that was a <deleted>hole, later went there few times, last time it was few years ago. IMO Onnut (from start till Sukhumvit) is pretty sh**ty area to live. Yet, few friends are living there and like it! Figures...

Nonthaburi is nice and way more affordable than Bangkok Metro, cleaner and more quite. But I'd stick to Saphan Kuay area: Chatuchak and fun night district. Love it! 

Also, there're plenty of ways to get to Chonburi over weekend, go nuts and return to BKK saying "what happened in Pattaya stays in Pattaya". Very convenient.

Edited by NativeBob
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NativeBob said:

Hm, I used to visit a factory over there [long ago] and that was a <deleted>hole, later went there few times, last time it was few years ago. IMO Onnut (from start till Sukhumvit) is pretty sh**ty area to live. Yet, few friends are living there and like it! Figures...

Nonthaburi is nice and way more affordable than Bangkok Metro, cleaner and more quite. But I'd stick to Saphan Kuay area: Chatuchak and fun night district. Love it! 

Also, there're plenty of ways to get to Chonburi over weekend, go nuts and return to BKK saying "what happened in Pattaya stays in Pattaya". Very convenient.

I stayed there, good food. Skytrain. Not bad.

Better than Pattaya.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NativeBob said:

Unless the lb follows you

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

I lived in On Nut for 3 years & loved it... Stayed at Ideo Verve so was right next to the BTS/Century Mall/a Small Beer Garden, Had Tesco Lotus /Beacon Square across the road & a huge Big C around the corner. 

Again, it was far enough away from the "Action" to not have to live with the noise, but close enough that I could be in Soi Cowboy or Nana in 20 mins (I preferred Sois 20 & 22 (RIP Queens Park but nowadays the new beer complex on Soi 7 seems to be doing quite well).  

Great Place to live & would return to that Condo if were to move back to Bangkok. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I lived in On Nut for 3 years & loved it... Stayed at Ideo Verve so was right next to the BTS/Century Mall/a Small Beer Garden, Had Tesco Lotus /Beacon Square across the road & a huge Big C around the corner. 

Again, it was far enough away from the "Action" to not have to live with the noise, but close enough that I could be in Soi Cowboy or Nana in 20 mins (I preferred Sois 20 & 22 (RIP Queens Park but nowadays the new beer complex on Soi 7 seems to be doing quite well).  

Great Place to live & would return to that Condo if were to move back to Bangkok. 

Seemed good to me. Suk is great. 

• Like 1