In Your Opinion: What's the best place for living in Thailand?

5 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

Kanchanaburi,

The city has everything you need

I'm sure it does, but it's missing the ocean. 

I need a beach, the seaside. 

Soothing and relaxing listening to the waves splashing. 

I go for a ride on my motorbike or bicycle by the beach everyday, normally in the morning and evening. 

It's medicinal. 

All my life, growing up in Australia and living in Thailand for many years now, I've always lived close to the beach. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, connda said:

Lamphun province.  It's off the chart for most farangs.

I lived there for a couple years. No beach but better than Chiang Mai to live in. C M is only a short trip away.

If anyone has an interest, the temple that was in one of the Rambo movies is not far from Lamphun, and a pleasant day out. It's above the Temple of the Footprint, and has a road to drive up ( the stair climb is very, very long ). Fantastic view. If I was going to be a monk I'd choose that place.

Plenty of great scenic adventures in that area like the MHS loop, and Cave Lodge ( lots of caves worth visiting.

You'd have to try hard to be bored living there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I never have and we don't do that now on our bikes trips. 

Wherever we decide to stop we ask Thai people where to stay, a Google Search on phone for somewhere is a last resort.

Yes, that's the way to go. If I'd researched all the trips I made I might have not done them to my loss.

I did one trip through the jungle that took about 4 hours in 1st and 2nd gear, but worth it. Before starting on the jungle road we asked locals for directions and they told us not to do it as too difficult!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Great place to visit but even slower than Hu Hin/Pranburi. We visit for a week every 6 months and stay in town and on the River in a floating resort off the grid for a few days.

I stayed in one of those floating rooms, but never again as the unmuffled long tails going past were too annoying.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

So if you watched Soi Nana on youtube you wouldnt go?

Someone in Glasgow or Wellington would benefit from a video on somewhere overseas they havent been.

If you never been to Peru or Chile a video or 2 would help to decide where to go.

Half the fun of travel is experiencing things for oneself, not as some other person did. I'd never watch a VDO of a place I'd never been, though I'd read up about it- back then it was in a Lonely Planet book.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'm sure it does, but it's missing the ocean. 

I need a beach, the seaside. 

Soothing and relaxing listening to the waves splashing. 

What ocean? Waves? In Thailand? give me a 25 meter salt-water swimming pool anytime versus the beach.

for listening to the real ocean waves splashing how about this (not Thailand BTW)

59 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Then, when it all goes wrong one can walk away.

Cheer up sport.

Your attitude is so negative, believe in yourself.

Have positive thoughts......... things are going well and will always go well etc. 

Change your ways, you will find that positive thoughts will guide you to a much happier life. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

What ocean? Waves? In Thailand? give me a 25 meter salt-water swimming pool anytime versus the beach

Down here in Pattaya and Jomtien there are waves, the beach can be quite noisy with the waves splashing.

There's a little outcrop of rocks, just by Pattaya Park, next to Sea Rescue. 

It's great to see the small creatures living amongst the rocks and listening to the waves splashing the rocks. 

A salt water pool can get boring, nice to have but it's static, never changing, the beach is so dynamic, never looks the same, lots of people enjoying themselves, having a good time. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

A salt water pool can get boring, nice to have but it's static, never changing, the beach is so dynamic, never looks the same, lots of people enjoying themselves, having a good time

A swimming pool is only static if you are static. I actually swim. Distance. About 1000 meters. Almost every day. Can't (easily) do that  at the beach.

And there is no ocean on Thailand borders.

Edited by jerrymahoney

35 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

give me a 25 meter salt-water swimming pool anytime

18 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

A swimming pool is only static if you are static. I actually swim. Distance. About 1000 meters. Almost every day.Can't (easily) do that  at the beach. 

It's good to read about your exercise but your view never changes.

It's static. 

44 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

give me a 25 meter salt-water swimming pool anytime

Naaah, too much upkeep. This is all you need.

Enough room for myself and a couple of gorgeous Thai Beauties. 

Afternoons shaded by the lovely trees and the soft sound of water splashing from the waterfall.

An esky full of beer and I'm in heaven. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Naaah, too much upkeep. This is all yoI guess you can u need.

Enough room for myself and a couple of gorgeous Thai Beauties. 

I guess you can have vigorous exercise with your 2 Thai beauties in an outdoor bathtub like that but not the same as actually swimming.

55 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

What ocean? Waves? In Thailand? give me a 25 meter salt-water swimming pool anytime versus the beach.

for listening to the real ocean waves splashing how about this (not Thailand BTW)

There is one spot on a beach on Lanta that has large ( and dangerous )  waves. I wouldn't remember exactly where now though, as it was long ago )The only decent waves I've ever seen in LOS, though Than Sadet had peaceful wave sounds I liked to go to sleep with.

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Down here in Pattaya and Jomtien there are waves, the beach can be quite noisy with the waves splashing.

There's a little outcrop of rocks, just by Pattaya Park, next to Sea Rescue. 

It's great to see the small creatures living amongst the rocks and listening to the waves splashing the rocks. 

A salt water pool can get boring, nice to have but it's static, never changing, the beach is so dynamic, never looks the same, lots of people enjoying themselves, having a good time. 

Pattaya beach nice this morning, big wind blowing inshore

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Indian food. English breakfast is the only good Brit food imo

20220910_120642.jpg

Well the urban legend is that Chicken Tikka Masala was invented and first put on the menu by an Indian restaurant in Birmingham, England a long time ago and has since grown to be, supposedly the most popular Indian restaurant Curry in the world.

therefore,  English food...

Phuket ( kamala) gets my vote, 
its at heart a rural moslem village but with the added expat stuff 
walkable to everything< plenty of places to rent & eat

The mtns at ur back , beach in front
20+ years and when ever i leave i cant wait to get back home