In Your Opinion: What's the best place for living in Thailand?

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's not unusual, many people have only been to Pattaya. I actually avoided Pattaya for 15 years and instead travelled round Thailand and other countries, funny for me that i now live there

Need to be young and good looking elsewhere. See u in 15 years.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

"Any place in Thailand is good IF there are no worms like there are in America"

These are an expensive delicacy in my GF's village, although not as big as Aussie witchetty grubs. Apparently they grow in bamboo.

A Chiang rai condo and my GF's village is all I want or need.

villagefood1.jpg

My bird would love those.  The only ones I can find for her are fried.  Ugg.

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I'm living a beach place with hills, of which some a high enough to be small mountains. I carefully checked at a number of places in Thailand before I decided to settle, where I've been living so far 17 outstanding years.

I'm into all year summer and barefoot Christmas, so I found an island in the southern part of the Gulf that is never too cold, nor too warm. Big enough for the all the comforts one needs - airport, cinemas, hospitals, night- and party-life, schools, shopping malls, trendy pubs and restaurants etc. - and small enough to still not being a real city...:thumbsup:

Not too bad an afternoon view either...

image.jpeg.cd22797422e00086e38b7a317164750c.jpeg

Samui. 2005 last time i went. Should go back.  That 17 years flew by.

Seemed nice back then. Bit commercial though.

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:29 AM, CharlieH said:

Each to their own, one mans paradise is another mans hell. 

I prefer off the beaten track, but within striking distance of a town if I need anything.

Others cant survive without the hustle n bustle and "company" etc.

Well stated.  Ditto!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, connda said:

Rural anywhere preferably in the mountains but within an hour's drive to Big C and Makro for the times of the month that you stock up on food supplies.

Living the dream.

Rural_Lamphun_Da.jpg.737796c38c5b63fba71742be3e368ea5.jpg

Yeah, I agree. This beats the beach, easy.

It's great if you don't have children. Cos they don't have much of a future growing up there.

I could see myself going back to live there one day though.

20 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

It doesnt take 2 weeks to see Pattaya's atmosphere. It also helps reading guides or watching videos

So I would not need to actually visit Thailand and Pattaya if I had VR Glasses....good to know, now my travels can be done in the comfort of my own den....

47 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So I would not need to actually visit Thailand and Pattaya if I had VR Glasses....good to know, now my travels can be done in the comfort of my own den....

No, but you can do research on temples, beaches, restaurants, tours etc to save time. A youtube video on a temple or a river trip gives you an idea.

You dont buy a computer without researching it. Why spend a week doing a trip without researching it? 

12 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

No, but you can do research on temples, beaches, restaurants, tours etc to save time. A youtube video on a temple or a river trip gives you an idea.

You dont buy a computer without researching it. Why spend a week doing a trip without researching it? 

Why do a trip to Thailand when I live here....lol

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I never have and we don't do that now on our bikes trips. 

Wherever we decide to stop we ask Thai people where to stay, a Google Search on phone for somewhere is a last resort.

Exactly it makes life interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, 2009 said:

British food kicks Thai foods ass:

Fish n chips

Pie n mash

Stew

Sunday roast

Any variation of meat n two veg

Soup with bread butter

And don't get me started on quality, fresh, affordable ingredients. British is best.

British food might be best for british people, and american food for american, etc! Cant stand british food myself, but thats my taste. Thai food above many other kitchen in the world, but home best! 

• Like 2

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Kinda would ruin the trip. If id watched videos of Angkor Wat i probably wouldn't of bothered going

The point of a trip is to go where others have not trampled and made a popular destination tourist trap.  I miss the Thailand I was born in.  Visited many times in my youth places which today have become spoiled. Left in 1970 and did not return until the military brought me here on a mission in 1984. No I am not Thai, just born to two American service members here in BKK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A friend of mine many many years ago said Tourists to Thailand take 5 years to discover the real Thailand. The first trip is to Bangkok. The second to Phuket. The third Trip to Chiang Mai. The fourth trip to Ayutthaya, the the fifth trip to rural Issan or the deep south. Of course if they had 10 weeks to visit at one time they could do it all once and add in Pattaya and Hua Hin.  In the end however, home is what you make of it and how you want to live.  Many rent for a few years in locations before determining where they want to be.  It would be a mistake to decide you want to be in just one place without travelling and buying a condo or a home in that first location.  

Most people do take a long time to explore the country thoroughly, if they ever do it.

I'm probably the odd one out, as during my first holiday of 3 weeks I visited, in order, Bangkok, Yala,  Chiang Rai and Pattaya, with some one night stopovers in Chiang Mai and Bangkok in between. If Bangkok wasn't enough of a culture and temperature shock already, can you imagine what visiting Yala after a 20 hour train ride felt like?

Edited by MarcelV

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

British food might be best for british people

A selection of 'popular' items on a 'pub-grub' menu is hardly British food - just as Mary Poppins isn't London.

As for the original question, horses for courses, as suggested try several places renting for a few weeks to get a feel for what you like, identify the things missing. 

Edited by Stocky

11 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Kanchanaburi,

The city has everything you need, yet cross the river and it's rural Thailand with small villages, rice fields, and mountains. Inexpensive housing, a small strip of bars , and World War 2 history. 

Great place to visit but even slower than Hu Hin/Pranburi. We visit for a week every 6 months and stay in town and on the River in a floating resort off the grid for a few days.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

I live in a small country town. It's nice, and I got everything I need, close to the large shops and buses on the corner. In a small town you seem to have more Thai friends which is good as these friendships have lasted a long time. Also things are much cheaper here, living on a pension is a breeze.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Kinda would ruin the trip. If id watched videos of Angkor Wat i probably wouldn't of bothered going

So if you watched Soi Nana on youtube you wouldnt go?

Someone in Glasgow or Wellington would benefit from a video on somewhere overseas they havent been.

If you never been to Peru or Chile a video or 2 would help to decide where to go.

54 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I live in a small country town. It's nice, and I got everything I need, close to the large shops and buses on the corner. In a small town you seem to have more Thai friends which is good as these friendships have lasted a long time. Also things are much cheaper here, living on a pension is a breeze.

What town?