Wife is dead set on moving to London

cyril sneer

On 10/8/2022 at 11:16 PM, Cardano said:

As for your last comment you're totally wrong, it's only if one wants to live like a Thai upcountry bumpkin eating rice and offal for every meal that makes LOS cheap. Most westerners just want to enjoy the normal food that they grew up with in their own country. What you're implying is that all expats should live and eat like a Thai blue collar worker.

Never read such rubbish before on this forum.

I'm not implying that expats SHOULD do anything. If they want to live a western lifestyle in LOS, don't complain that it isn't cheap, because that is their choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2022 at 11:16 PM, Cardano said:

If you're talking about renting then compare central BKK and London rental prices, not much difference yet quality of London property is far superior to BKK.

I'm comparing like for like.

I wouldn't live in Bkk because it's expensive. Choose to live there, don't complain about the cost.

Compared to where I do live, I stayed in far superior accommodation in Chiang Mai for less than rent here.

Sometimes ate western food in restaurant- cheaper than takeaways here.

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not implying that expats SHOULD do anything. If they want to live a western lifestyle in LOS, don't complain that it isn't cheap, because that is their choice.

I eat a variety of foods in Thailand (Western, Meditaerian, Greek, Indian. Japanese, Korean, and hardly any Thai food except Tom Yum Kung (Thai comfort food for me). I find It is still cheap, specially all types of services. Just for an example, In the USA I just ordered today from Apple bees for a meal costing $20. Delivery charges, and numerous fees amounted to another $15. The delivery person won't deliver to my house because I paid a meagre 15% tips on the last delivery. In Thailand I find I can get comfort for far cheaper than in the USA. For example, taking a taxi, ordering foods when I don't want to cook, etc.  Nobody wants to replace my vanity top unless I change my entire vanity in the Bathroom. Labor is extremely expensive now in The USA. They say people are making more money doing tik tok than any jobs that involve labor. LOL

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yeah you have, lots of posters who want to eat out every meal, want imported wines and have their house air-con set at 24c. Not to mention drinking in gogos and buying lady drinks every evening.

Then wondering why they spend so much.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2022 at 6:32 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

Dental is very much waaaaaaaaay cheaper in Thailand, and I was registered with an NHS dentist in London.

I had teeth done in both countries, mainly Thailand because it's so much cheaper. Plenty of root canals and crowns.

Have you not been in Bkk since they built skytrain and underground?

Intercity buses are modern and certainly not clapped out pieces of junk. I've been on plenty and better than the National Express intercity buses in the UK that I used.

Trains were not the best, but very cheap compared to UK and I never had a problem with second class sleepers.

NHS dental treatment is free, same as NHS doctors surgery's and hospitals, so how is Thailand waaaaaaaaay cheaper? 

On 10/20/2022 at 6:39 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

So now you admit that a western lifestyle is expensive in Thailand. And yes of course it's their choice but that's the point you seem to keep missing by harping on about how everybody should live like a middle-class Thai if they want a cheap lifestyle. You can argue and defend all you want but it's a no-brainer that a western lifestyle in the UK is far cheaper than a western lifestyle in Thailand.

On 10/20/2022 at 6:56 AM, BritManToo said:

I live the same life in Thailand as I did in the UK.

Nice 3 bedroom house @ 210 pounds/month (mortgage), electricity and gas under 15 pounds/month.

English food and drink every day (cooked by me in my home).

Transport very cheap, car and m/c tax/MOT/fuel around 20% of the cost in the UK.

Not to mention the much younger woman in my bed every night, a woman who wouldn't even talk to me in the UK.

Back in 2016 I was living in a pals London bedsit, cost him 600,000 pounds + fees.

In the UK for the same money, I wouldn't even get a room in a house share with Somali/Afghan refugees.

your 5th line says it all...........may be you've yet to realise that in Thailand it's not about you but how fat your wallet is!

On 10/20/2022 at 6:45 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm comparing like for like.

I wouldn't live in Bkk because it's expensive. Choose to live there, don't complain about the cost.

Compared to where I do live, I stayed in far superior accommodation in Chiang Mai for less than rent here.

Sometimes ate western food in restaurant- cheaper than takeaways here.

There is no like for like basis between property in the UK and property in Thailand they're miles apart. UK construction is far far superior to anything built here that's why property in the UK is one of the best investments you can make. Where as here anywhere outside of BKK you will be lucky to even sell a second hand property but even if you do it will be break-even at best.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cardano said:

There is no like for like basis between property in the UK and property in Thailand they're miles apart. UK construction is far far superior to anything built here that's why property in the UK is one of the best investments you can make.

You've never looked around a Barrett Home then?

As for housing quality,

40,000 pound Chiang Mai home 8 years broken water pipe 1,000bht.

300,000 pound Oxford home 10 years rotting window frames 800 pounds.

500,000 Cornish home 9 years broken patio doors 2000 pounds.

I prefer the repair bills on my Thai home.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You've never looked around a Barrett Home then?

As for housing quality,

40,000 pound Chiang Mai home 8 years broken water pipe 1,000bht.

300,000 pound Oxford home 10 years rotting window frames 800 pounds.

500,000 Cornish home 9 years broken patio doors 2000 pounds.

I prefer the repair bills on my Thai home.

good for you!
£40K thai home 8 years later worth £40K if lucky.
£300K oxford home 10 years later worth north of £750K
£500K cornish home 9 years later worth north of £1M

£800 and £2000 in repairs over 9-10 years is nothing.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2022 at 8:39 PM, Cardano said:

NHS dental treatment is free, same as NHS doctors surgery's and hospitals, so how is Thailand waaaaaaaaay cheaper? 

Rubbish. I was registered with an NHS dentist and had to pay. It was cheaper than a private dentist, but still expensive.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=is+nhs+dental+treatment+free

Does UK have free dental care?

You can receive free NHS dental treatment if you're entitled to or named on: a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate. a valid HC2 certificate – which is available for people on a low income. a valid maternity exemption certificate.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:13 PM, Cardano said:

There is no like for like basis between property in the UK and property in Thailand they're miles apart. UK construction is far far superior to anything built here that's why property in the UK is one of the best investments you can make. Where as here anywhere outside of BKK you will be lucky to even sell a second hand property but even if you do it will be break-even at best.

LOL. British house I lived was pants. Tiny rooms, pathetic bathroom, horrid kitchen, badly built. Hospital housing I lived in from brand new - rubbish. Badly designed, walls so thin could hear flatmate across hall snoring, shoddy construction, tiny rooms, tiny bathroom, useless kitchen, no lounge, pathetic storage, water heater that broke, lift that trapped people between floors.

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. British house I lived was pants. Tiny rooms, pathetic bathroom, horrid kitchen, badly built. Hospital housing I lived in from brand new - rubbish. Badly designed, walls so thin could hear flatmate across hall snoring, shoddy construction, tiny rooms, tiny bathroom, useless kitchen, no lounge, pathetic storage, water heater that broke, lift that trapped people between floors.

What was the downside?

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Welcome to broken Britain.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 6:51 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

As in the post above, just say NO.

If you give in you'll regret it, IMO.

I wouldn't want to live there even having done so for 10 years.

You could try saying that she would have to pay at least half of all the bills and explain how little money she'll have after bills and tax.

I was going to take my wife to my western country till she said she would not pay anything for rent or bills. I'd have to pay all and everything she earned was hers.

Needless to say that was the end of that idea.

And your still with her ? i think she gave you the make up of your living arrangements, one step below a hooker for hire. 

On 9/21/2022 at 7:22 AM, spidermike007 said:

Has she spent time there? My wife wanted to move. Took here to the US for 2 months. It was so over priced, most people were so sad, stressed out, and bitter, so serious and lacking in joy, she could not wait to get back here. Me too. Very happy to be here. 

Just say no. I left. I don't want to go back. If you can't wrap your mind around that, we are not compatible. We are finished. Let's get divorced. Go to London on your own. If you can. Bye bye. See ya. 

So, your wife was overpriced? Unlucky????????

On 9/20/2022 at 5:02 PM, Bert got kinky said:

Has she ever been to the UK?

Take her on a mid autumn fortnight to Bradford and let her figure it out herself.

Or just have her monitor the weather channel.

Thai people usually can't believe how cold it is in UK.