Agent Has Passport But Not Show Visa Been Given Nor Reply

Ok.  Here is my predicament.  And What action should I take?

This was a 9 month visa prepurchased 6 months ago.  

I received the first 2 stamps no problem.

My last visa ended on 16.  I mailed my passport to them on Sept 2.  Two weeks in advance.

They replied as normal, asking for additional pics etc a week after getting my passport for immigration.

Everything seems normal.

Any question I have, they say they will have to get back to the school and back to me.  Or that the school will contact me. (The school NEVER contacts me)

4 days before end of visa, they quit replying to my PM's.

I called 2 days before 16, they answered, and said waiting on school.  

16 was Friday so I wait the weekend, and now have left 2 PM's again with no answer.

They advertise daily on their FB page of new visa runs, and stamps for their clients.  So they haven't run away into hiding and are seeking new business.

I'm going to call again today after I get some advice here.

If I was getting any communication, I would guess this more normal.  

What do I need to say to light a fire under their butt?  Or what action do I need to take against them? 

I cannot visit their office for direct interaction.  I'm in Pattaya and they are in Samui.  

@ubonjoe and anyone else?

***It's now 6 days after my known visa expired.  They have not  provided me verification that I have my new visa and am legal...and they've nearly had my passport for a month.

ADD the below in to my situation, and I'm really getting upset.

Of course I NEED my visa I paid for (being legal here the most important item) , but I also need my passport to get my drivers license which is a month long queue to schedule. 

I've already taken two 500 baht rides out there at an expense of nearly two hours a day to get the appointment set for Sept 27. 

I also have to get my certs again to GO to my appointment so I certainly don't want to miss my appointment and have to make a drive to make ANOTHER appointment and wait another month.

Edited by Dart12

Where is there office located.

You may have to go directly and confront them.

Bring your texts, IM's, and tracking number from the last mail with the passport sent to them.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

It's unfortunate that Thailand makes it so difficult to get foreign teachers when they absolutely need them with there education system amongst the worst in the world. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrJ2U said:

Bring your texts, IM's, and tracking number from the last mail with the passport sent to them.

It's unfortunate that Thailand makes it so difficult to get foreign teachers when they absolutely need them with there education system amongst the worst in the world. 

I'm not a teacher, but I understand why you think that in retrospect.  Unfortunately, I 'd need to fly to Samui from Pattaya.  Not gonna happen without a passport either.

When I chose this agent and school, I did as much vetting as I could.  Looking at reviews, how long in business, how long their sites were up.

And of course, the first few months were stellar service.  then they removed their stellar employee (IDK if she left, fired, or what).  And it's been terrible since.

And of course I have the PM's, acknowledgement of receipt of passport and Post receipt showing they accepted it.

plus a contract stating what they owe me for my full payment 9 months ago.

I honestly don't have a clue what action to take.  Obviously I don't see them trying to keep my passport.  That's quite illegal with dire consequences for them.

7 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I'm not a teacher, but I understand why you think that in retrospect.  Unfortunately, I 'd need to fly to Samui from Pattaya.  Not gonna happen without a passport either.

When I chose this agent and school, I did as much vetting as I could.  Looking at reviews, how long in business, how long their sites were up.

And of course, the first few months were stellar service.  then they removed their stellar employee (IDK if she left, fired, or what).  And it's been terrible since.

And of course I have the PM's, acknowledgement of receipt of passport and Post receipt showing they accepted it.

plus a contract stating what they owe me for my full payment 9 months ago.

I honestly don't have a clue what action to take.  Obviously I don't see them trying to keep my passport.  That's quite illegal with dire consequences for them.

PM if you're looking for a long established agent in Pattaya with an office in Central Pattaya.

Good luck! 

9 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Not gonna happen without a passport either.

You can use a Thai license (if you have one) if it indeed comes to the only option of going to the office.

Expensive though.

I heard there's a new Ferry to Samui starting.  12 hours, about 3,000 baht for a neat little room.  Leaves from Sattahip.

Good luck, I'm sure you will get things sorted. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

PM if you're looking for a long established agent in Pattaya with an office in Central Pattaya.

Good luck! 

I have an agent I used prior in Pattaya that I will go back to.  Nobody could help in pattaya last time.  I did extensive interviews of 14 agents before leaving pattaya area and finding plenty of solutions.

Thank you for the offer.

However, right now the problem is "What action to initiate, if any, against the current agent that has my passport?'

15 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

You can use a Thai license (if you have one) if it indeed comes to the only option of going to the office.

Expensive though.

I heard there's a new Ferry to Samui starting.  12 hours, about 3,000 baht for a neat little room.  Leaves from Sattahip.

I need my passport to get my thai license, which is scheduled for sept 27.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think the first thing you need to is get your passport from them.

Unless they have already gotten you extension done you are on a overstay now that will cost 500 baht a day.

You only choice may be to leave and re-enter the country after you get your passport back.

They are in Samui and I'm in Pattaya.  How can I get there if you are suggesting I go there physically.

**How can I find out if I've been stamped or not?

and what can I say to the agent to "scare" them into fulfilling their duty.

I mean, what are my recourses?  
Is a threat of reporting to police viable?  or not at all.  My passport is hostage (although they last said don't worry).  

They've been paid. I have contracts.  I have PM's.
I have bank transfer receipts.  I have post receipts.

@DrJack54 any suggestions to solve my Post?

Edited by Dart12

15 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

any suggestions to solve my Post?

@Dart12 feel bit useless re advice as you really are between rock and hard place.

The kicker being that the agent is in Samui.

Added to the fact that an employee of that agent has left company. 

The very first step is to find out where the passport is.

Agree easier said than done.

The bottom line is you need that pp in hand (with or without stamps) to move forward.

Worst case if you had pp is to exit if on overstay pay fine and return. 

Is there any possibility of someone making inquiries on your behalf in Samui.

If you continue with brick wall from them you possibly would need to report the passport lost/stolen.

Bottom line is you need pp in hand. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dart12 said:

I have an agent I used prior in Pattaya that I will go back to.  Nobody could help in pattaya last time.  I did extensive interviews of 14 agents before leaving pattaya area and finding plenty of solutions.

Thank you for the offer.

However, right now the problem is "What action to initiate, if any, against the current agent that has my passport?'

I need my passport to get my thai license, which is scheduled for sept 27.

If they don't contact you You'll have to contact the police and make a report.

You'll need to report it to the Samui dept closest to the agent.

I imagine you aren't the only one in the position with this agent.  Perhaps the "trusted" person took the passport in retaliation for being fired. 

Or you could report it missing or stolen and get a new passport.

Very unfortunate. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dart12 said:

They are in Samui and I'm in Pattaya.  How can I get there if you are suggesting I go there physically.

**How can I find out if I've been stamped or not?

and what can I say to the agent to "scare" them into fulfilling their duty.

I mean, what are my recourses?  
Is a threat of reporting to police viable?  or not at all.  My passport is hostage (although they last said don't worry).  

They've been paid. I have contracts.  I have PM's.
I have bank transfer receipts.  I have post receipts.

@DrJack54 any suggestions to solve my Post?

As a last resort, you can fly direct from Pattaya (U-tapao) to Samui on Bangkok Airways.

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Expensive though.

Last time I visited I needed passport entering the ferry on Koh Samui, and on arrival on Koh Phangan without car. It might be ok with a photocopy. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Does this not require a passport to fly?  

Domestic flight should be OK if you have photo ID (home country drivers license etc) 

BTW checked U-tapao to Samui was surprised is was approx 2300baht one way. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

He is in Pattaya...the passport is in Samui ????

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I was not suggesting you try an get it back in person. If you can contact them ask them to send it back to you so can leave the country it the extension has not been done yet.

Tell them if you don't get a response from them tell them that you are going to report your passport stolen.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

I can appreciate your concern. The only reassurance I can give you is that these kinds of cases are not uncommon, and usually just mean the agent is busy/disorganised, and there is an administrative hiccup which usually resolves itself with nothing worse that a few white hairs.

One other person said something similar which is why I did not freak out immediately.  

I contacted them by phone 2 days before my stamp officially ended (because she was no longer replying to FB PM's). She answered.

Response was basically:  It ok.  School busy.  I see them tonight and let you know or have them contact you.

My official 'end day' was friday, so , I let it go because I have to kind of assume to let people do their jobs and that they are professionals,

and that at this point they hadn't done any real wrong, or failed me yet.

It's now almost a week after with no FB PM response (all I had ever used with them the first 6 months).

I wanted to get responses here before my next call to the agency, for some more seasoned opinions.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

@Dart12 feel bit useless re advice as you really are between rock and hard place.

If you continue with brick wall from them you possibly would need to report the passport lost/stolen.

Bottom line is you need pp in hand. 

Jack, and Ubon Joe.... one other person mentioned for me to just go to the Embassy and state my passport lost and to simply get a new one.

To me, this doesn't make sense for several reasons. 
1 the agent was paid roughly 17k for this last 3 months of visa.  I should get it. 
2. It makes me look inept to immigration with more overstays.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I show I did everything I'm supposed to and that my tardiness is due to a possibly crook agent, I'd get some lee-way?

But if going straight for a lost passport is fast, please let me know.  I thought that in itself took at couple weeks to get if requested?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input.

8 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Another lesson for everyone...these visa agents aren't dodgy until they are.

I feel like this is bad contractors at home. 

ie:  they spent the money already from 6 months ago and now maybe robbing paul to pay peter to get ours done (hopefully).

9 months is a long time for some people to budget money.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

I can appreciate your concern. The only reassurance I can give you is that these kinds of cases are not uncommon, and usually just mean the agent is busy/disorganised, and there is an administrative hiccup which usually resolves itself with nothing worse that a few white hairs.

You must, of course, keep trying to contact them, by phone if possible, but there is no reason to panic just yet. I appreciate that the school does not contact you, but maybe you can contact them, and they will be able to tell you the status. 

I am confused.  You are on a student visa which means you are going to school.  But you are not able to contact the school because it is in Samui ayyou are in Pattaya

My suggestion is listen to ubonjoe

Phone them.  Ask for your passport ad vvvvv isr the he em that they have  5 days then report it stolen and advise the embassy where you think it is.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

You could take the train from BKK to Samui and then the ferry...don't think you'd need your passport for that; stay at cheap hotels and they may let you slide on the passport copy for registration. 

Another lesson for everyone...these visa agents aren't dodgy until they are.

I bought some train tickets at Hualomphong a few months back and confirm that they wanted to see ID. since I don't have Thai DL I showed my passport. BUT, I was able to buy tickets for my friend and his Thai wife by showing photos of his passport page and her Thai ID card. 

you can also buy train tickets online but I haven't tried that service yet. not a massive train fan.

dunno about the ferry though. you'd hope no ID is required but another member has said they were required to show passport. 

if that's the case, hopefully a photo on phone or photocopy of PP will suffice. assuming of course that the OP took such precautions. easy to forget that sort of stuff if you're a scatterbrain like me.

that's why I suggested Khao San Road, they might be a bit more flexible there. but I haven't actually tried booking any travel there recently so I could be talking out of my a®se. if OP really needs to know I guess I could head over there and find out, the craft beer at the Sheepshank is quite tasty ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

Last time I visited I needed passport entering the ferry on Koh Samui, and on arrival on Koh Phangan without car. It might be ok with a photocopy. 

Interesting.

I've been using my Thai drivers license when flying domestic and staying in hotels.

Perhaps Samui is more strict.

Keep the riff raff like me out. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Interesting.

I've been using my Thai drivers license when flying domestic and staying in hotels.

Perhaps Samui is more strict.

Keep the riff raff like me out. 

I have been travelling quite alot without passport, but it is always some places giving you hassel for not bringing it. Koh Phangan the police waiting for us foreign passenger who was walking, and specific for passport. Taking picture of front page and visa page. Same as i needed to register with passport when arriving with car. Most hotels chains require also passport now, but local smaller resort is often happy with DL.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I have been travelling quite alot without passport, but it is always some places giving you hassel for not bringing it. Koh Phangan the police waiting for us foreign passenger who was walking, and specific for passport. Taking picture of front page and visa page. Same as i needed to register with passport when arriving with car. Most hotels chains require also passport now, but local smaller resort Ms is often happy with DL.

Do you have a picture or photocopy by any chance?

It always happens the one time you don't have your passport on you.

Hopefully you get this straightened out within next 48 hours.

Are they open on the weekends?

I know my agent isn't.