Any advantage for a foreigner to register his name in the Thai Registration Book (Blue Tabien Baan)?

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Mostly it's hassle and little benefit getting a yellow book, although they'll be on soon listing how great it is

They put so many obstacles in my way, maybe seeking an incentive to do their job, that I walked out. Of course, my wife with me still offered them a wai for taking the pi** at us, as that's the Thai way.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, couchpotato said:

The OP's original post was if he could register his name on his wife's 'Blue Tibbian Baan'. Out of all the posts on the thread, only the first poster has answered the question (which of course is 'no he can't), and it balloned into useless Yellow Book and pink ID card posts. Amazing.

Apparently you need to get the yellow book before you can get your name in a blue book. If a condominium owner, the blue book gives certified ownership and you can register it as your place of residence, then you dont have to pay the new tax. Currently you may be the owner but the tax authorities assume you are renting it out so you have to pay tax. The amount is not much and getting the two books is a pain in the butt so much red tape. 

I have a Yellow book and it was easy to get. I sat in a chair 20 minutes, while my wife completed the transaction. All that was required of me was my passport and the 20 baht fee. 

When I applied for my 5 year DL last September, they required my passport, expired 2 yr license, yellow book and either a resident certificate or a pink ID card. 

I went to the Amphur's office (Mueang Surin) with my wife. I handed them my yellow book and passport. My wife signed a document, they took my photograph, printed my card and we were out the door, in less than 15 minutes at no cost. 

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They put so many obstacles in my way, maybe seeking an incentive to do their job, that I walked out. Of course, my wife with me still offered them a wai for taking the pi** at us, as that's the Thai way.

Yes they take the pi**, I've seen an agent advertising that they can get a yellow book for 5k so the root of them being difficult is they want bribes, sad excuse for humans

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kennw said:

Apparently you need to get the yellow book before you can get your name in a blue book.

I cannot get my name put in a Blue Book hence why one of the reasons why I obtained a Yellow Book. Even with Yellow Book I'm not allowed my name to be entered into a Blue Book.

10 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I cannot get my name put in a Blue Book hence why one of the reasons why I obtained a Yellow Book. Even with Yellow Book I'm not allowed my name to be entered into a Blue Book.

Dont know about if it is a house, but you can if you legally own a condo.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

you have your name in the condo blue book?

I only wish this was true.  I have my condo blue book which is basically blank and then my yellow book which lists myself and now the GF in it.  Yet for obtaining my licenses here at the BKK DLT they wanted a COR, but when I bought my cars and motorbike the yellow book worked fine.  Obviously a difference in individuals processing such items.

16 hours ago, puchooay said:

Interesting that you say Thai bureaucracies in the plural form.

I know some require it for vehicle registration, I don't as I get them registered in my wife's name. I also believe they are needed by some when applying for a driving licence, although my local office accepts a letter from the local police. I guess these two examples would be singular as it is the same department. What other instances are there where you have been asked for one?

I was recently asked to provide a resident certificate as proof of identity for KYC.

So far I have used them for opening bank accounts, applying for / renewing driving licence, buying and  selling motorbikes.

Also need blue book for renewing retirement extension.

As I live in an apartment building, my name isn't actually in the book. I just usually show a photocopy of said book and that has always proved sufficient for the last twelve years.

Edited by phetphet

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

you have your name in the condo blue book?

In the process, step 1 get immigration to give you a letter certifying your address, get the yellow book, then two members of the condo management to go with you to the umper to witness the blue book process.

15 hours ago, TaoNow said:

At the district office, try dressing in long pants and a tucked-in shirt, wai-ing them, and speaking in polite, respectful Thai.

Then see if they treat you differently than before. 

Do you wai every time you enter an office?

If not,  why is it deserved here?

Is the district office to help all, or only those who speak Thai?

Perhaps you and others with your obsequious attitude encourage the staff to act poorly to most of tne people they are there to serve.

Edited by JimmyJ

"...as a resident in our House Blue Book (Tabien Baan) which has my wife as the sole registered owner".

Just a small correction. The Tabien Baan (TB) book (all colours) is not a record of ownership. In fact it doesn't mention ownership of the land/house etc.

The Tabien Baan book is the official register of who is recorded as a resident of that house. Although often well out of date. It's common for a Thai person who comes from an upcountry family to ask the house master if he/she will allow them to put their name in the Tabien Baan book for the house/condo etc., where they are living in Bkk (or another place). They could be related  but it's not a requirement that they be related.

Some Thais take this subject seriously, some don't. However when a Thai person applies for something at:  an amphur office, a bank account, a contract to buy a fridge, a car etc., etc., they must, by Thai law, prove two things; 1). Their ID, using their Thai ID card or Thai passport (if they have one), and 2). Prove their address (Tabien Baan book). 

The house master (person responsible to keep this book up to date) is often not the owner of the property however in most cases the owner will have sanctioned someone (doesn't need to be a relative) to take care of the Tabien Baan book.

Foreigners can't decide 'I'll put my name in a blue TB or whatever colour book'. 

Being put in a Tabien Baan book depends on the type of visa the foreigner holds and very few foreigners have the required visa etc., to qualify to be entered into a blue book. One exception is foreigners who hold Thai PR (Thai Permanent Residence - also known as a Thai Certificate of Residence*).

*Note: Foreigners sometimes need to get a 'Certificate of Residence' from Thai Immigration to be able to get a Thai drivers license and some other things. This 'Certificate of Residence' document (for a drivers license etc.), is NOT necessarily connected to a TB book. The fpreigner goes to an Immigration office and asks for a 'Certificate of Residence' to get a drivers license etc., and shows perhaps a rental contract with an address and immigration use that to write the very simple 'certificate of Residence'' document.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

You can't.

What you can do is apply for a "Yellow" book, Going by the numerous previous threads on the topic, the requirements vary from office to office. 

It's probably best to go and ask.

The OP can go on the House Registration Document (single two sided sheet) and the OP's wife can sign a form to say that her husband can continue to reside in the home should she die before him (to some limited time). I did this when married and also now I am on the owners House Registration Document to the place I rent. The advantage is that should anything happen to the owner (and new owner wants to change things) I have at least a couple of years to find alternative accommodation. At least that's the idea but unsure about the reality.

20 minutes ago, kennw said:

In the process, step 1 get immigration to give you a letter certifying your address, get the yellow book, then two members of the condo management to go with you to the umper to witness the blue book process.

a no, you can't get your farang name in blue book, that's the point of the waste of time yellow book

• Like 1

A foreigner cannot have there name on a house blue book what you can do is get a yellow book along with a Thai issued pink ID card does it have its benefits yes you can walk into any car showroom and purchase a car in your own name without having to go to immigration to gat a letter . I get discount from my dentist ,I use it when flying within Thailand and booking into hotels I even get discount on one of my local ferries got it 6 years ago 250 baht and because of my age it’s for life no need to renew it when I had my covid vaccines I just turned up with my yellow book and pink card while other foreigners were having to bring lease agreements ,passports

• Like 1

"...as a resident in our House Blue Book (Tabien Baan) which has my wife as the sole registered owner".

Just a small correction. The Tabien Baan (TB) book (all colours) is not a record of ownership. In fact it doesn't mention ownership of the land/house etc.

The Tabien Baan book is the official register of who is recorded as a resident of that house. Although often well out of date. It's common for a Thai person who comes from an upcountry family to ask the house master if he/she will allow them to put their name in the Tabien Baan book for the house/condo etc., where they are living in Bkk (or another place). They could be related  but it's not a requirement that they be related.

Some Thais take this subject seriously, some don't. However when a Thai person applies for something at:  an amphur office, a bank account, a contract to buy a fridge, a car etc., etc., they must, by Thai law, prove two things; 1). Their ID, using their Thai ID card or Thai passport (if they have one), and 2). Prove their address (Tabien Baan book). 

The house master (person responsible to keep this book up to date) is often not the owner of the property however in most cases the owner will have sanctioned someone (doesn't need to be a relative) to take care of the Tabien Baan book.

Foreigners can't decide 'I'll put my name in a blue TB or whatever colour book'. 

Being put in a Tabien Baan book depends on the type of visa the foreigner holds and very few foreigners have the required visa etc., to qualify to be entered into a blue book. One exception is foreigners who hold Thai PR (Thai Permanent Residence - also known as a Thai Certificate of Residence*).

*Note: Beware of confusion. Foreigners sometimes need to get a 'Certificate of Residence' from Thai Immigration to be able to get a Thai drivers license and some other things. This 'Certificate of Residence' document (for a drivers license etc.), is NOT necessarily connected to a TB book. The foreigner goes to an Immigration office and asks for a 'Certificate of Residence to get a drivers license' etc., and shows perhaps a rental contract with an address and immigration use that to quickly write the very simple 'certificate of Residence for a driving license' document.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, puchooay said:

Interesting that you say Thai bureaucracies in the plural form.

I know some require it for vehicle registration, I don't as I get them registered in my wife's name. I also believe they are needed by some when applying for a driving licence, although my local office accepts a letter from the local police. I guess these two examples would be singular as it is the same department. What other instances are there where you have been asked for one?

Immigration when doing annual extension, proof of residence.

Ditto Bank when opening an account.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Theoretically, the Yellow Tabien Baan is the ultimate proof of address in Thailand. Thus, if I went to a DLT and they didn’t accept the Yellow Book I think I’d push it, ask for seniors - politely shake the tree, pull some strings and see where the fruit falls - I would at least like it explained to me clearly why the DLT does not accept something such as the Yellow Tabien Baan as a proof of address when most others do.

And you would get precisely nowhere. In their eyes, expats, farangs of all kinds,  don't count for much and their interpretation of Thai rules counts for nothing.  You just end up as one more angry/frustrated farang in a government  office.  Accept the realities here and move on. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

And you would get precisely nowhere. In their eyes, expats, farangs of all kinds,  don't count for much and their interpretation of Thai rules counts for nothing.  You just end up as one more angry/frustrated farang in a government  office.  Accept the realities here and move on. 

... ‘accept the realities’... I agree, but that doesn’t mean accepting everything an official tells us because I’ve noticed in Thailand that ‘officials’ are quite often incorrect and can be questioned, we just have to do so in manner which works (i.e. not complaining or getting emotional, but being professional, respectful and firm).

This whole idea some foreigners have that because someone has a uniform they are right is ridiculous... officials are human, they are just like us. 

Some foreigners wouldn’t say ‘boo’ to a policeman, yet the Police we may more regularly interact with are quite low down on the 'socio-economic' scale...  they have no idea of our status though, connections etc... when acting confidently, politely and firmly their attitude often quickly changes.

This is the same in many government offices, behave professionally, confidently, politely and firmly and we are treated extremely well - this means we can question things when we go about it the right way. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some foreigners wouldn’t say ‘boo’ to a policeman,

I'm sorry,  but I am one of those.  I am the 'grey man' here, I hope I am unnoticed, unheard, unseen, uncritical in the face of Thai authority, unquestioning and  uncomplaining in their sight. This is totally against my normal character and  It took me 3 years of living here to understand how it works here and to adopt that persona and it serves me very well.  I recommend it to others, especially to those who lose their cool in Immigration, DLT or the Land Office.   There seems to be a lot of those  people around.     

• Like 1