Any advantage for a foreigner to register his name in the Thai Registration Book (Blue Tabien Baan)?

8 minutes ago, flexomike said:

every time I go in for my extension they want proof of address and I hand them the yellow book with copies and they are fine, I am on a retirement extension not a marriage extension

Beats showing them a copy of the TM-30 doesn't it, at least for you and a few others.  The last two years I was asked at CW for my TM-30, but then others were not.  Different strokes for different I/O's it appears.  It would be so nice if the entire country was on the same page.  If they were we would not be having those who deny a yellow book and pink ID card are of use and can and have been used the way we state.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never have shown my passport for routine daily transactions at the bank in the last 4 years

BS. What are those 'daily transactions' you do that the bank seems to ignore? Banks are strict in Thailand with regards to procedure due to 'money laundering'. I cannot see your bank allowing you to skirt their security rules in not showing your passport. It leaves them vulnerable.

He's shows his Pink ID Card....  as do I.

It beats having to carry your passport around. 

That said - in bank transactions now are lot less necessary these days due to online Banking etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've opened 3 bank accounts none required a residence certificate, another false benefit of a yellow book

Which documents were required ??...  

IF they allowed you to open your Bank Account with only a Passport then you are lucky and in the minority.

Most people require more documentation when opening an account - the Yellow Tabien Baan services this purpose perfectly. Your statement is WRONG, it not a false benefit at all... Its one of the conveniences of having the Yellow Tabien Baan. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I was told that the pink ID card could only be obtained after first acquiring the yellow tabien bahn book--so if those "migrant workers" have the pink ID, they must have yellow TBs as well.

The Pink ID for migrant workers and for Expats with a Yellow Tabien ban are different systems - the cards look the same. 

The migrant worker card has slightly different information (it used to also have a bar code), it can be obtained without a Passport and sponsorship from an employer. 

On the other hand the Pink ID for Expats requires both a passport and house registration. 

The two are not the same: But, for some reason Neeraman really can’t stand the idea that foreigners have an Thailand issued ID card for foreigners, it seems to upset him - so he wants to throw as much dirt as possible...  his best attempt so far it to suggest westerners with the card are the same status as migrant workers !!...   its just a bit daft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which documents were required ??...  

IF they allowed you to open your Bank Account with only a Passport then you are lucky and in the minority.

Most people require more documentation when opening an account - the Yellow Tabien Baan services this purpose perfectly. Your statement is WRONG, it not a false benefit at all... Its one of the conveniences of having the Yellow Tabien Baan. 

Accomodation invoices were enough, so convenient 

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Accomodation invoices were enough, so convenient 

Fair enough, it would be great if it was that way for everyone, but as I wrote, you are in a small minority - you were lucky. 

What Bank and Branch ? (slightly off topic - but that might help others in the area if they want to open an account).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He's shows his Pink ID Card....  as do I.

No I cannot see that happening. Passport only for farangs at Bangkok Bank. You can only open an account with one nothing else as a farang. And for every transaction a passport has to be up to date. I got refused tuther month cuz my account hadn't been updated to my new passport. No other form of identity permitted.

Thats not my experience.  I hold an account with BKK Bank. 

I used my Passport and Yellow Tabien Baan & Pink ID (as I didn’t have a work permit). 

Account was tied to 13 digit Pink ID number. 

Whenever I’ve been in the Bank Since - I only need my pink ID. 

-----------------

I’ve had the same issue when going into SCB (another account I hold) which I opened with PP and work permit two decades ago... I’ve had numerous passports since then (and the PP number has changed with each one)... 

If I haven't been to the Bank for a while my passport is different, but its something they resolved fairly quickly.

-----------------

With all the different responses, I’m quite sure different banks and even different staffers in the same bank interpret their regulations differently.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've opened 3 bank accounts none required a residence certificate, another false benefit of a yellow book

in Bangkok? please tell me where because the three branches I've been to want PP and 'residence certificate from embassy' which Aussie mob don't do. 

and no, I'm not going to hike around the whole of the city looking for El Dorado, got better things to do with my time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 3:22 PM, JaiMaai said:

You can't.

What you can do is apply for a "Yellow" book, Going by the numerous previous threads on the topic, the requirements vary from office to office. 

It's probably best to go and ask.

I have had my name added to the tabian  ban. So if anything happens to my wife her family can't kick me out. It is done at the land registry office

On 9/23/2022 at 5:00 PM, Kenny202 said:

I went to local Amphur in Chaiyaphum to do a yellow book. Idiot there insisted on bringing 3 witnesses, including a teacher or doctor and the poh yai baan and gunman. Said would be a lengthy process and all would be required for a full day. Stupid tw@t making out like he was granting me permanent residency or something. All in the hope I would go away and leave him alone. They were the worst office I ever dealt with. Walk in and they were all playing with their phones or reading newspapers. Sneer at you like you had dog shet on your shoes...Thai and farang alike. Saw them send an elderly Thai man back home one day after travelling an hour to get there to change his shorts to long pants as he wasnt showing them the proper respect. Disgusting human beings. I didnt bother in the end. Been told over and over only advantage of a yellow book no residency cert needed for DMV

I had the run around for years in a chiayohum District Then we called Buriam and they explained all you need is a visa and passport and had my yellow book that day and the house book of were you live 

On 9/24/2022 at 11:47 AM, richard_smith237 said:

... ‘accept the realities’... I agree, but that doesn’t mean accepting everything an official tells us because I’ve noticed in Thailand that ‘officials’ are quite often incorrect and can be questioned, we just have to do so in manner which works (i.e. not complaining or getting emotional, but being professional, respectful and firm).

This whole idea some foreigners have that because someone has a uniform they are right is ridiculous... officials are human, they are just like us. 

Some foreigners wouldn’t say ‘boo’ to a policeman, yet the Police we may more regularly interact with are quite low down on the 'socio-economic' scale...  they have no idea of our status though, connections etc... when acting confidently, politely and firmly their attitude often quickly changes.

This is the same in many government offices, behave professionally, confidently, politely and firmly and we are treated extremely well - this means we can question things when we go about it the right way. 

"... they have no idea of our status though, connections etc... when acting confidently, politely and firmly their attitude often quickly changes."

I got stopped by a cop halfway throught the lights at the entrance to the tollway to Chonburi. Cop claimed I had gone through a red light which I hadn't. Cop asked for my passport, my Thai son gave him my PR book. He didn't know what it was. A second cop looked and said 'maybe from an embassy'. Both saluted and waved me on. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

I have had my name added to the tabian  ban. So if anything happens to my wife her family can't kick me out. It is done at the land registry office

Thai people kick their relative out of the bluebook into the 'central registry' all the time, cause that's where they serve the papers for courts and repossession of debt. 

What you had done at the land office is usufruct 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 12:05 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thats not my experience.  I hold an account with BKK Bank. 

I used my Passport and Yellow Tabien Baan & Pink ID (as I didn’t have a work permit). 

Account was tied to 13 digit Pink ID number. 

Whenever I’ve been in the Bank Since - I only need my pink ID. 

-----------------

I’ve had the same issue when going into SCB (another account I hold) which I opened with PP and work permit two decades ago... I’ve had numerous passports since then (and the PP number has changed with each one)... 

If I haven't been to the Bank for a while my passport is different, but its something they resolved fairly quickly.

-----------------

With all the different responses, I’m quite sure different banks and even different staffers in the same bank interpret their regulations differently.

Are you on some kinda commission for promoting these useless Pink Cards? You and Ryan have continually said that you can open a bank account with a pink ID card, forgetting to say that you also need a passport, then go on to say that the pink ID card saves you from carrying your passport. By law you need your passport to open a bank account AND for transactions, unless they are simply withdrawing and depositing cash, for which NOTHING is required. So to say you only use your Pink card for bank transactions is hiding the truth. PLease stop with all this false information. The card is good for little, accept it. 

Please stop the personal negative references to my nationality, it continually looks like some kinda inferiority thing going on with you. 

Yes, I am Thai, but also was a foreigner in Thailand for close to 30 years so know about some things. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2022 at 10:57 AM, flexomike said:

You must be more Thai then the Thais, get off your pedestal, my history here started in 1968, 45 years of marriage to Thais, I think I have a pretty good idea of how the social system works around here, have a lot of friends that have the pink card and not one of them has ever said anything about a Thai laughing at them when they show it, are you talking from personal experience you must have some pretty sad friends

What is this, a competition?

What have my friends got to do with anything, please don't insult them. 

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

"... they have no idea of our status though, connections etc... when acting confidently, politely and firmly their attitude often quickly changes."

I got stopped by a cop halfway throught the lights at the entrance to the tollway to Chonburi. Cop claimed I had gone through a red light which I hadn't. Cop asked for my passport, my Thai son gave him my PR book. He didn't know what it was. A second cop looked and said 'maybe from an embassy'. Both saluted and waved me on. 

Brilliant...  

When they know you know how things work... they nearly always shrink...

Best thing to do at a Police check-point: Interior lights on, open windows.... 99% guarantee of being waved straight through....

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 10:47 AM, flexomike said:

every time I go in for my extension they want proof of address and I hand them the yellow book with copies and they are fine, I am on a retirement extension not a marriage extension

If we are to believe you, you have lived here since 1968 and think immigration need to see a yellow housebook when you do an extension -  nonsense. I had a yellow book for over 20 years and wasn't once asked for it, or proof of address. Not sure your motive here but I call BS. 

Oh, I see your history started in 1968, did you come for a holiday then? How long have you lived here?

On 9/25/2022 at 7:26 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Currency exchange from USD to THB has always required it, but regular banking did not.  I opened my account with Thb in hand, no foreign currency.

One question, did you need to show your passport when opening bank account?

• Thanks 1