Any advantage for a foreigner to register his name in the Thai Registration Book (Blue Tabien Baan)?

19 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Its probably best not to bother.  There is no real lasting advantage  in getting one.  It doesnt eliminate 90 day reports, or the TM30, it doesnt often help with any of the authorities.  It may save a bit of hassle if you buy a lot of cars or bikes, otherwise, its largely a waste of time.,  

Oh? Weird that my experience is totally different. It’s definitely made things easier for me, and many others.

• Thanks 1

You don't know you need it or how beneficial it is before you got it. Simple as that

And we know how the different laws, rules, regulations and requirements difference throughout Thailands different official offices.

For me it is beneficial and make my life easier in Thailand.

I also got  approved translated versions of my house book, which will help my process in getting family reunion with my now wife in EU, as well we used it to get a valid one year Schengen tourist visa before we got married meaning multiple entries in one year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

no, its a lot of messing around to save 30 min every 5 years

Another one who believes it is non useful, fair enough for you it is not beneficial, but for others it has proven it's worth many times over.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Mostly it's hassle and little benefit getting a yellow book, although they'll be on soon listing how great it is

Well, my wife go me one before I got my driver license,  and I find it useful, for opening bank accounts, credit card account, etc.. Immigration is happy to have copies of it when I do the yearly extensions. 

Nothing "great", but quite useful. It  probably depends on where you are. My  guess  is that in places like Bangkok, Pattaya, etc. the Farang gets processed somewhat differently. I am out in the sticks, beyond the black stump.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I don't have a yellow book or pink ID card.

Treatment I have received at the local Tambon clinic has always been free.

Don't tell the Pinkcarders that ???? I hear endlessly here about how their 'Thai ID' card gets them in certain places on certain flights etc. 

Fact is, a Driver's licence is good for those things. 

Some, if not many, seem to think that by getting a Thai driver's licence, or Pink ID card that they have somehow integrated into Thai society, which couldn't be further from the truth; it's more like a gold star on the arm, to separate non-Thais from Thais.  Better just use your passport and learn to speak Thai as often my pink ID card was refused. Yellow book is useful for a few things. 

Don't believe those that say that they can open a bank account or do other things as you can't, unless the teller makes a mistake. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Well, my wife go me one before I got my driver license,  and I find it useful, for opening bank accounts, credit card account, etc.. Immigration is happy to have copies of it when I do the yearly extensions. 

Immigration couldn't care about a Yellow housebooks, that some foreigners call 'tabien baan'. Happy, no way. The preer that foreigners stick to being foreigners and make their extorting easier. 

What banks did you open a credit card account with a YB, Pink ID, I find that extremely hard to believe. 

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is a fact that if you pay certain bills at Big C or try to use the credits earned on your account for a reduction in the shopping bill that you need to show the Pink card you opened up the account with.  It was how i obtained the Big C card which i obtained in 2013 and which I posted about almost 2 years ago.  Many said i was talking BS, but it is what it is.  I also opened up my Home-pro account with the Pink card and my Power-Buy account

You had a pink non-Thai ID card in 2013?

They started giving non migrant working foreigners them in 2016.

Were you wearing a balaclava when applying?

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What do you call it then??

It is a ‘Tabien Baan’....  There are Blue ones for Thai’s and Yellow ones for non-Thai’s, hence the developed colloquialism amongst expats - Yellow Tabinen Baan.... 

I always call it a housebook if talking with foreigners. 

Never hear foreigners using the Thai word for 'Work Permit', or 'DL' ???? 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I always call it a housebook if talking with foreigners. 

So it upsets / irritates you that foreigners throw in a Thai word with their English sentence ???

Does it upset you when Thai’s are talking Thai but then thrown in an English word, or is it only foreigners who you think may consider themselves integrating into Thai society who you have some sort of aversion towards ?

‘Yellow Tabien Baan’ has become used as thats what it is...   its like when talking about compulsory car insurance people use Por-Ror-Bor, or marriage documents Kor-Ror 2 and Kor-Ror 3 etc...  it removes ambiguity of what the specific document is.

27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You had a pink non-Thai ID card in 2013?

They started giving non migrant working foreigners them in 2016.

Were you wearing a balaclava when applying?

Your wrong again. We went through this on another OP. I sent you a copy of the front and back. Again your memory is waning.

By the Ministerial Regulation of Section 5 of the Civil Registration Act, BE 2534 (1991), as amended by the Civil Registration Act (No.2), BE 2551 (2008), the following definitions shall apply to persons who are Non-Thai nationality;

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Immigration couldn't care about a Yellow housebooks, that some foreigners call 'tabien baan'. Happy, no way. The preer that foreigners stick to being foreigners and make their extorting easier. 

What banks did you open a credit card account with a YB, Pink ID, I find that extremely hard to believe. 

Yeah, I a compulsive liar...

Was great talking to u.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

than the Thai DL (one example - entering Koh Samet - but who cares about 200 baht vs 40 baht - its not a big deal beyond principle). 

If you had principles,  you wouldn't try to fool those on the gate, and pay the foreigner price.