Any advantage for a foreigner to register his name in the Thai Registration Book (Blue Tabien Baan)?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

What do you call it then??

It is a ‘Tabien Baan’....  There are Blue ones for Thai’s and Yellow ones for non-Thai’s, hence the developed colloquialism amongst expats - Yellow Tabinen Baan.... 

it is written in Thai on the cover too, both the blue and yellow one

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You could have used your passport. 

Strangely, I couldn't use my UK passport as I didn't have a visa in it. 

Foreigners are complaining about not being able to get a vaccine at the same time as Thais whereas in Khon Kaen city, they got before me. 

Could have but I didn't as my address is listed on the pink ID card and in the yellow book. They typed it into the computer instead of me filling out the forms and then had me sign...easy peasy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What do you call it then??

It is a ‘Tabien Baan’....  There are Blue ones for Thai’s and Yellow ones for non-Thai’s, hence the developed colloquialism amongst expats - Yellow Tabinen Baan.... 

Never heard a foreigner say , 'tabien baan see luang' and yellow is easier to know than housebook????

35 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

How many times must you be proven wrong.....you love to rub your new Thai citizenship in folks faces now and then. You sound like a few folks who told me I also could not hire a Myanmar housekeeper and have my name listed as her employer....they were wrong on that one as well.

Where have I rubbed anything in your face? What has my nationality got to do with anything I've said to you? 

43 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never have shown my passport for routine daily transactions at the bank in the last 4 years

BS. What are those 'daily transactions' you do that the bank seems to ignore? Banks are strict in Thailand with regards to procedure due to 'money laundering'. I cannot see your bank allowing you to skirt their security rules in not showing your passport. It leaves them vulnerable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

instead of what?

Well, they take copies of my wife's blue book and of  my yellow book, both showing the same address. This is the Buriram office.

Now I have no idea what they do for those people who haven't got a yellow book. I thought everyone had one as it is a mere formality at Amphur.

Edited by Boomer6969

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Foreigners are complaining about not being able to get a vaccine at the same time as Thais whereas in Khon Kaen city, they got before me. 

Actually as regards foreigners joining the Government Covid vaccination programme, a passport was necessary but not sufficient by itself because it doesn't have the 13 digit number. The pink card does have it and thus was consistent with the computer software requirement. 

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Actually as regards foreigners joining the Government Covid vaccination programme, a passport was necessary but not sufficient by itself because it doesn't have the 13 digit number. The pink card does have it and thus was consistent with the computer software requirement. 

... which - always provided the administrative side knew how/wanted to handle it - wasn't a problem either as said 13digit no. then came on the first printout of the vac certificate, been successfully used repeatedly since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Seems you agree with the racist policies of dual pricing now that you have a Thai ID…. Interesting to see you go native ! :whistling:

Dual pricing is practiced in most countries, and it most certainly isn't racist, as me getting the discounted price proves. 

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean you shouldn't follow the law, principles are everything. 

Pathetic trolling now....  ‘principles are everything’ !!!   :cheesy:

And no...  dual pricing is not practised in ‘most countries’ the same way it is in Thailand - this debate has been held scores of times....  

You’ll not find a similar comparison in many ‘developed nations’ where foreigners residents are charged more than locals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Initially, it wasn’t just the 13 digit number that was required - When registering online with Mor Prom App there was also an additional number on the back of the Pink ID card that was required.

.... it all worked fine, I had my first vaccination at the beginning of June 2021 when so many people were fretting and complaining that foreigners couldn’t register to get vaccinated etc...  

Of course, there were some posters (no names mentioned) that continued to argue that ‘we shouldn’t have been vaccinated and that we’d ’slipped’ through the system’....  the vaccinations at the time were only for Thai’s, it was a mistake !!!...    

From one specific poster, this  ‘chip on the shoulder' against those with Pink ID has manifested itself in an almost fanatical manner - very strange behaviour. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

No you couldn’t... not back in May 2021 when registering for vaccination in June 2021...   Registration could only be made with the 13 digit ID on the Thai ID cars and Pink ID cards (and a 9 digit number on the back). 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 5:00 PM, Kenny202 said:

I went to local Amphur in Chaiyaphum to do a yellow book. Idiot there insisted on bringing 3 witnesses, including a teacher or doctor and the poh yai baan and gunman. Said would be a lengthy process and all would be required for a full day. Stupid tw@t making out like he was granting me permanent residency or something. All in the hope I would go away and leave him alone. They were the worst office I ever dealt with. Walk in and they were all playing with their phones or reading newspapers. Sneer at you like you had dog shet on your shoes...Thai and farang alike. Saw them send an elderly Thai man back home one day after travelling an hour to get there to change his shorts to long pants as he wasnt showing them the proper respect. Disgusting human beings. I didnt bother in the end. Been told over and over only advantage of a yellow book no residency cert needed for DMV

Thanks for sharing this mate even though you got attacked by some for reasons unknown.

I was told the same about requiring witnesses and we were about to put it together, pulling in favors and obviously their time on the company money plus of course (no bother about that). I wont bother now it would be to embarrassing wasting everyone's time.

4 minutes ago, mnomad said:

Thanks for sharing this mate even though you got attacked by some for reasons unknown.

I was told the same about requiring witnesses and we were about to put it together, pulling in favors and obviously their time on the company money plus of course (no bother about that). I wont bother now it would be to embarrassing wasting everyone's time.

I had to get the MFA verified translation of the Embassy verified copy of my Passport which was the largest hoop to jump through... other than that the process was simple enough. 

For Witnesses we went with my mother-in-law....   (so its that witnesses are relatives if thats an option)

We only had 1 witness, we were not asked for more than that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were told two witnesses and they both had to know where we lived, this was ambiguous, so i dont know exactly if the MIL would qualify, i think ill just leave it for now, done the MFA earlier in the year for marriage - not a huge hurdle once get an appointment but I probably just leave it now, thanks for sharing tho

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, you never miss an opportunity to remind us that you have secured Thai Nationality. 

and then you make sweeping generalisations as if you are ‘representing’ all Thai’s because you now have Thai ID... its quite comical... 

Like where? Please post a link. 

Some here seem to hold this against me, sour grapes perhaps. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I do my Banking in BKK at a major K-Bank branch and If I were to be exchanging cash, then of course I would expect them to want to see my passport.

Why would you expect that, when you say you opened the account with your Pink Non-Thai ID card?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, steve187 said:

no, its a lot of messing around to save 30 min every 5 years

Took about an hour to get my first one years ago and less when I moved to Bangkok. In the last 5 years I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve used it to ease a process, but yes, less since I got my pink card which I use regularly 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

When do immigration ask for proof of address? 

When I applied for a marriage visa, they still came round to see where I lived.

Yellow house registry is not for immigration 

They come around to our house ,talk to our neighbour,cant remember the last time they came inside

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Why would you expect that, when you say you opened the account with your Pink Non-Thai ID card?

Currency exchange from USD to THB has always required it, but regular banking did not.  I opened my account with Thb in hand, no foreign currency.  I have lived in the country long enough to understand how things work, yet someone who is a Thai citizen either by birth or as in your case does not seem to understand the nuances which can occur, and you always like to point that out.  You always want to argue, even when someone is giving a detailed explanation.  As much as I like discussing things with you, it is now time to avoid anymore of your Tosh.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've opened 3 bank accounts none required a residence certificate, another false benefit of a yellow book

Its a passport OR a yellowbook/pinkID. Open an account with a passport and the account name is in English, open with a yellowbook and the account name is in Thai (as per the name in YB). The document you use then becomes the ongoing ID to operate that account.

If the bank wants proof of address then it would be a res cert if using a passport, or a yellow book if using a YB/pinkID.

A yellow book wouldnt be ok for a passport account, its in a different language, and same for the reverse.

You either operate in the passport/res cert universe, or the yellow/pink ID universe, the problems and misunderstandings occur when people try to combine the two.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/23/2022 at 10:57 PM, richard_smith237 said:

He asked if he could be added into the Blue Tabien Baan house book - he can’t because he is not Thai.

He was provided with the alternative option that many foreigners go with when they want to be registered at their address...  The yellow Tabien Baan house book. 

Holding a Yellow Tabien Baan house book has its advantages, there are no disadvantages other than the process it takes to get acquire it. For some this process is too much effort, for others they don’t mind going through the process. 

Obtaining the Pink ID is a 15 min process after receive the Yellow Tabien Baan house book.

Some people get more use out of both than others. 

Others claim they are useless. 

Mileage clearly varies... I have personally found having both to be more useful for the simple reason of an added layer of convenience for things.

Not entirely true.  A non-Thai can be put into the blue book, provided that he or she has his or her residence certificate or has obtained citizenship--in both cases of which they must be put into the blue book.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:18 PM, Neeranam said:

Not exactly true, many people laugh at farang having the card that they have only seen Burmese/Lao building labourers have. 

Also, if you are law abiding, you need written permission every time you leave the province you are registered in.  

I don't even know any Burmese/Lao people with the pink card.  I know only Westerners with it.  No one has ever laughed or looked down on it.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:32 PM, Neeranam said:

The yellow book is better than the ID card, perhaps. 

When getting citizenship, you need the yellow book. They are not interested in a pink card. It is associated with migrant workers. 

The yellow book and the ID are essentially the same thing, just like one's passport and passport card are virtually the same.  I was told that the pink ID card could only be obtained after first acquiring the yellow tabien bahn book--so if those "migrant workers" have the pink ID, they must have yellow TBs as well.

On 9/24/2022 at 1:56 AM, talahtnut said:

You can, I'm in the blue book.

The missus did it when I gave her the house, without telling me.

I have no idea how she did, she handles all paperwork nonsense.

I expect some of the backwards amphurs that don't know the system well enough may do this by mistake, but if you have your permanent residency, you are supposed to be in the blue book.

On 9/24/2022 at 2:44 AM, Hummin said:

I'm also in my wife's blue book, and we are not supposed to I read, but I am, so you can!

See comment just above.

On 9/24/2022 at 2:49 AM, puchooay said:

Either done long ago or in error at an office that didn't know the rules.

Not so long ago my local office denied any knowledge of the yellow book. 

I would very much doubt anyone would get into the blue book now. 

Possibly, . . . or you have obtained your residence certificate--as I said just above.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:06 AM, tweedledee2 said:

I have a Yellow book and it was easy to get. I sat in a chair 20 minutes, while my wife completed the transaction. All that was required of me was my passport and the 20 baht fee. 

When I applied for my 5 year DL last September, they required my passport, expired 2 yr license, yellow book and either a resident certificate or a pink ID card. 

I went to the Amphur's office (Mueang Surin) with my wife. I handed them my yellow book and passport. My wife signed a document, they took my photograph, printed my card and we were out the door, in less than 15 minutes at no cost. 

You were very fortunate.  I did ten 90-minute round-trips in about two weeks' time to obtain my yellow tabien bahn book and pink ID card.  And sat in the amphur most the day on those days.  HUGE rigamarole.  And when I was done, they told us we had gotten it an an accelerated rate--just two weeks!  They said it usually took at least a month.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:21 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

I cannot get my name put in a Blue Book hence why one of the reasons why I obtained a Yellow Book. Even with Yellow Book I'm not allowed my name to be entered into a Blue Book.

Not if you don't have your residence certificate, which is the closest thing to citizenship without being a citizen that you can get.  If you have that, then yes, you go on the blue book.

The RC has strict application requirements, and per-country annual quotas (100 people/country/year)--same as for citizenship.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:58 AM, scorecard said:

"...as a resident in our House Blue Book (Tabien Baan) which has my wife as the sole registered owner".

Just a small correction. The Tabien Baan (TB) book (all colours) is not a record of ownership. In fact it doesn't mention ownership of the land/house etc.

The Tabien Baan book is the official register of who is recorded as a resident of that house. Although often well out of date. It's common for a Thai person who comes from an upcountry family to ask the house master if he/she will allow them to put their name in the Tabien Baan book for the house/condo etc., where they are living in Bkk (or another place). They could be related  but it's not a requirement that they be related.

Some Thais take this subject seriously, some don't. However when a Thai person applies for something at:  an amphur office, a bank account, a contract to buy a fridge, a car etc., etc., they must, by Thai law, prove two things; 1). Their ID, using their Thai ID card or Thai passport (if they have one), and 2). Prove their address (Tabien Baan book). 

The house master (person responsible to keep this book up to date) is often not the owner of the property however in most cases the owner will have sanctioned someone (doesn't need to be a relative) to take care of the Tabien Baan book.

Foreigners can't decide 'I'll put my name in a blue TB or whatever colour book'. 

Being put in a Tabien Baan book depends on the type of visa the foreigner holds and very few foreigners have the required visa etc., to qualify to be entered into a blue book. One exception is foreigners who hold Thai PR (Thai Permanent Residence - also known as a Thai Certificate of Residence*).

*Note: Foreigners sometimes need to get a 'Certificate of Residence' from Thai Immigration to be able to get a Thai drivers license and some other things. This 'Certificate of Residence' document (for a drivers license etc.), is NOT necessarily connected to a TB book. The fpreigner goes to an Immigration office and asks for a 'Certificate of Residence' to get a drivers license etc., and shows perhaps a rental contract with an address and immigration use that to write the very simple 'certificate of Residence'' document.

Agree with most of this.  But to "qualify", as you say, "to be entered into a blue book" requires much more than you imply.  It involves a lengthy process of application, with heaps of supporting documents and several years' residence requirement during which taxes are properly paid, etc. and/or large donations documented for Thai charitable projects/organizations, etc.  And the application window is only open at certain times of year.  It takes months to get this.

I've been compiling all the Thai (and English, where available) application requirements and instructions toward that end--and have been looking at the whole gauntlet.  It's a mess, but may be worth the trouble to be forever free of the 90-day reporting, annual visa extensions, etc. that are, themselves, a tremendous hassle as well.

41 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Further up, search for it. Life goes on nicely without a yellow book

Of course for some who find the yellow book and pink card to onerous I am sure it does. Has not taken away anything from me to obtain them and as I said I have used them for many things.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1