Any advantage for a foreigner to register his name in the Thai Registration Book (Blue Tabien Baan)?

47 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:
1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

Immigration when doing annual extension, proof of residence.

Ditto Bank when opening an account.

both covered by a Thai driving license 

Not really....    If people travel too regularly and do not do 90 days reports, they can’t get a letter of address from immigration*, they are forced to get an Affirmation of Residence from their Embassy (Brit Embassy is about 2000 baht per-pop and DLT want one each for Car and Motorcycle licence !).

[*Note: according to comments I think Immigration in Chiang Mai is one of the few Immigration offices which do issue CoR’s without a 90 day report - certainly not in BKK]

Also - In ‘most’ cases a Bank account cannot be opened with a Driving Licence - many people have encountered this issue. 

[*Note: there are reports of people who have successfully opened an account with a thai Driving licence, but not many banks accept this at all - doing so requires a lot of leg work a lot of refusals and going from bank to bank and finding one who will accept the DL].

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:
19 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Been told over and over only advantage of a yellow book no residency cert needed for DMV

Pretty much. Why go through the hassle of getting it when you can just go to immigration every 5 years, and actually, you could do it the same time as your extension or 90 day reporting. 

If you are working, you can show your Work Permit, if you are not working, you have all the time in the world. 

And if you don’t work in Thailand and travel frequently so you have not done any 90 day reports ? (Chaeng Wattana will not issue a CoR without a 90 day report receipt). 

I’ve been in Thailand for 25 years - in that time I’ve only ever needed to do 2x 90 day reports.

The Yellow Book saves me about 4000 baht each time I’ve renewed my Driving and Motorcycle licence (avoid expensive embassy charges for Affirmation of Residence letter).

Edited by richard_smith237

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In ‘most’ cases a Bank account cannot be opened with a Driving Licence - many people have encountered this issue. 

Probably right, but I opened my two SCB accounts with just my passport and my Thai driving Licence, in SCB, BIG C Pattaya South if anyone is interested.    

2 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:
13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In ‘most’ cases a Bank account cannot be opened with a Driving Licence - many people have encountered this issue. 

Probably right, but I opened my two SCB accounts with just my passport and my Thai driving Licence, in SCB, BIG C Pattaya South if anyone is interested.    

I think thats good info...  There should be a ‘Pinned Topic’ highlighting where people have successfully opened a Bank Account without a work permit (or Yellow house book).... 

- Listing Area / Bank / Brach / Year....    as the question about opening accounts gets asked a lot. 

Personally - I always hit a Brick wall trying to open an account without a WP until I got my Yellow Book.

I opened my first account in Bangkok two decades ago with a Work Permit and have had the same account since.

About 10 years ago tried to open a second account at the same Bank and they wouldn’t without a Work Permit - ridiculous as I was already holding an account !!!

I was only able to open a second account once I had the Yellow Book (that was multiple branches of SCB in Bangkok). 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Mostly it's hassle and little benefit getting a yellow book, although they'll be on soon listing how great it is

If you say so.

I vaguely remember getting the YB via an agent, probably paid a small sum, I don't remember any special hassles.

But I do know it's a big help in many occasions, among others everytime a residence certificate is required, I could "list" them but I am not selling YB's, to each  their own choice.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Cant remember the last time i showed my passport,at the govt hospital

You don't. You should have a medical card somewhat the same as the Thais. You just hand this into records on your arrival to get confirmation you are on their books.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

If you say so.

I vaguely remember getting the YB via an agent, probably paid a small sum, I don't remember any special hassles.

But I do know it's a big help in many occasions, among others everytime a residence certificate is required, I could "list" them but I am not selling YB's, to each  their own choice.

of course with an agent it's easy, the list of requirements are much easier than if you do it yourself, but then you pay for it, part of the corruption

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

of course with an agent it's easy, the list of requirements are much easier than if you do it yourself, but then you pay for it, part of the corruption

Mine YB was 20 baht, plus a drink for the local head man......????

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Depends on the office, presumably you didn't go to Pattaya City Hall? anyway it's not important, i might need a residence cert again in 5 years

Many need one on a regular basis, one cap does not fit all, keep reading.......????

21 hours ago, puchooay said:

Interesting. Could you divulge the reasons? I've never been asked to produce a yellow book or Pink ID. That's why I don't have one. Don't see the advantage.

I was asked for my pink card in Big C last month. Trying to pay the leccy bill.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

most posts on here seem to bang on about it avoids the residence certs, big deal. Maybe give the full list of benefits? 555

I am not going to give you anything, because you are not interested, all you are interested in is telling folk the YB is useless because it seems to be for you.

May I suggest you leave it to those who have found good use for it, so others can make up their own mind...

There's a good chap.....???? 

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I am not going to give you anything, because you are not interested, all you are interested in is telling folk the YB is useless because it seems to be for you.

May I suggest you leave it to those who have found good use for it, so others can make up their own mind...

There's a good chap.....???? 

As usual you give nothing useful, totally useless posts, you are much more suited to emoticons 555 ????

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I got mine when you could use it to register at Government

Hospital and get free treatment , a good thing Thaksin did ,

but was cancelled when the other side took control ,so at

the time was worth getting one,  but not a lot of use since.

Exactly. 

20 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I went to local Amphur in Chaiyaphum to do a yellow book. Idiot there insisted on bringing 3 witnesses, including a teacher or doctor and the poh yai baan and gunman. Said would be a lengthy process and all would be required for a full day. Stupid tw@t making out like he was granting me permanent residency or something. All in the hope I would go away and leave him alone. They were the worst office I ever dealt with. Walk in and they were all playing with their phones or reading newspapers. Sneer at you like you had dog shet on your shoes...Thai and farang alike. Saw them send an elderly Thai man back home one day after travelling an hour to get there to change his shorts to long pants as he wasnt showing them the proper respect. Disgusting human beings. I didnt bother in the end. Been told over and over only advantage of a yellow book no residency cert needed for DMV

Yeah same old story how the goverment slaves paid by taxes (and tips)

seem to look down on their employers......  Thai people just but up with this

rude behavour  

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

As usual you give nothing useful, totally useless posts, you are much more suited to emoticons 555 ????

But my Yellow book has been useful to me, and others, so how do you come to your conclusions if you've never had one.....:crazy:

Emijons, hmmm, please go stand in the corner.....????

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Many many people stay in Thailand long term without acquiring a Pink ID card or a Yellow book. If there was any real benefit they'd be fighting to get them. But they're not. If I had my time over again I wouldn't bother with either.

I would...........????

• Like 2