Any advantage for a foreigner to register his name in the Thai Registration Book (Blue Tabien Baan)?

On 9/25/2022 at 6:23 AM, bert bloggs said:

They come around to our house ,talk to our neighbour,cant remember the last time they came inside

yes, same here. Immigration know where  you live yet some go on about the yellow house registry being beneficial for immigration, which is pure nonsense! 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Hey sunbeam, the Yellow book has been very helpful to me and others over the years, so please back off with your cr@p.....????

'sunbeam' ?

I never mentioned the yellow book. The yellow book is very useful.

Stop your flames and learn to read.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Since opening my accounts (with Passport & Yellow Tabien Baan) I have never needed anything other than my Pink ID when carrying out any transaction related to my account in the Bank. 

What about foreign exchange or sending money abroad? For example. 

How about getting a bank loan?

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Since opening my accounts (with Passport & Yellow Tabien Baan) I have never needed anything other than my Pink ID when carrying out any transaction related to my account in the Bank. 

What about foreign exchange or sending money abroad? For example. 

How about getting a bank loan?

Online Banking...   But in the Bank Imagine that a Passport is asked for, I’ve never tried it. 

Loan...  never tried that again.

Any time I have been in a bank... Print off a Statement for Immigration, Get a letter Bank Letter for Immigration... those sort of things - Pink ID has been fine. 

Before I had my Pink ID I lost count of the amount of times I was out, needed to do something in a Bank and couldn’t because I didn’t have my passport with me. 

It must also be noted that most (nearly all) of the time we need the Bank Book too, which is a proper PITA.. but I’m less worried about losing that so don’t mind carrying it out with me if I may or may not pop out to the Bank. 

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

So you hate something that takes 10-15 mins and 40 Baht (I think) to get....

Its not essential, but if offers a layer of convenience to some people. 

Many of those have voiced such experience on this thread, you are calling us all liars. 

There are also those who have not found the Pink ID convenient at all and say its not worth the effort to get it - but its the Yellow Tabien Baan which takes the effort.

I hate nothing. Maybe you are a yank but where I am, polarisation is BS. 

I give my opinion on the Pink Card and some don't like it. 

Some say it is good once every 5 years when renewing a DL. In Khon Kaen they don't accept it, among others. 

Some say they get free health treatment because of it -  false. 

Some say they can open a bank account with it -  false. 

Some say they can use ot for thing where a DL is enough. 

Just trying to give a balance perspective, but not sure why I bother. 

It is handy for a couple of things but highly overrated. 

There's a lot of ignorance around by foreigners and Thais about this card. 

It was started for migrant workers, take a look on the back and tells me what it says! 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Online Banking...   But in the Bank Imagine that a Passport is asked for, I’ve never tried it. 

Loan...  never tried that again.

Any time I have been in a bank... Print off a Statement for Immigration, Get a letter Bank Letter for Immigration... those sort of things - Pink ID has been fine. 

Before I had my Pink ID I lost count of the amount of times I was out, needed to do something in a Bank and couldn’t because I didn’t have my passport with me. 

It must also be noted that most (nearly all) of the time we need the Bank Book too, which is a proper PITA.. but I’m less worried about losing that so don’t mind carrying it out with me if I may or may not pop out to the Bank. 

Well come on dude, get the facts right. 

You said basically that ALL bank transactions can be done with the pink card, this is misleading to other, I'm sure but not to me, as I know most transactions require a passport. 

Are you saying the only thing(non transaction) that you've been able to use the pink ID card for is to print a letter for immigration? Bit of a difference to your previous statement that all your transactions can be done with a pink card, which is, of course, not true. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Are you on some kinda commission for promoting these useless Pink Cards? You and Ryan have continually said that you can open a bank account with a pink ID card, forgetting to say that you also need a passport, then go on to say that the pink ID card saves you from carrying your passport. By law you need your passport to open a bank account AND for transactions, unless they are simply withdrawing and depositing cash, for which NOTHING is required. So to say you only use your Pink card for bank transactions is hiding the truth. PLease stop with all this false information. The card is good for little, accept it. 

Please stop the personal negative references to my nationality, it continually looks like some kinda inferiority thing going on with you. 

Yes, I am Thai, but also was a foreigner in Thailand for close to 30 years so know about some things. 

Never used my passport Sir. Your again misquoting, like usual.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

If we are to believe you, you have lived here since 1968 and think immigration need to see a yellow housebook when you do an extension -  nonsense. I had a yellow book for over 20 years and wasn't once asked for it, or proof of address. Not sure your motive here but I call BS. 

Oh, I see your history started in 1968, did you come for a holiday then? How long have you lived here?

what difference does it make how long I have lived here, I didn't come here on a holiday. I was gifted a two year tour in Bangkok from 68-70, got married to a Thai in 1969, didn't move here until 2016, more than enough time in country to know how things work here, I was never asked for it at Immigration, I was allowed to use it instead of having to show a lease contract, have my own house here, of course it really isn't mine is it, I don't know what you call BS on, but when I go to do my extension in late December you are more than welcome to come with me.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not sure what your alluding to. 

Nothing, simple question. 

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

After I obtained the Yellow book and then the Pink card we changed banks and at that Time I used only the yellow book and Pink card. 

A joint account?

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Nothing, simple question. 

A joint account?

My initial account opened up in Rawaii with SCB was the one she was added to.......That account was then closed prior to my dealings with K-Bank and then SCB again after my divorce.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, flexomike said:

what difference does it make how long I have lived here, I didn't come here on a holiday. I was gifted a two year tour in Bangkok from 68-70, got married to a Thai in 1969, didn't move here until 2016,

Well just checking, as there is a lot of information on this thread that kinda hides the facts. For example, one guy saying he opened a bank account with the yellow book and ID card but not mentioning he also needed a passport.  Similarly, saying your Thai history started 54 years ago when related to your experience here is being negligent with the truth, when in fact you have lived here for 6 years, as a civilian. 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Well just checking, as there is a lot of information on this thread that kinda hides the facts. For example, one guy saying he opened a bank account with the yellow book and ID card but not mentioning he also needed a passport.  Similarly, saying your Thai history started 54 years ago when related to your experience here is being negligent with the truth, when in fact you have lived here for 6 years, as a civilian. .

What do I have to do to get you to understand, history is what history is, I worked in Bangkok from 68-70, that is where my history started, not in 2016 when I moved here full time, tons of trips in between I swear this is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. So basically what you are saying is if you have not lived here full time you have no history. That is what the woke people want to do, delete all history.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well come on dude, get the facts right. 

You said basically that ALL bank transactions can be done with the pink card, this is misleading to other, I'm sure but not to me, as I know most transactions require a passport. 

Fair enough... ALL bank transactions that I have needed to do so far can be done with the Pink ID.

I imagine I may need my passport for some other types of transaction in the future - I don’t know. 

Are you saying the only thing(non transaction) that you've been able to use the pink ID card for is to print a letter for immigration? Bit of a difference to your previous statement that all your transactions can be done with a pink card, which is, of course, not true. 

Any time I have been in the Bank I have not needed a Passport, the Pink ID has been sufficient as proof of ID....    plenty of different transactions; I can’t remember them all... they include but not limited to: cashiers checks, transfers, large withdrawals & deposits, statement documentation etc... 

I think everyone would get the point, except for you - the Pink ID has been convenient in situations where I would otherwise need to go home and get my passport and go back to the Bank. 

Now... you can counter that with ’there are also transactions that require a passport’ and you would be right... but that does not diminish the convenience of having the Pink ID in my wallet, a card which took an additional 40 baht and 10-15 mins to get at the same time as receiving the Yellow Tabien Baan - its such an easy to get ‘add on’ to the Yellow Tabien Baan the convenience by far outweighs the effort. 

However, Your implication is that after getting the Yellow Tabien Baan, don’t bother spending the 40 baht and 10-15mins at the same time to get the Pink ID because its useless, adds no extra convenience at all and actually is a negative...  

You have instead ’stated’ that Thai’s laugh at foreigners with Pink ID because its for Migrant labourers.

You have stated that the Pink ID that expats have places the holder in the same ‘legal’ status as a Migrant worker and we can’t leave the province (issuing area).

In the past you have stated that the Pink ID is useless for a Driving License because when issued it means the driving licence is invalid outside of the issuing area because you think the ID on which it was issued is not valid outside the issuing area. 

You have stated I’m breaking the law for getting the Thai rate at attractions or parks which would otherwise 'double charge’.

You have clutched at a lot of straws in an attempt to persuade people that the Pink ID card is a total and utter waste of plastic.

------

In every example where someone who holds the Pink ID as being more convenient you have cheery picked where or how it isn’t......    

We have both spent more time debating this topic than the time it takes to actually get the card.

It's convenient to get, its convenient to carry and in a number of cases proves convenient to use as a proof of ID alternative to having to provide a passport (and where a DL may not be accepted).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

@Neeraman....  Why can’t you accept that some forum members who carry a Pink ID have found themselves in situations where having the card has proved convenient ???

What is so difficult to accept about this such that your responses are tantamount to accusing such poster of being dishonest and telling outright lies ???

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe this sheds some light maybe not.

You can not use both your Thai id card and your passport for the same bank account.

If you opened the account using your passport you will always need your passport.

If you used the Thai id card you will always have to use your Thai id card.

This is because of the difference in language.

I asked my bank manager about this and this was her explanation.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

@Neeraman....  Why can’t you accept that some forum members who carry a Pink ID have found themselves in situations where having the card has proved convenient ???

What is so difficult to accept about this such that your responses are tantamount to accusing such poster of being dishonest and telling outright lies ???

I do accept that the pink card has some uses, my point is that it is overrated partly due to some not telling the entire truth about it. 

I used it at the Post Office once for collecting a parcel. My experience is that it is does save carrying a passport(sometimes) but really that is not such a big deal, passports are  not so heavy. 

I just try to share my experience and get blasted in a personal manner about such things as my nationality, which has absolutely no relevance here, by people who seem to resent it. 

2 minutes ago, jvs said:

Maybe this sheds some light maybe not.

You can not use both your Thai id card and your passport for the same bank account.

If you opened the account using your passport you will always need your passport.

If you used the Thai id card you will always have to use your Thai id card.

This is because of the difference in language.

I asked my bank manager about this and this was her explanation.

Yep.. mentioned time already (and ignored by those opposing Pink ID)...

Neeranam has stated that its illegal for a foreigner to open a Bank Account without a Passport.

I’ve never tried - I used my Passport and Yellow Tabien Baan (and pink ID, they took copies of it)  to open the account and use the Pink ID to make an in-bank transaction. 

Neeranam has also stated that its illegal for a foreigner to  make a transaction in a Thai Bank without a Passport.

Maybe all this is true - but experience highlighted on this forum is different - that said, its illegal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.. the only law which seems to matter is what they allow at that specific branch / time / region etc... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Neeranam has also stated that its illegal for a foreigner to  make a transaction in a Thai Bank without a Passport.

I have to agree on that.  I wouldn't say it's illegal but it's not allowed at the Bangkok Bank. Recently my bank book was out sync with my passport and they would not allow a transaction until the bank book corresponded with my passport.  Cost me half a day hissing around trying to sort it.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 8:59 PM, richard_smith237 said:

No you couldn’t... not back in May 2021 when registering for vaccination in June 2021...   Registration could only be made with the 13 digit ID on the Thai ID cars and Pink ID cards (and a 9 digit number on the back). 

As is often the case it varied according to where you were. Here in Hua Hin we were able to register for vaccination in mid '21 (not sure if it was May or June but I got my first vaccination in June) just using your passport.

They issued everyone with a dummy 13-digit ID number as part of the registration process. That number still appears on all my vaccination records.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have to agree on that.  I wouldn't say it's illegal but it's not allowed at the Bangkok Bank. Recently my bank book was out sync with my passport and they would not allow a transaction until the bank book corresponded with my passport.  Cost me half a day hissing around trying to sort it.

Bangkok Bank is one of my Banks... I used my Pink ID for all  my Bank business so far.... *(yes, before Nerranam cherry picks a detail - perhaps not ALL banking transactions, just the ones I have carried out so far).

As others are pointed out - it depends which ID your Account is tied to. 

My BKK Bank was opened with my Yellow Tabien Baan *(yes, before Nerranam cherry picks a details - Passport also used, but account was tied to my Thai issued ID number).

Thus: @ you IvorBiggun2: Is your Bangkok Bank Account tied to your Passport number or to your Yellow Tabien Baan / Pink ID number ????

As you wrote - your Account was out of Sync with your Passport number, so it appears your account is tied to a previous passport number - So of course you needed your Passport.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I do agree with you, your nationality has absolutely no relevance here, which may be why you were blasted for bringing it up some many times, on this thread and other similar threads.

Thing is, I never brought it up on this thread, I don't think.  

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Note: IF the only purpose of getting the Yellow Tabien Baan is to get the Pink ID I would say don’t bother. But, if someone is getting their Yellow Tabien Baan for other reasons, then I’d say definitely take the extra simple step (10-15mins and 40 baht) to get the Pink-ID... its a no-brainer. 

Agreed ????

• Thanks 1