Intelligent conversation.!!!

The Theory

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, what language are you having conversations in ?

English (your first language) or Thai (her second language). A conversation in anyone's 2nd/3rd language, will probably be a little basic. A bit hard to discuss anything with a limited vocabulary. If you dont speak much Thai and the conversations are in Thai, I imagine they may also be quiet limited.

OMG 

One more English teacher ????????????????????

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

You have to remember that international politics and world news are completely irrelevant to the vast majority of Thai folk.

They don't realize there is a whole other world outside of Thailand's borders.

they do not even know where america or austalia are !!!!! and possibly china.....!!!

I've met some Euro backpackers who had OK English and I think we could talk about most subjects.   The problem, ironically, was they were so brainwashed with YouTube America that they weren't clever enough to think in another way.   Better than nothing, until it wasn't.

IQ test is a start.  Has to be over 100, hopefully over 110.  If a "bad" test, over 120 or 130.   Some tests are really easy.

Intelligent to her might be irrigation in the fields and to you it might be WW2 North African tank battles...... who knows.  that's another thing.  Thais don't really tell you their passion as much as the falang.

Philosophy....well, that's cultural.  You really know Buddhism sayings, and this particular kind of Buddhism.  Starts with an Th or Tera or Thera...  hmmm....not my thing.

This is the thing..................don't get a "gf" until you can have a conversation that is interesting.  if not, what's the point of a relationship?  

8 hours ago, The Theory said:

I never had any intelligent conversation with my gf.

She has never had any intelligent conversation with you.

What she is in interested to talk about are limited subjects (in some cases really stupid things????), other than that conversations won't go too far. International politics or world news is a big zero????. ฿ , relatives, neighbors  are main interesting subjects.

Sounds like her topics are inherently more interesting and useful than whatever opinionated blather you have to offer about international politics and world news.

Reminds me of that old song by The Pretenders:

. . . the news of the world
Got in the house like a pigeon from hell, oh oh oh oh
Threw sand in our eyes and descended like flies
Put us back on the train
Oh, back on the chain gang

How about get into the character study of the relatives and neighbors? Probably a great novel to be written there, like The God of Small Things. Those relatives and friends may form the basis for a great literary masterpiece. Start off with something like

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

Get extremely fluent in Thai and you could enlighten her about aspects of Thai culture, including of course Thai cuisine, that she'd probably be interested to know.

I really feel lonely since I see a huge distance between us. Perhaps this is the main reason I'm leaving my house and her behind.

To her great relief, no doubt. You don't appear to have done much to narrow that distance.

Leave her the car or truck, too.

At least when I'm alone I don't have to listen to some stupid things about greedy relatives or family members.

If you're in love, whatever your partner says is interesting. Nor should the relationship depend on exchanging hot air about topics having no relevance to your personal lives, especially when, come down to it, you'd demand she agree with you, merely echo your opinions. How silly.

And it's doubtful you could cope with a woman more educated and intelligent than yourself who'd disagree with your "politics" and point out your mistakes. Why didn't you marry an Oxford grad when you had the chance? WOT?

Well, who knows, you may come to miss those little "stupid" things she said, realize that in those days when you were hearing them from her, you were in a good place. A few of our less superficial members can probably remember the charm of an old love's chatter. Enjoy the loneliness and talking to yourself.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Thais are not natural philosophers..

Nor any other country to the east of here.

Parts of China are East of there. The Japanese have certain views on the world. Probably Koreans as well.  The Americas are East of Thailand, and beyond that, Europe.  You do know the world is round, right? Like a banana.

6 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Parts of China are East of there. The Japanese have certain views on the world. Probably Koreans as well.  The Americas are East of Thailand, and beyond that, Europe.  You do know the world is round, right? Like a banana.

Nice try pal.

I stand by my statement.

With a few exceptions still back in the US, I prefer not to have intelligent conversations with Westerners as well.

At least with my Thai wife of almost one year, moving to a new province, new house, a big medical event for me, and Covid-related stuff provided enough conversation material for the present.

Edited by jerrymahoney

8 hours ago, BigStar said:

Sounds like her topics are inherently more interesting and useful than whatever opinionated blather you have to offer about international politics and world news.

Put us back on the train

How about get into the character study of the relatives and neighbors? Probably a great novel to be written there, like The God of Small Things. Those relatives and friends may form the basis for a great literary masterpiece. Start off with something like

Get extremely fluent in Thai and you could enlighten her about aspects of Thai culture, including of course Thai cuisine, that she'd probably be interested to know.

To her great relief, no doubt. You don't appear to have done much to narrow that distance.

If you're in love, whatever your partner says is interesting. Nor should the relationship depend on exchanging hot air about topics having no relevance to your personal lives, especially when, come down to it, you'd demand she agree with you, merely echo your opinions. How silly.

And it's doubtful you could cope with a woman more educated and intelligent than yourself who'd disagree with your "politics" and point out your mistakes. Why didn't you marry an Oxford grad when you had the chance? WOT?

Well, who knows, you may come to miss those little "stupid" things she said, realize that in those days when you were hearing them from her, you were in a good place. A few of our less superficial members can probably remember the charm of an old love's chatter. Enjoy the loneliness and talking to yourself.

As usual from you some good points amongst the harshness. I would just say there is a sense of relaxedness, or put a different way, a blankness, in Thai woman that can be both charming and, in the longer term, disheartening and a bit tedious.

It is a generalisation, and may be related to the fact that she is likely to be significantly younger and prettier than you, and therefore have a different approach and focus in life. 

It is not necessarily the desire to pontificate and debate world politics but just the ability to move the discussion to other than the trivialities of food, immediate family issues, how beautiful she is and a focus on photos, smiles and .... blankness. My partners haven't been vain or social media crazy but most women like to steer the conversation to their loveliness if they in fact are lovely. 

It can depend on which part of the cycle a relationship is in, and as you say it is likely a blessing not to have a partner to discuss each other's 2 cents on world events, but sometimes it would be nice to have a meaty discussion with someone who understands the world, your world, and have something interesting and thought provoking to say. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

17 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:
17 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

She also has amazing mental arithmetic skills. She can do quite complex calculations in her head in a few seconds....e.g. if you asked her 13% of (43.5x12.1)+30 she'd do it in a couple of seconds.

Do you seriously mean this?

Or do you just mean she's very good at mental arithmetic?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

You mean you can remember them all?

Good point. Barely, but I do remember the grief, the constant debates, the agony, the frustration, and lack of emotional support, the lack of affection, the extreme lack of femininity, and most importantly, the lack of harmony, and that wonderful feeling of waking up next to a really good woman who always has your back!

• Like 2

There was a hilarious post here about 10 years ago that I actually posted elsewhere:

An older white woman in Chiang Mai was besieged by old horn dogs at the mall -for conversation, only. She felt used in that they would pee on her if she was on fire, but that she was suddenly the belle  of the ball in the Robinson's food court.

Eventually, they will have female OnlyFan superstars who look ordinary enough, but have a really detailed take on Brexit. They'll be sending letters: please send money, the postmodernist oxen have died. 

My friend in São Paulo hit the jackpot: 26 years younger, looks like Jane Birkin, collects 60's free jazz vinyl. He'd been looking for an esoteric jazz GF forever, and found a few Japanese takers over the years. But even there, old jazz is a 97% old male thing and those women were sick of talking about Ornette Coleman with nerd time wasters.

What we find attractive is a much more amorphous basket of attributes than just dress size.

• Like 1

The young Thai woman at Lost Books in Chiang Mai old city (GF of the owner, I think) knew all about William Burroughs when I bought his bio. "He shot his wife in the head", she laughed, "He is a crazy man and his books are too hard to read". She likes Mark Twain. 

Gentlemen, please form an orderly que outside the bookstore.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Come to think of it, none of the foreigners in Thailand seem all that intelligent either, but none of them have degrees, all plumbers, house painters, postmen, etc.

This. 2 months into my relocation, I am seriously depressed to find that AsianNow posters represent the top of brainiac food chain over here, not the broad muddy middle like I thought.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

But none of them are living in Thailand!

All my woman's and daughters friends are educated, at least a degree, and they're all incredibly shallow, ignorant and foolish.

Come to think of it, none of the foreigners in Thailand seem all that intelligent either, but none of them have degrees, all plumbers, house painters, postmen, etc.

One of the wealthier Thai guys was a bit short of money one day (gambling) and robbed a gold shop on Lampun. Used his nephews pickup as the getaway vehicle, arrested that same afternoon.

98% of humans worldwide are stupid.

14 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

This. 2 months into my relocation, I am seriously depressed to find that AsianNow posters represent the top of brainiac food chain over here, not the broad muddy middle like I thought.

What books are you reading?

What are you listening too on youtube?

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

Put us back on the train

You sound very unhappy.

• Haha 1

Nah, it's just that you like unusual things. In that oik-land you call home, what % of people have any interest in Thailand beyond pad thai? Or any interest in anything interesting at all? It's always been a tiny subgroup and always will.

Speaking of free jazz, Coltrane's sidekick, Pharoah Sanders just died. Used to see him in jazz lofts in New York in the 70's. Admission: pass the hat. Crowd: maybe a dozen if it was a weekend show. On a weeknight, the entire audience might be able to share a cab home. He was a legend and a genius, he typically sold about 15,000 of an album, a rounding error for Taylor Swift.

And now people are even less curious and open to new stuff. The world may or not be stupid, but they're def are on the straight and narrow middle of the mainstream on most life experiences.

10 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

What books are you reading?

What are you listening too on youtube?

This aint a thread about how interesting we are, it's about how dull the world is. And again, the access to experience here is much more limited than in the west.

Go into a big bookstore in Bangkok; it has one 10th the titles as in New York. You personally are sick of the west, but the west is more interesting intellectually.

I picked up 100 years of Solitude at the last used book store on Khao San Road. Read it 50 years ago. Still good, but it helps to have been to Latin America to appreciate the surreal, slightly twee tone. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

This aint a thread about how interesting we are, it's about how dull the world is. And again, the access to experience here is much more limited than in the west.

Go into a big bookstore in Bangkok; it has one 10th the titles as in New York. You personally are sick of the west, but the west is more interesting intellectually.

I picked up 100 years of Solitude at the last used book store on Khao San Road. Read it 50 years ago. Still good, but it helps to have been to Latin America to appreciate the surreal, slightly twee tone. 

Amazon sells books worldwide. Also can download books to tablet.

• Like 1