Typhoon Noru

Gecko123

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your mooban or road will become the river........Khon Kaen already has some severe flooding in parts.

Yeah my soi floods occasionally.... typically drains as fast it it floods though.

still not sure what river you speak of though.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Nice tracking map:

https://zoom.earth/#view=16.29,104.09,6.26z/map=live

(click in the dots)

We are exactly in the path. Fortunately wind should calm down much.

But more heavy rain expected from Thursday.

Not much left to swamp and drown the harvest.

Might become another bad year for the farmers.

Today saw people with fishing rods at the rice fields.

Sorry to hear.  This storm as I just saw and looked at some weather sites is absolutely huge

• Like 2

Hope everyone does ok...Our MuBaan is raised + the houses are raised about 2 feet above that.... Below us are thousands of rai lowlands with drain off culverts throughout the region.... I'd hate to think of what it would take to inundate the entire area....One of the reasons we picked here....

According to the locals, it's never happened.... ???? ....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sorry to hear.  This storm as I just saw and looked at some weather sites is absolutely huge

Another drama for you to fantasize about as COVID is winding down.  We are all going to die and live on boats..... Yawn.  I personally don't have wet dreams about people dying but whatever rocks your boat.  

My opinion- a huge storm will pass through Thailand. Probably life will go on after it passes.  Boring but realistic???

Edited by atpeace
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Another drama for you to fantasize about as COVID is winding down.  We are all going to die and live on boats..... Yawn.  I personally don't have wet dreams about people dying but whatever rocks your boat.  

My opinion- a huge storm will pass through Thailand. Probably life will go on after it passes.  Boring but realistic???

Your such a troll....lol

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

With the predicted wind speeds for Thailand I am not too concerned. Wind is what I fear. Flooding is not existent in our area.

Just mud and puddles ????

Feel sorry for the farmers.

I've weathered many typhoons (not many in Thailand, though).  The wind speeds are the least of my worries.  In my experience, a Cat. 5 storm was less to be feared that an almost-Cat. 4 (Cat. 3) storm.  My theory about the reason why is that, while the wind will certainly cause some damage, it is the flooding that is the worst, damage-wise, and the super-high windspeeds of the Cat. 5 storms seem to cause the typhoon to drop its load while still at sea, bringing less water inland.  That's just my theory--I don't know if others would see light in it; but my theory is based on personal experience.

Being on the western side of the mountainous region separating Laos from Vietnam, we're unlikely to get much wind in Thailand, and the mountains will catch their fair share of the water, too.  What we are getting right now, per the satellite imagery, is the cloud formations that are getting sucked toward the typhoon from further west of us.  These were probably formed over the Indian Ocean, and are now heading toward the Pacific, passing over us into the cyclone.  The typhoon itself will reach us in a few days.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, atpeace said:

They'll all be wearing 'I survived Noru' t shirts, and no-one will know what the bloody hell it was.???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tandor said:

...they're fairly easy to identify.

I vaguely recall what one looks like.

A quick check on google tells me there is a river in Chonburi, its Bang Pakong River and it flooding won't affect me, I live about 70km from it.... On a hill.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Hope everyone does ok...Our MuBaan is raised + the houses are raised about 2 feet above that.... Below us are thousands of rai lowlands with drain off culverts throughout the region.... I'd hate to think of what it would take to inundate the entire area....One of the reasons we picked here....

According to the locals, it's never happened.... ????....

I'm in the same boat, house is on a meter high dirt foundation. No real risk of flooding in my immediate vicinity, but other areas, not so far away, really got hit last year. There's pretty bad flooding in some areas : Ayutthaya, Si Saket, Khon Kaen. One thing's for sure: these heavy rains and flooding are doing a lot of crop damage, and delaying late rainy season planting. Cassava rots if the field floods for any length of time, and rice doesn't handle floods very well. Corn and sugar seem to do OK. Thing is, ground's already super saturated, so another big storm is probably going to cause a lot of flooding.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

flooding, for all its devastation it brings is an important factor in replenishing the water reserves. 

It doesn't do a lot for replenishing the supermarkets.

Back in 2011 the distribution chain broke down due to flooding and most supermarket shelves were empty of bottled and canned goods.

Getting hold of beer was a problem, what was available was being reserved for bars to try and keep them in business.

Here in Chonburi we didn't fare too bad as there is a fair amount of local produce but some areas suffered quite a bit.

"Important factors" are more important to some than others.

10 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Think half of it arrived in Hua Hin last night ????

Been here non stop since sunday night.

I first came to Thailand many years ago in late Sept. The days were bright and sunny with frequent rain. The rain however was heavy but brief and an hour later you would never have known. Nothing like the dense cloud and persistent rain seen in recent weeks.

• Like 2