Thailand’s currency weakens to 38 baht per US dollar

snoop1130

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I am admittedly completely ignorant about the exchange rates. I thought the dollar and baht were loosely linked against most other currencies. Can someone enlighten me?

They used to be but since the US dollars economy apparently are strong the dollar has risen over for almost all currencies also over for Bath

9 minutes ago, Misab said:

Should mention it is only the dollar where the baht has weaken

Include the Hong Kong Dollar as it's pegged. The HKMA (Cental Bank HK) have intervened again today and it's likely going to continue as the Fed are tipped to raise rates again in Nov and Dec.

https://www.scmp.com/business/article/3194065/hong-kong-defends-currency-peg-32nd-time-year-amid-outflow-capital-chasing

5 hours ago, fusion58 said:

I’m lovin’ it! ????

A2AB5CDE-68B7-4396-A40F-98A54EF8EE27.jpeg

It would be even better if some of the Money Transfer services didn't take such a big cut for their fees. Other Money Transfer services are more reasonable.

Edited by SiamAndy
Typo

15 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

As I'm English, I do not think so, but I wonder how many yanks benefitting from the rise here, give a hoot about those in the states now that cannot retire as their money will will by 20-25% less income now, or cannot by a house as the rates make purchase impossible. 

Things in the States are a mess now, just as they are in the UK  : (

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Misab said:

Sorry, I step on the toe of a republican

Its got nothing to do with politics, as you seem to think!

Any country just printing vast amounts of money over an extended period raises the infation rate, which really benefits no one!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeymike100 said:

Any country just printing vast amounts of money over an extended period raises the infation rate, which really benefits no one!

Thats absolutely not true, or do you want to tell me it doesnt benefit the USDollar atm?
The USA started with this printing huge amounts of money to finance their bankrupt system. They are bankrupt since many years or is this not the truth?
Fact is also that EUROPE, specially Germany is prining money in vast amounts to support half the world and specially the immigrants from Africa but also their own countrymen. Often you get more money out of government support in Germany as if you get up every morning to do a proper job. I am German, i know what this Pooliticians did to the country in the past years.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai baht continues to weaken against the US dollar, falling to 38/$US, mainly due to the strengthening of the greenback, as a result of the recent increase in the US Federal Reserve’s base rate, which has forced other currencies, including the Thai baht, to weaken. Analysts say, however, that this is not unexpected.

Keep it going... might eventually do something against sterling.

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Isn't the US floating a CBDC (central bank digital currency) later this year? Digitizing the dollar?

Should be erm, interesting.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/news-updates/2022/09/16/technical-possibilities-for-a-u-s-central-bank-digital-currency/

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

As I'm English, I do not think so, but I wonder how many yanks benefitting from the rise here, give a hoot about those in the states now that cannot retire as their money will will by 20-25% less income now, or cannot by a house as the rates make purchase impossible. 

Well, I am concerned about others but … I determined I could not have a working middle class retirement in the USA as a citizen so I looked to join millions of others from the working middle class (USA is not alone here) to retire in a lower cost country. Right now enjoying the $ to Baht rate, being informed that my Medicare monthly premium will be reduced by 3%, plus getting an inflation bump in Social Security for next year.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

What a load of tosh. The US economy is in the toilet  and the the fed raising rates and pulling in money due to the incompetence of Biden and his crew wrecking the economy by printing money, spending it and giving it away to people that want to stay home and not work. Totally the faulty of biden policies. 

Whilst this may well benefit our USA friends, it will kill other exchanges. THAT in turn will destroy the Thai economy more

A Brit tells the forum how America is doing! Let me add Load of trash....

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Well, I am concerned about others but … I determined I could not have a working middle class retirement in the USA as a citizen so I looked to join millions of others from the working middle class (USA is not alone here) to retire in a lower cost country. Right now enjoying the $ to Baht rate, being informed that my Medicare monthly premium will be reduced by 3%, plus getting an inflation bump in Social Security for next year.

Life is staying GOOD these days

• Thumbs Up 1