45 day visa exempt - lots of questions asked at BKK airport

On 10/7/2022 at 10:50 AM, BritTim said:

....That said, do not assume that Thai immigration officials have the same broad discretion that US customs and border control agents have. 

One could argue the Thai Immigration statute grants rather wider power to Thai Immigration Officers (e.g., I am doubtful the US or UK statute is phrased such than an immigration officer can deny entry due to the officer's belief that the denial is "for reason of public order, good morals or culture, or for the happiness of the people").

16 hours ago, timoti said:

I didn't know they were different. I thought if you are visa exempt, then what you get was VOA. Is this not the case? For example for Canada.

Visa exemption means entering Thailand without a visa. This is allowed for tourism purposes for nationals of most first world countries. Apart from your normal entry stamp, there is no other stamp/sticker affixed to your passport.

Some countries' nationals who are not eligible for visa exemption, are allowed to queue up at a special desk on arrival to buy a visa (rather than needing to buy the visa in advance of travel at an embassy/consulate). Usually this "visa on arrival" is not free, unlike a visa exemption. With a VOA, you receive an actual visa in your passport.

If you are from Canada, you are eligible for a visa exemption.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You should try Perth airport OZ. ''why you have small bag and you stayed one month" or ''why you have big bag you only stayed one month" both these questions have been asked to me. The worst immigation I have ever dealt with. Draged out of a wheelchair through a metal detector on leaving, when i was not supossed to put full wieght on a broken pelvis. Bkk is a dream compared with those jobsworths.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 10/7/2022 at 6:59 AM, scubascuba3 said:

In the past the fast track queue was seen as less problematic, maybe that's changed

Last time I came in was fast track. The female IO went through my passport, got me to pose for the foto, I can't even remember if she asked anything about address, I don't think so. I was the only one so she had plenty of scope to make life difficult for me if she'd wanted. I have a fair bit of history, the last though a 2017 60 day TR visa. I was past her in less than 2 minutes. Formal, efficient, neither friendly/unfriendly. Beginning of September.

6 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Any immigration officer in any country has the right to ask questions of anyone trying to enter.

Do not think that's an issue.

From the OP......

"......do you haveThai friends here, and she wanted the phone number of one Thai friend,....".

That's not normal. 

And again the other questions are what is on the TM6 form which strangely has been suspended to "speed up the process".

A few years back I remember queueing at Swampy Immigration on returning to Thailand. I joined a queue where the opposite one was moving much faster than mine, the person opposite me in the other queue got my attention as she was a beautiful young girl.

I was amazed to find that she reached the IO a good few people before me, I would estimate I had to wait at least 15 mins after she had gone through. When I reached the IO I noticed it was a woman, but if I am being honest, I did not look to see if it was a man IO at the other queue, though I would like to bet that it would have been.

On 10/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, Digitalbanana said:

Try and fly in during a premier league football match. When I came in last weekend at BKK, the IO was just tuning his personal tablet in to watch a match live whilst briefly checking my pp. and stamping me in.

What if his team was getting beat? He might have been a supporter of a certain new club in Glasgow. ????

I’m US Citizen born and raised… went back to US after @ 4 years and I got grilled… asked the IO 

shy all the questions… said their looking for someone with similar name… wife flew right through 

before me… 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I’m US Citizen born and raised… went back to US after @ 4 years and I got grilled… asked the IO 

shy all the questions… said their looking for someone with similar name… wife flew right through 

before me… 

Figured "face off" did they? 

On 10/21/2022 at 1:35 AM, ioothaivisa said:

What is the requirement for using the Fast Track Immigration lanes, do you have to pay in advance or are you allowed to use them if you have a Business class ticket or does your specific airline have to subscribe to that benefit?

Do you know if Eva air business class qualifies for the Thai Immigration Fast Track lane?

Generally flying business class gets you a Fast Track Lane pass. (The airlines buy them for their passengers. I've never flown an  international business class flight without getting one...including EVA Air). The airline will give you the pass at check-in for departure and usually on the plane for entry. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Generally flying business class gets you a Fast Track Lane pass. (The airlines buy them for their passengers. I've never flown an  international business class flight without getting one...including EVA Air). The airline will give you the pass at check-in for departure and usually on the plane for entry. 

There are a number of different categories of people who can use the Fast Track lane, including if you're over 70 years old, according to the signs at the airport.

Screenshot_2022_1025_142545.png

21 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

There are a number of different categories of people who can use the Fast Track lane, including if you're over 70 years old, according to the signs at the airport.

Screenshot_2022_1025_142545.png

Yes this is true...the question was regarding business class passengers. I'd be curious to know what they mean by "Long Stay"...would this include those on yearly visa extensions ????

On 10/7/2022 at 12:44 PM, DrJack54 said:

seems rather stupid to suspend the TM6 then ask some of the same questions  by the io.

Actually, a very efficient move. If someone fits the "satisfactory" profile that Imm Management provides to its IOs, then no need for this TM6 data. But, if someone approaches the podium with a tattoo on his forehead, nose piercings, and a dirty tank top -- expect some questions. Of course, the IO can have her/his own profile criteria, as simple as a smile vs. a frown. Certainly, giving IOs discretionary authority is prudent management, as no employee wants to feel like a robot. But, if certain IOs are constantly holding up the line with too many questions, that's where supervisors come in.

Anyway, put a band aid on that tattoo, smile, and don't dress like a bum -- but expect an IO having a bad day anyway. Welcome to Thailand.

On 10/25/2022 at 4:46 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Fast Track Passes were binned several years ago.  If you are in Business or First you are eligible and merely have to show your boarding pass.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JimGant said:

. But, if someone approaches the podium with a tattoo on his forehead, nose piercings, and a dirty tank top -- expect some questions

Read the OP again.

Seems he did not fit the profile you paint on some sort of tangent.

The reasonable questions that were asked are all provided on the suspended TM6.

The question about "Thai friends in Thailand" and provide phone # of Thai friend is so ridiculous it's almost unbelievable. 

2 hours ago, DodgerRodger said:

Fast Track Passes were binned several years ago.  If you are in Business or First you are eligible and merely have to show your boarding pass.

Okay...thanks for that. I haven't flown long-haul international for about 5 years. I have a flight to the States on Tuesday, however. 

On 10/25/2022 at 10:46 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

What extra pass they give you? The only thing they give is your boarding pass which shows you are in business class.

The only extra pass they give you is for the business class lounges.

Edited by bbi1

The ticket counter used to give you a paper pass. You had to show it to the checker to enter the fast lane door and surrender it to passport control so immigration could bill the airline.

The counter used to also issue you a pass for the lounge but apparently they've done away with that too. Now the only time I get a separate paper pass is when the airline doesn't have its own lounge, like PAL.

BTW, the fast lane was closed for construction when I arrived late last month. I had to use the "secret" fast lane in the main immigration hall.

Edited by 10years
Add
  • Haha 1