Homes face winter power cuts in worst-case scenario, says National Grid

Scott

1 minute ago, Iamfalang said:

Can we go nuclear by Wednesday?

Wednesday in 2035 yes, before doubtful. The government has put this off for years because these morons are against it. Why don't we send these woke radicals to an uninhabited island and leave them there; they would be very happy I am sure.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always thought that EVs was a sneaky way for the governments to clear the roads of all the poor people, so the rich would have an easier drive.

Solar provides around 75% of my household energy in Thailand.

Obviously that wouldn't work in the UK.

I have my doubts about current EVs and their sustainability, the technology needs to be better. 

Solar and wind power are both viable options in the U.K., wind power at present being the best option. Currently the U.K. is a world leader in wind power technology and its application. Possibly the best in Europe according to some accounts. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Only if it’s en suite.  

It is. Swimming pool, well it is the sea actually but lets not argue about that. Only downside and it is a small one is when the tide is high it comes into the cave, Small price to pay though.

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

It is. Swimming pool, well it is the sea actually but lets not argue about that. Only downside and it is a small one is when the tide is high it comes into the cave, Small price to pay though.

No worries. Saves on mopping the floor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think there will almost certainly be power cuts.

Not only in the UK, but across Europe and the USA as well.

It's the only way the 'renewable energy' movement can end.

Texas was just the first of many electricity failing events to come.

And would have been likely even without the foolish war on Russia.

Well, if you wanted to show us how little unfounded your remarks are about renewable energy, you couldn't have chose a better way than to cite Texas. The people who run that grid did an investigation. As they pointed out, the nuclear power supply failed because of a frozen pump.,the gas supplies failed because the pipelines were insufficiently insulated, and the wind turbines failed because they were insufficiently hardened. North of Texas, in Oklahoma, where the weather was even colder, wind turbines did fine because the rules there are stricter. Texas had its massive failure because the energy industry was treated very indulgently by the regulators.

https://energy.utexas.edu/sites/default/files/UTAustin (2021) EventsFebruary2021TexasBlackout 20210714.pdf

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Solar and wind provide something like 4% of the requirement. What will happen if everyone, as unlikely as it is, changes to EV's? We cant provide the basic requirements, with EV's there will be a total blackout. 

4% of the requirement of what?

Actually in 2020 wind power provided 24% of total electric power. What's more, the time of year that wind power provides the most power is in winter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Almost anyone that thinks solar and wind power are the only way forward.

It's a destructive (to our civilisation) fantasy!

I don’t know anyone who thinks solar and wind power are the only way forward.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Wednesday in 2035 yes, before doubtful. The government has put this off for years because these morons are against it. Why don't we send these woke radicals to an uninhabited island and leave them there; they would be very happy I am sure.

I'm more in favour of Douglas Adams solution to bureaucrats, which could include woke radicals.

57 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It may indeed be "the future" though IMO it will more likely be some other more reliable and less polluting to make technology eg nuclear fusion or using hydrogen instead of oil based fuel. IC motors can be adapted to use hydrogen, or electric cars can use hydrogen fuel cells.

IMO wind and solar are simply not reliable enough without massive battery storage capacity and that alone will cause disposal problems. Hydrogen can be distributed using the same proven system as fossil gas was/ is.

The big blades of windmills are already proving to be a problem to dispose of when needing replacement.

Wind and solar energy already account for a 24% of the uks energy use.  

Nuclear energy is a no no for me.

Renewable sourced energy is the future. More investment in such is the way to develop better technology. 

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Wind and solar energy already account for a 24% of the uks energy use.  

Nuclear energy is a no no for me.

Renewable sourced energy is the future. More investment in such is the way to develop better technology. 

They already have all the technology needed to go hydrogen, but have gone down the wrong ( IMO ) path of battery electric. Much like when VDO went VHS instead of the better Beta.

Is any country capable of going all electric cars if they have to be recharged from the current grid? LOL.

Nuclear is only current technology to power universal battery cars without creating massive CO2 output. Go hydrogen and no need for nuclear.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They already have all the technology needed to go hydrogen, but have gone down the wrong ( IMO ) path of battery electric. Much like when VDO went VHS instead of the better Beta.

Is any country capable of going all electric cars if they have to be recharged from the current grid? LOL.

Nuclear is only current technology to power universal battery cars without creating massive CO2 output. Go hydrogen and no need for nuclear.

I am not talking about cars specifically. However I would rather go without if nuclear was the answer. 

38 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I am not talking about cars specifically. However I would rather go without if nuclear was the answer. 

Perhaps you can, but some of us could not. Why else would I spend too much on a car that i never wanted? In Thailand I never needed a car or a m'bike as it actually has a public transport service. Likewise in London.

If done properly, nuclear is a perfectly safe method of producing power as proven by the French. If they could sort the disposal it would be perfect in a CO2 averse world.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps you can, but some of us could not. Why else would I spend too much on a car that i never wanted? In Thailand I never needed a car or a m'bike as it actually has a public transport service. Likewise in London.

If done properly, nuclear is a perfectly safe method of producing power as proven by the French. If they could sort the disposal it would be perfect in a CO2 averse world.

As I said. I wasn’t talking about cars. 

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

"I am not talking about cars specifically. However I would rather go without if nuclear was the answer."

That sure seems to be about cars.

Nope, that was a response to your post, a response that makes clear I wasn’t talking about cars.

I never raised the issue. 

Edited by Bluespunk

I pretty much lean toward renewable energy and moving away from our dependence on fossil fuels, however, we've got a ways to go.  In the meantime, we are going to have to rely on less pleasant alternatives.   

Nuclear makes me nervous, but it is less likely to contribute to climate change.   We live in very trying times, and we just can't achieve some of the environmental goals.  Idealism may have to wait.