Visa Type for US Military Contractors

I was curious if anyone know what types of visas/extensions US military contractors with security clearances (have to be US citizens) are using? I'm not sure if there are multiple options (Type F, BOI, etc.) or is it a straight non-B.  It'd be  a US company working for the US government (possibly no 4 thai employees, etc.).  Any of them eventually get Permanent Residency out of it? TIA

13 hours ago, jdlancaster said:

Can't be too specific, but.... E.g. liason, planning, translation, consulting, teaching etc  between US-Thai military. I'm curious if there are more than 1 option available and would try to push for whatever is the most advantageous, should I take it.

You extension of stay after getting a non immigrant visa would fall under number 27 here (click to see the requirements).

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=1890

You would also probably qualify for a non-f visa that can be applied for at immigration.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/16.FOR-OFFICIAL-GOVERNMENT-DUTIES-NON-F.pdf

That responsibility should fall on the company you're working for?

Do you work for the US Government as a Civil Servant?  If so, it's all done for you.  I worked 30 years for the DoD and was covered by whatever agreement the US had with the host country.  I spent a couple years in Japan and was covered by the SOFA agreement.   In Thailand I worked in Sri Racha, Laem Chabang, Sattahip, Phuket and was covered by whatever agreement the US had with Thailand at the time.

I worked with other civilians that worked for companies under a DoD contract and thier companies took care of everything for them.

All we ever needed to do was show our passports to immigration upon arrival and we'd get stamped in and out.  When leaving we go to immigration, get stamped in, then stamped out at airport. We just needed to carry our US Government ID / CAC when out and about.

Are you an independent contractor?  That's a different story, you'll need to do it on your own.

18 hours ago, jdlancaster said:

Can't be too specific, but.... E.g. liason, planning, translation, consulting, teaching etc  between US-Thai military

If this is a contract between US Gov't and Thai Gov't/military, I would think courtesy visas would be in order:

Upon official request, Thai Embassies and Consulates-General may grant courtesy visas to diplomatic/official/ordinary passport-holders who wish to enter the Kingdom on official duty and/or other purposes.

Although the above says ordinary passports would be OK, if the contractors could secure maroon "official" passports, probably mo' betta. Some of our contractors out of PACAF, working in Korea with the ROKAF, had official passports (as did us active duty Air Force types).

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the replies. I can’t go into the details. 
Yes, I’m fluent in Thai ILR level 3/CEFR C2. There is a test in the military you take called the DLPT. And yes I’m fluent in English…. Fat fingers on a phone not withstanding.

howlee101, the security clearance is why a Thai can’t do the job. 

For those confused, not a civil servant/GS. Yes I understand the company takes care of everything. I can influence which method they use if more than 1. Unless I specify, they will do what is easiest for them not what is best for me.

• Like 1

Hi,

im also working for Royal Thai Airforce. 

we are hired directly by Thai government. We are all ex army/veteran or etc. officers training thai air force or likewise branches

now:

1) you are working for an american company or US government working with thai government, you will get F visa and item 27 as Ubon mentioned. 

2) you are like us hired by thai government, normal non-b but you will get some of ID which will put you in VIP situation. Its kind of military card. Believe or not but it works great. Show it to cops they will let you go away from almost any situation you will face. But expect a call to your work from the police explaining what happened.

if its number 1, US government or company should do everything and you dont need to worry. Thai embassy and US officials will arrange all for you. Plus its not possible that you will do these documents by yourself if your working for the US government.

PS: i think i know what you will be doing here. I have friends before in your position. they left now. went to Korea. Most likely we will meet, also no need to this top secret thing. its not that secret and actually not even military thing that much... see ya soon

good luck

Edited by problemfarang

22 hours ago, jdlancaster said:

howlee101, the security clearance is why a Thai can’t do the job

I understand the security clearance requirements and why foreign nationals can't fill a position requiring a clearance.  My reply was in relation to your original post "I was curious if anyone know what types of visas/extensions US military contractors with security clearances".  As for permanent residency, here is the link on this forum regarding what you need to know:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1260822-do-i-qualify-for-thai-permanent-residency-free-guide/

On 10/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, jdlancaster said:

@Jaybott Do you happen to remember if they were on type F or Non-Imm B...? I ask because if possible I would try to eventually get permanent residency out of it. The salary I'm willing to accept changes a bit based on visa types.

In my situation I never had to get any type of Visa.  When in Thailand I worked on US Navy combat and logistical support ships.  Myself and the other civilians were basically treated the same as the military was. After I'd arrive in Thailand and report aboard ship, my passport would be stamped out by immigration.  From there I was required to always carry my CAC if out and about, just as the US Military was required.  When my job was complete, if I left Thailand with the ship I was good to go.  If I wanted to take some annual leave and stay in Thailand I'd need to get my passport stamped back in and my 30 days would start.

I would think that your hiring agency should be able to help you with this.