Shopkeeper Arrested For Bashing Up Foreign Tourist With Skateboard

webfact

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

To all the people here who blame the Thai guy: How long are you in Thailand and how often did any Thai person beat you or even try to beat you?

Personally, I am here since 25 years and it never happened. So it seems this is not typical behavior.

On the other hand, I saw more than once that someone was beat up because he opened his mouth far too much. Som nam na.

I have walked around Bangkok and Pattaya many times in the last 15 years both morning and night, though never in the early hours. Have never had a problem, and never felt in any danger, felt safe all the time.

Could never do that back in Glasgow, or probably in any UK city. Thai's may not be the most intelligent people particularly on the roads, but they are never going to attack you unprovoked or just for the fun of it.

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

1. Take photos of the injuries right away.

2. Visit the local hospital for medical care. Get a receipt for this.

3. Make a police report.

4. The cops probably won't pursue criminal charges, but you can at least demand compensation for the hospital bill. This is what the Thais do and show off on the news every time.

You can demand compensation for the medical bill?? Really! Any reports I have read about the medical profession here in Thailand does not put them in a good light.

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

3. Make a police report.

4. The cops probably won't pursue criminal charges, but you can at least demand compensation for the hospital bill. This is what the Thais do and show off on the news every time.

"This is what the Thais do and show off on the news every time." although I have not had any personal experience with the Thai medical profession, I can see them letting of the Thai's but when they see a white face the cash register immediately rings in their heads.

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

same thing happens quite regularly in my home town. no matter how much it gets you off to think that way but this is not exclusive to Thailand.

seen the same thing happen at Surfrider in Malibu.  only the idiots use surfboards.  automatic $10k lawsuit.  and yes the cops are on the beach with ATV's

Edited by malibukid

4 hours ago, BritScot said:
6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It really isn't "typical Thai behaviour" though , it happens infrequently in Thailand and its a regular occurrence in some other Countries 

This is a thai forum!!! Phew....

No, it's not, it's an English-language forum in Thailand called Asean Now, with worldwide sub-forums.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, malibukid said:

seen the same thing happen at Surfrider in Malibu.  only the idiots use surfboards.  automatic $10k lawsuit.  and yes the cops are on the beach with ATV's

Yup….I remember that from the 70’s.  Malibu surfers (locals) were well known for their aggressiveness to any outsiders poaching their waves.  Went there once as a kid.  Never again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malibu_Locals_Only

6 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

3. Make a police report.

It's only a smack on head and face by a thai man why couldn't it have been an Indian grabbing my asse compensation would be great instead of 500 baht and a wai?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

To all the people here who blame the Thai guy: How long are you in Thailand and how often did any Thai person beat you or even try to beat you?

Personally, I am here since 25 years and it never happened. So it seems this is not typical behavior.

On the other hand, I saw more than once that someone was beat up because he opened his mouth far too much. Som nam na.

Maybe in your little ระดับต่ํา village this activity is not seen very much but I have seen many such occurrences in my twenty years of living in Thailand. The Thai men are very jealous and will do unheard of violence. A friend of mine was knifed and killed by a jealous Thai husband only because my friend was trying to help his wife at work. 

6 hours ago, phetphet said:

I thought cannabis was supposed to chill you out. Perhaps the attacker should try some of his own soda.

Why did he get involved in the first place? Was his friend coming off worst in the  fight?

Whether his friend was winning or losing they join in anyway don't you know thais think its illegal to fight 1 on 1 odds far better when they have a load of mates to join in 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it's not, it's an English-language forum in Thailand called Asean Now, with worldwide sub-forums.

Obviously! It's about Thailand and now other aisian counties.  It has gone through many changes and not always for the good of the site and the genuine expat community/people with connection to Thailand.  It was supposed to be fun and informative. 

1 hour ago, Screaming said:

Maybe in your little ระดับต่ํา village this activity is not seen very much but I have seen many such occurrences in my twenty years of living in Thailand. The Thai men are very jealous and will do unheard of violence. A friend of mine was knifed and killed by a jealous Thai husband only because my friend was trying to help his wife at work. 

I am living in the middle of Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.

Maybe you should get out of your village and discover that there are other villages which are much bigger. ???? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

Obviously! It's about Thailand and now other aisian counties.  It has gone through many changes and not always for the good of the site and the genuine expat community/people with connection to Thailand.  It was supposed to be fun and informative. 

and the only forum which is active is the Thai forum. Nobody can be bothered to take part in the Philippines forum..........

6 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

That area has no appeal to myself and probably 99% of Thai Visa forum members.   

Fakesville Thailand. 

If you’re projecting and don’t think the ‘socks n sandalled boomers’ fit in there you maybe right... 

If you’re the type of person who thinks ‘real’ Thailand is mor-lam music and listening to destitute splay-toed farmgirls calling you hansom-man while trying to earn an extra buck in a bar, then you might be right !!! 

Yet, the area is and always has been very popular with young Thai’s.... and not for the ‘back-packer’ element, but because the area has a vibrant nightlife and has for decades...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am living in the middle of Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.

Maybe you should get out of your village and discover that there are other villages which are much bigger. ???? 

Pretentious.

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Thailand has a huge drug problem (yaba) and there are many who inflict violence with little cause. (Have any noticed the massive recent headlines about mass murder?) This guy was closing his drug shop at 5am when he noticed an altercation involving a friend so he decided to smash the foreigner in the head with a hardened piece of wood. I tend to think it was more about hatred of outsiders than protecting a friend or the honor of a lady still in the street at that hour.

From the link, for the apologists who say it's never happened in their 50 years in the country. Just a couple of examples. I could find scores of random violence incidents inflicted on foreigners with a little research. 

British tourist slashed to death in Kanchanaburi, friend badly wounded

TV presenter wife of German footballer to return despite being mugged

Man held for assaulting, robbing Russian woman

You can add me as well threatened by father in law with a shotgun

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you’re projecting and don’t think the ‘socks n sandalled boomers’ fit in there you maybe right... 

If you’re the type of person who thinks ‘real’ Thailand is mor-lam music and listening to destitute splay-toed farmgirls calling you hansom-man while trying to earn an extra buck in a bar, then you might be right !!! 

Yet, the area is and always has been very popular with young Thai’s.... and not for the ‘back-packer’ element, but because the area has a vibrant nightlife and has for decades...

If that's your thing enjoy yourself.

It's a shame they "updated" it.  

I'm going to Bangkok next month maybe we'll stop by and check it out.

Edited by MrJ2U