Almost refused entry at Suvarnabhumi

8 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

If all the Immigration offices had the same rules and all the Immigration Officers obeyed the rules and interpreted them the same way, you would be correct.

Unfortunately as we all know this is not the case, even in the same office different officers say different things.

How many people on this forum have posted about problems with immigration, I got to admit sometimes its the fault of the applicant, but other times it seems the IO deliberately makes things difficult.

If you live fairly close to the Immigration Office and if its just a missing form or something, usually its not a problem, but some folks live hours away.

It seems Immigration change things many times without informing anyone, so you turn up and hey, you need to fill this in, or copy something.

Good agents take away the anxiety and  can give folks peace of mind. You have to pay for the peace of mind though, but some think its worth it.

This applies to immigration in every country though. It is "at their descretion." If there are red flags, think you are trying to circumvent immigration laws, think you can't afford your stay, they can deny you. If I was an immigration officer, getting married back to back is certainly a red flag. He got off lucky.

19 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Was your Non O based on marriage? If so when did it expire?  As far as I know, and Ubonjoe will possibly confirm or debunk this, even though you divorced, your visa was still valid and if it hadn't expired you could have continued using it and not created the situation you describe.

I continued using a Non O after a divorce until it expired and never had any problems.

I was going to say that, but he may be too young to extend on retirement if his visa/ extension expired

It doesn't matter what one gets non O based on. I always got visa based on marriage and extended based on retirement. Consulate only did non O based on marriage.

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your permission of stay ends the day your divorce is finalized.

However immigration is not informed of your divorce so in reality you could stay in Thailand until the expiry of current permit.

If referring to non O visa, that's incorrect. I got divorced and stayed on extension for retirement. My non O was granted based on marriage.

IMO immigration only cares about a valid non O visa when extending.

15 hours ago, proton said:

Great unwashed masses, how elitist can you get! Last time I did an extension it took 20 minutes and cost 1.900 baht, how much did it cost you? People using agents either have more money than sense or just have no money in the bank. 

Rubbish.

To get an appointment at Chiang Mai I had to get in q by 4 am and hope I was early enough to obtain one of tickets for the day. First places in the q were occupied by agents.

Using an agent meant I only had to turn up at 10 am after bank opened to get updated bankbook, and get photo taken. No worry I'd used wrong documents, wrong colour pen, wrong size photo, wrong clothes etc.

No stress was easily worth the cost of the agent.

4 hours ago, hioctane said:

This applies to immigration in every country though. It is "at their descretion." If there are red flags, think you are trying to circumvent immigration laws, think you can't afford your stay, they can deny you. If I was an immigration officer, getting married back to back is certainly a red flag. He got off lucky.

I seriously doubt airport immigration has the ins and outs of a marriage. If you think how fast they process people it's basically a computer telling them thumbs up or down.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If referring to non O visa, that's incorrect. I got divorced and stayed on extension for retirement. My non O was granted based on marriage.

IMO immigration only cares about a valid non O visa when extending.

It's not incorrect.

True you can change what the non O is based on.

In your example from marriage to retirement.

That would need to be done when the divorce is finalized.

Also naturally you would need to qualify for retirement. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not incorrect.

True you can change what the non O is based on.

In your example from marriage to retirement.

That would need to be done when the divorce is finalized.

Also naturally you would need to qualify for retirement. 

If I wasn't correct, why was I not deported after I got divorced? I did nothing, stayed in LOS till extension expired and just renewed my extension as retired.

Obviously one would need to qualify to use retirement and I pointed that out in one of my posts.

BTW, it's not mandatory to extend based on marriage just because one obtained non O based on marriage, so best to extend on retirement regardless, if one can.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I wasn't correct, why was I not deported after I got divorced? I did nothing, stayed in LOS till extension expired and just renewed my extension as retired.

Obviously one would need to qualify to use retirement and I pointed that out in one of my posts.

BTW, it's not mandatory to extend based on marriage just because one obtained non O based on marriage, so best to extend on retirement regardless, if one can.

I will type it one more time.

The day you get divorced your permission of stay ends.

I also mentioned that immigration is not notified so people could just remain on their current extension.

Usually to then change to based on retirement for next extension the wife would be required at the time of the extension even though you are changing to based on retirement. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did they know you were divorced in between the time it occurred and you redid the extension based upon retirement?  If you just kept quiet, like I surmise, and they never knew until you changed the reason for you extension of stay by completing a new application and now showing the correct financials of 800k in the bank instead of 400k then you were lucky.  If they had known you were divorced your extension would have been canceled, you given 7 days to leave the country, and then when you returned you could have started the process again. Many change the extension from married to retirement at the annual extension time and are never asked why as long as all of the paperwork is correct.

19 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Agree, these days immigration want you to use an agent, here in Pattaya anyway. Talking to a friend in the gym the other day, British guy. He got his 30 day entry on arrival, went to Pattaya immigration for an extention and was told at the front desk '7 days only'. 

He ended up going up country, visiting his friends and went to the local immigration, they approved another month or so. 

I use an agent, I give them what they ask for and a little bit of money and they do it all, even do my 90 day reports. 

Never believe the front desk at Jomtien. If he came in on a 30 visa exempt entry he automaticaly qualifies for a 30 day extension on this entry and not 7 days to leave the country. Some inaccuracies here on the story you were told.

Edited by jimn

12 minutes ago, jimn said:

Never believe the front desk at Jomtien. If he came in on a 30 visa exempt entry he automaticaly qualifies for a 30 day extension on this entry and not 7 days to leave the country. Some inaccuracies here on the story you were told.

Absolutely....  It's extremely common that the person who ‘should’ be in the know, often isn’t. 

Guys will ask some junior officer manning a desk about some policy or requirement or other, that person will answer with an air of authority but sourcing from their limited knowledge base which has been passed down by peers and is often either outright incorrect or not up-to-date. 

In quite a few situations I’ve had to press an issue and get  senior officer to resolve a misunderstanding of a junior person we stumble across at the first desk - this has also happened at the Airport on arrival. 

On 10/11/2022 at 9:58 AM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

"Almost refused entry at Suvarnabhumi"

I almost won the lottery last week ¯\_()_/¯

Almost got a freebie on Soi 6 yesterday. 

Wasn't refused entry though, not even almost. 

Should change thread title to "was almost unmarried for more than one month"

If a simple question to the OP gives him that much stress to think he was almost denied entry, I'm thinking it has to do with him dreading the thought of staying unmarried a bit longer ???? 

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2022 at 2:02 AM, DrJack54 said:

Your permission of stay ends the day your divorce is finalized.

However immigration is not informed of your divorce so in reality you could stay in Thailand until the expiry of current permit.

I'm not doubting your information but do you have a link to the rule that states that? It would be useful to have the facts.

All I know is that (as you agree with) I never had a problem entering after my divorce.

46 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

All I know is that (as you agree with) I never had a problem entering after my divorce.

I stated that immigration would not know unless someone tells them (x wife) .

This thread (one of many) discusses the topic.

There also can be an issue with changing to based on retirement at end of extension based on marriage if divorced during the extension period.

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm not doubting your information but do you have a link to the rule that states that? It would be useful to have the facts.

If on a extension of stay based upon marriage it states it on the STM2 form you complete and sign when doing the application. Download: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/Form-STM2.pdf

If you have a multiple entry non-o visa there is no rule that prevents you from using it until it expires.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:10 AM, PattayaKevin said:

She then asked if my future wife is Thai. I said yes. She then said congratulations and stamped me in. I was on a non O visa up until June of this year when I divorced my ex wife.

Good you left out the part about the ex-wife...she would have probably denied entry on the basis of being a serial monogamist ????????????

• Haha 1