Masseur pulled my muscle.

Padthaigoong

Just now, CharlieH said:

Ludicrous to attempt to compare the two.It is upto the Therapist to determine what or if any treatment is suitable, 

You are trying to move  your responsibility in informing the therapist of any medical condition that you know you have that could be detrimental to what the therapist can do from you onto the therapist. Accept your responsibility in informing them as a person should do. So you do not inform the doctor of your ailment and expect him to waste his time trying to diagnose what is wrong with you. 

• Love It 1

9 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You are trying to move  your responsibility in informing the therapist of any medical condition that you know you have that could be detrimental to what the therapist can do from you onto the therapist. Accept your responsibility in informing them as a person should do. So you do not inform the doctor of your ailment and expect him to waste his time trying to diagnose what is wrong with you. 

Explain to me how a "customer" can determine what treatment /product etc is relevent to any condition he may have ? Only the therapist can determine that.

The very first thing any Doctor wil do is ask questions, thats the point.Yes the customer has to disclose if asked but a "customer" may not think something is relevent because they are not qualified to determine if it is or not.

You honestly believe most of these massage girls give a hoot if you have high blood pressure or have been undergoing chemotherapy, or would know the implications if you told them !

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Explain to me how a "customer" can determine what treatment /product etc is relevent to any condition he may have ? Only the therapist can determine that.

The very first thing any Doctor wil do is ask questions, thats the point.Yes the cudtomrr has to disclose if asked but a "customer" may not think something is relevent because they are not qualified to determine if it is or not.

You honestly believe most of these massage girls give a hoot if you have high blood pressure or have been u dergoing chemotherapy, kr would know if you told them !

But it is up to you to tell the doctor that I have this symptom so that he has somewhere to start but according to your standards it is up to the doctor to ask all the questions first. It is your responsibility to freely give the information to your doctor or your therapist first so that they can then ask additional questions if needed to work out what procedures can be safe done 

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

But it is up to you to tell the doctor that I have this symptom so that he has somewhere to start but according to your standards it is up to the doctor to ask all the questions first. It is your responsibility to freely give the information to your doctor or your therapist first so that they can then ask additional questions if needed to work out what procedures can be safe done 

And you think these massage girls woukd know and fully understand what you are telling them.Give me a break.

• Haha 2

I had some great massages back in the day, mostly in Indonesia and the Philippines. The ones in Vietnam were never that great and the Thai ones were very variable, depending on whether the masseuse decided to turn me into a pretzel or just give me a decent gentle massage. I haven't had a massage for years now, ever since I explained to my wife what a happy ending was.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

And you think these massage girls woukd know and fully understand what you are telling them.Give me a break.

Well don't come into our shop because you will be told where to go if you are not going to give the information that is expected of you. For the record CharlieH we have a massage shop and my wife has 5 certificates from the Ministry of Public Health in regards to her qualifications and the shop is also certified by the Ministry of Public Health and licenced by the Ministry of Public Health and also by the Provincial Government

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Well don't come into our shop because you will be told where to go if you are not going to give the information that is expected of you. For the record CharlieH we have a massage shop and my wife has 5 certificates from the Ministry of Public Health in regards to her qualifications and the shop is also certified by the Ministry of Public Health and licenced by the Ministry of Public Health and also by the Provincial Government

Shame they all werent, but yours is the exception not the general rule. As a qualified Therapist and former University teacher in the subject I know too.

Shame they all werent, but yours is the exception not the rule. As a qualied Therapist and former University teacher in the subject I know too.

Well, don't come up into this area as all the shops are regularly inspected and a copy of the qualification certificates of every girl that works in the shop must be kept and along with the shop certification and the licence presented every 12 months when we are inspected and our licence renewed

8 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Well, don't come up into this area as all the shops are regularly inspected and a copy of the qualification certificates of every girl that works in the shop must be kept and along with the shop certification and the licence presented every 12 months when we are inspected and our licence renewed

Good for you. In my opinion judging by my experience with massage shops, any paper they may have is pretty worthless judging by what I observed and received.

Although in fairness not many have any such certificates etc on display. 

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Good for you. In my opinion judging by my experience with massage shops, any paper they may have is pretty worthless judging by what I observed.

Although in fairness not many have any such certificates etc on display. 

All our certificates are on display as they should be. But this has gotten away from the original post. It is the responsibility of the customer to inform the massage shop of any medical condition that may affect any massage that may be given and it is up to the customer what type of massage they want. Our main problem with customers is with the farang customers because for some stupid reason they do not want to disclose any medical conditions that they have so that the massage staff can adjust the massage accordingly. Never a problem with the Thai customers

10 hours ago, wprime said:

I get this regularly in my legs and shoulders from muscle release (though at a hospital).

From my understanding, the spasmed muscle is irritating or compressing a nerve which is making a particular area numb. Then, when you release the spasmed muscle, you can feel that area again and it happens to hurt.

Do you take Magnesium or similar based medications for muscle spasms? I often get back, leg, foot muscle lock, which is of course very painful. I discovered years ago that Magnesium, Bio-magnesium or similar tabs give quick full relief. 

47 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

All our certificates are on display as they should be. But this has gotten away from the original post. It is the responsibility of the customer to inform the massage shop of any medical condition that may affect any massage that may be given and it is up to the customer what type of massage they want. Our main problem with customers is with the farang customers because for some stupid reason they do not want to disclose any medical conditions that they have so that the massage staff can adjust the massage accordingly. Never a problem with the Thai customers

Well we clearly differ on that.In my opinion its the Therapist responsibility to ask the general contraindications prior to ANY treatment.If they dont want to answer them, they dont get treated.

That is the safest approach, rather than relying on them to disclose something or not that they may think is not even relevent to a massage.

IMHO

I go every week out of boredom and slightly for post-exercise relief.   I used to have some expectations, now none.   300 baht or something for an hour and it's a good time killer.

Let's say 7 years, maybe twice I felt like she injured me.   Once was actually my fault, I had an injury and only hoped the massage would help it.  nope.   yea, it's a risk for sure.  

you gotta speak some Thai and be proactive....tell them not to do this area too hard, etc.....  talk to them before as well.

yea, they aren't real professionals, I don't care.

this is LOS.....they will tell you they have been taught by the super master and actually learned from YouTube 10-minutes ago.  They just want your money.  

After all these years, I still find it amusing some stranger will rub you all over for an hour for like 300 baht.   

if over 60, out-of-shape, have actual issues........yea, probably avoid them all just to be safe.  

• Like 1

A Thai massage which may well be therapeutic, would certainly not involve any oil.

From my experience which is fairly extensive. There are 3 type of places.

Girls in no uniform stood out side small place and offering 'massage services' no cashier and generally 3 or 4 girls. Here anything goes and a massage is probably the lesser chosen option. Full sex pretty much anything you want with as much noise as you want.

Girls in uniform, at least 3 or 4 upto 15 girls, classy looking, foot massage chairs downstairs and rooms upstairs, has a cashier and possibly even a falang couple having their feet rubbed. Here there are two options, oil or Thai. Oil means there will be extras available, and any of the women area available, although its unlikely they will take their clothes off and full sex is an unlikely option. Thai means (firstly there will a be a look of dissapoitment on the massage girls faces if you take this option) as this involves some knowledge and not every girl will be put forward for this. You have to wear a robe and the chances of a 'tommy tank' are unlikely, full sex is pretty much off the cards.

Health massage places to me seem like a bit of a scam and have often seen younger lads working in them, not sure what goes on in these and has not frequented them.

I detest oil massages, feel like I have been basted ready for cooking.

It's not hard to say "bow bow krap" when getting a massage.

I usually use massage shops with older women, more experienced than young women, who mostly regard massage as the preliminary for sex. Not that I object to that for anyone else.

The village has one very experienced masseuse who would normally get my custom. As she simply would not back off in pressure when asked to do so, I gave up after two sessions.

IMO it is very important to relax when being massaged, otherwise bad things can happen.

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Ludicrous to attempt to compare the two.It is upto the Therapist to determine what or if any treatment is suitable, 

It’s not ludicrous at all as there are many food allergies that can cause serious problems and can be just as dangerous as a muscle strain.

My former wife suffered from coeliac disease and always informed restaurants before ordering food.

If you have a physical problem it is stupidity not to inform the person who is treating you the same way you should inform a medical person if you have specific medical issues, allergies to drugs etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seajae said:

I suffer with a debilitating back problem and occassionally get a massage when muscles are tight. Last time I went the girl usually massages me wasnt available so another girl started & did similar to this applying a lot of pressure to a lower part of my back, afterwards I was in pain &  I could hardly walk for several days. They are not trained at all, they learn from others doing it like many who work in Thailand, no registered schooling/learning in their  trade is very common here which is why there are many problems in different fields of work, qualifications in Thailand are not required for many jobs

"qualifications in Thailand are not required for many jobs".

Certainly not when it comes to running the country.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Pressure directly over the spine as an example, the whole thing could have detrimental effect depending on the health and medication of the recipient.They NEVER ask or find out first.

Isn't pushing down on the back one of the key parts of an oil massage though?  I've never even had one, but from what I've seen one thing you can guarantee is that you're going to get a masseuse pushing on your back, unless you specifically ask them not to.

It would seem a bit weird if the masseuse needed to ask people if they are OK with being massaged before a massage, but I guess there are some daft people around.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm glad you said that, an oil massage to me is just a pat on the hand. It's the tamest of any Thai massages and difficult to understand how anyone gets hurt during the course of one, unless they tripped whilst getting onto the table perhaps? Dunno.

Quite.  I got the impression that it wasn't actually anything the masseuse did wrong, more just something unusual that happened to the OP.  Not sure why people are making out that an oil massage can be wildly dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Why choose to be silent? I think you are wrong. You seem to think that all these people are "experts" but then chastise them. Some people should not go in the first place as it appears in some posts here. Then they go and complain! 

10 hours ago, seajae said:

I suffer with a debilitating back problem and occassionally get a massage when muscles are tight. Last time I went the girl usually massages me wasnt available so another girl started & did similar to this applying a lot of pressure to a lower part of my back, afterwards I was in pain &  I could hardly walk for several days. They are not trained at all, they learn from others doing it like many who work in Thailand, no registered schooling/learning in their  trade is very common here which is why there are many problems in different fields of work, qualifications in Thailand are not required for many jobs

If they were medically trained masseuse you would pay a lot more. May be go for a  massage  at a hospital where it hopefully gets done by someone trained to do it.