Pattaya area: Well known businessman killed after driving BMW under 18 wheel truck

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Huay Yai police and rescue services were called to the Ban Nern Khao U-turn on Route 331, (KM markers 23-24) the Sattahip to Korat road.

At the U-turn where there are no lights a BMW 5 series had gone under the middle of an Isuzu truck.

Dead in the driver's seat was Krissada Payungphol, 32.

It took a rescue team an hour to cut out the body then take it away for autopsy, reported Thai Rath.

Aphisak, 41, the trucker said that he was on his way to Prachinburi and was making a U-turn.

He claimed that he looked carefully and saw no oncoming traffic. He then heard a bang and realised what had happened.

The victim is the owner of a housing development for ready made property called The Wild (Baan Knockdown).

He is also the owner of a big housing design contractors' firm with operations in Chonburi and Rayong.

The trucker was taken away by the Huay Yai police and charged with negligent driving causing death.

The wife and mother of the deceased were being interviewed by police and it was understood that the victim was on his way home. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-10-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm guessing some gik in there who can't drive

"Krissada", the driver was a male, obviously this businessman.

And yes, same like elsewhere.

Merc among the most speed racers.

Edited by KhunBENQ

25 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Not if the BMW windshield had film on it.

Very true. When I went to pick up my new car in 2011 I was terrified.

Obviously a "misunderstanding". Within two days teared of and replaced.

3 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Its best to assume that everyone is out to kill you and that a vehicle waiting at a U-turn WILL pull out.

You got it :biggrin:

And then "drive a mile in his truck" and think how to do a U-turn without forcing others to stop/make way. It's just a question of enough distance to break/slow down.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You get these Mercs, BMWs, Bentley's driving crazy. New Mercs with red plates particularly bad, I'm guessing some gik in there who can't drive

You get all sorts driving too fast. People only comment negatively when it's an expensive car

8 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

You get all sorts driving too fast. People only comment negatively when it's an expensive car

not really but noticable when an expensive car drives crazy, yesterday a Bentley, driving recklessly Thepprasit Thepraya and Pratumnak, could easily of crashed

I had the tint completely removed from the windshield on our car. It came new with 30%, on the windshield! That is crazy dangerous. I could barely see at night. Managed to get completely clear nano ceramic film in the US, and brought it back here to install. Eliminated a lot of heat and UV, without limiting any visibility. I was afraid of taking out pedestrians, as the visibility was so poor before. 

Could be a reckless truck driver. Could be the young man's fault. A lot of truckers make these wide u-turns, while you are moving towards them at high speed, just assuming you will be able to slow down. Very reckless. Elsewhere in the world they would pay high fines for that. Here? The highway patrol refuses to patrol the highways, so it is likely nobody has ever been charged with reckless driving. Ever. And a lot of fools with expensive cars drive at 150kph, at night, with limited visibility. They are just asking for a catastrophe. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

The trucker may have looked and no BMW but if he was going way too fast couldn't stop in time

It could well be the case but how many accidents have been caused by cars pulling out of side streets and u-turns. My gut feel is that the truck pulled out on the BMW and didn't take into account the distance and speed the BMW was driving at. Maybe there was poor visibility on the trucks part. Unfortunately, we only have the truck drivers version of events. 

not really but noticable when an expensive car drives crazy, yesterday a Bentley, driving recklessly Thepprasit Thepraya and Pratumnak, could easily of crashed

For sure but I see more trucks driving recklessly in Thailand than I do high end cars. Obviously there are more of them 

12 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

It could well be the case but how many accidents have been caused by cars pulling out of side streets and u-turns. My gut feel is that the truck pulled out on the BMW and didn't take into account the distance and speed the BMW was driving at. Maybe there was poor visibility on the trucks part. Unfortunately, we only have the truck drivers version of events. 

In a more civilised country they could check for BMW skid marks to work out speed, sadly truck driver will get the blame guilty or not

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you're not always driving sober, and defensively, including a lot slower here at night, because all the street lights are appalling, then you're unable to save yourself from these situations.

RIP too bad he never made it to retirement to really enjoy his loot. 

Driver on the right side height of truck would made it tougher for the trucker to see.  But that is what training is all about especially for truckers and that is looking far ahead so you can position the vehicle Prior to making the U if he had done  fast lane or not would have seen the BMW. 

Same with the BMW,  I would check the BMW phone I would be surprise if he wasn't talking or texting?