800k for retirement visa has to be transferred from overseas or can be hand carried?

Turning age 50 end of March, currently a resident of Korea.

I have a Thai bank account (obtained years ago when it was easier) in which I always keep around 50k or so.

For various reasons, I  plan to hand carry US$ 10k to use for toward the THB 800k requirement on each of the 3 quick trips to Phuket I will be doing in the next few months until the end of this year.

I assume this is ok (since it's not a condo purchase where the requirement of a int'l bank transfer is clear)?

Please correct me if wrong.

Thank you!

Proof the 800k baht came from abroad to apply for a non-o visa at immigration. Immigration wants the proof from a bank. People have tried to use proof it was converted to baht as cash but it was not accepted.

If you can apply for a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate proof it came from abroad to apply the one year extension of stay.

• Like 1

ok; now ur confusing matters as before u mentioned on another thread that the 1 year does not need proof the baht came from abroad an now>>

SO  to clarify
if u get a 90 day non o aboard you only show you have 800,000 in ANY currency
than when you apply for the 1 year extension in Thailand you need proof the baht came from abroad

BUT
if u apply for the 90 day non O (convert from a tourist or visa exempt entry)  IN thailand you need proof the money came from abroad, BUT than the extension you dont need proof anything

Correct Now?

19 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

ok; now ur confusing matters as before u mentioned on another thread that the 1 year does not need proof the baht came from abroad an now>>

SO  to clarify
if u get a 90 day non o aboard you only show you have 800,000 in ANY currency
than when you apply for the 1 year extension in Thailand you need proof the baht came from abroad

BUT
if u apply for the 90 day non O (convert from a tourist or visa exempt entry)  IN thailand you need proof the money came from abroad, BUT than the extension you dont need proof anything

Correct Now?

Keep it simple.

For a non O retirement obtained inside Thailand the money must come from abroad.

For non O retirement obtained outside of Thailand there is no such requirement.

For annual extensions to a non O there is no requirement to show funds came from abroad.

Back to OP: If you are already in Thailand with funds that you bought into country in cash.

Just deposit into Thai bank.

You can then go to (example) Vientiane and obtain a non O retirement and back to Thailand and when funds have been seasoned for 2 months apply for 12 month extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

My experience was to keep withdrawal receipts from foreign bank .Declared with country origin airport before leaving,given receipts. Declared with Thai immigration when entered,given receipts.Deposited in Foreign Currency account with my local bank for one year. Baht was strong at the time so never converted. Used bank statements to satisfy immigration. Now with baht strong have gone to monthly 65000 deposits and withdrew the foreign currency. Declared the foreign currency when leaving Thailand and returning to country of origin. Depending on currency,the 800k has become a lot cheaper to maintain. But I never exchanged to Baht. Hope this helps.

Edited by STALINGRAD

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

....For a non O retirement obtained inside Thailand the money must come from abroad.

At CM Immigration last (2021) October, I converted from exempt to a Non-O and, while they could see from the bank passbook copies that the 800k had been in there for several years, there was nothing in the passbook (SCB) that reflected the funds came from abroad (the funds were deposited 10-12 years ago and the passbook CM Immigration saw only covered the last several years).

Perhaps I got a break because they could see that the funds had been there for many years and/or that they could see I had many prior extensions based on retirement and gave me a break due to covid.  Not sure.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Perhaps I got a break because they could see that the funds had been there for many years and/or that they could see I had many prior extensions based on retirement and gave me a break due to covid.  Not sure.

I was specifically dealing with OP question.

You are correct in that if the funds have been in the bank for "quite some time" the immigration officer will in the main not be concerned with asking to see transfer codes (FTT) to show funds are from abroad.

However this can be hit and miss.

Recent post where someone in same situation was told to obtain records of origin of funds even they funds had been in bank for a year +.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Just get a money trail and keep the receipts, then there can not be any awkward questions about source, and if you ever want to move it out of the country you can not be accused of earning it in country or laundering it.

That what I would do anyway but it’s your choice 

As our forum Jedi's have told you ... It has to come from a foreign origin point into a Thai bank account. Carrying it in on your person does not meet the clear, non-negotiable criteria.

Seems from the official site you must declare amounts in excess of the 20K USD. If you don't and they find it on you you'll be in a world of faeces.

I hazard a guess you'd need solid proof (written, official documents - which I cannot see how you'd ever get this at sufficient levels to satisfy Thai Customs) as to why you've got so much on you. Just telling them 'Oh its to satisfy my retirement visa 800K criteria' won't fly.

https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/bringing-currency-in-or-out-of-thailand

Edited by Tropposurfer

5 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

As our forum Jedi's have told you ... It has to come from a foreign origin point into a Thai bank account. Carrying it in on your person does not meet the clear, non-negotiable criteria.

Seems from the official site you must declare amounts in excess of the 20K USD. If you don't and they find it on you you'll be in a world of faeces.

I hazard a guess you'd need solid proof (written, official documents - which I cannot see how you'd ever get this at sufficient levels to satisfy Thai Customs) as to why you've got so much on you. Just telling them 'Oh its to satisfy my retirement visa 800K criteria' won't fly.

https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/bringing-currency-in-or-out-of-thailand

but he's not intending to bring in more than $10k at a time so he doesn't have to worry about declaring it ????

5 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

but he's not intending to bring in more than $10k at a time so he doesn't have to worry about declaring it ????

Don't really think that matters.

The OP stated...

. "I plan to hand carry US$ 10k to use for toward the THB 800k requirement...."

As pointed out to him that will not work for obtaining a non O retirement inside Thailand.

He will need to show funds came from abroad via transfer. 

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't really think that matters.

The OP stated...

. "I plan to hand carry US$ 10k to use for toward the THB 800k requirement...."

As pointed out to him that will not work for obtaining a non O retirement inside Thailand.

He will need to show funds came from abroad via transfer. 

yes, so why the scaremongering? OP seems to already be aware of the cash import rules. 

and as you pointed out he can deposit funds at presumably preferential exchange rate then go to Vientiane for the non-O. 

or maybe 2 X 45+30 visa exempts, would that work? the forex fees on US$30k might be enough to cover the expense of a border bounce at wherever is nearest to Phuket.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not about cash import rules carrying cash.

He is asking about if this "plan" works for the 800k requirement for a non O.

Answer: No 

but you already said yes, ie. the Vientiane route. OP didnt say that he wants to do it in-country, just that he doesn't want to use bank transfer method. 

17 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

OP didnt say that he wants to do it in-country, just that he doesn't want to use bank transfer method.

From the OP.....

"For various reasons, I plan to hand carry US$ 10k to use for toward the THB 800k requirement....."

If he was planning to obtain the non O outside of Thailand there wouldn't be reference to the 800k.

Perhaps the op at some stage might clarify. 

Love these threads (not) OP started tread yesterday 6am and never visited since. 

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Did you get that in GBP paper money?

My branch is small so I notified them of my intentions to allow them time to accumulate the necessary foreign paper bills. Bangkok bank charges 1% on deposits and withdrawals for USD in FCD accounts. 2% on all other currencies.

On the requirement for proof the money came from abroad ...

The reason for the requirement is that it prevents people using a one-day loan to satisfy the financial deposit requirement. If you can demonstrate that the money has been continuously in your account for several months, most immigration offices will waive the requirements for proof that the money came from abroad. Check with your local immigration office to see what their policy is on this.

As an alternative ...

If you are a South Korean national, I believe it is possible to get a letter from your embassy in Bangkok confirming that your income is greater than 65,000 baht per month. If so, you can use this as an alternative to money in the bank.

You could also enquire at the Thai embassy in Seoul whether they will issue you with a 90-day single entry visa and, if so, the requirements. In some cases, you only need to be able to show 800,000 baht in the bank anywhere to get the visa.

Edited by BritTim

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

From the OP.....

"For various reasons, I plan to hand carry US$ 10k to use for toward the THB 800k requirement....."

If he was planning to obtain the non O outside of Thailand there wouldn't be reference to the 800k.

Perhaps the op at some stage might clarify. 

Love these threads (not) OP started tread yesterday 6am and never visited since. 

thanks but I understand all of that. @BritTimhas answered my question about the mechanics of the "poof from abroad" rule.

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you can demonstrate that the money has been continuously in your account for several months, most immigration offices will waive the requirements for proof that the money came from abroad. Check with your local immigration office to see what their policy is on this.

13 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

thanks but I understand all of that. @BritTimhas answered my question about the mechanics of the "poof from abroad" rule

I basically stated same earlier.

Bye......

From my earlier post...

"You are correct in that if the funds have been in the bank for "quite some time" the immigration officer will in the main not be concerned with asking to see transfer codes (FTT) to show funds are from abroad.

Recent post where someone in same situation was told to obtain records of origin of funds even they funds had been in bank for a year +."

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I basically stated same earlier.

Bye......

From my earlier post...

"You are correct in that if the funds have been in the bank for "quite some time" the immigration officer will in the main not be concerned with asking to see transfer codes (FTT) to show funds are from abroad.

Recent post where someone in same situation was told to obtain records of origin of funds even they funds had been in bank for a year +."

sorry I missed that post, thanks for pointing it out.