Getting a Thai drivers licence for the 1st time

bbi1

Anyone here know the current requirements for getting a Thai drivers licence in Pattaya? I hold both a car & bike licence from my home country plus an international drivers permit. I'm here on a visa exempt plus I have a condo lease.

I would like to get both a car & bike licence here in Pattaya. This would be my first time getting a Thai licence.

I believe I need to get a Certificate of Residence from Immigration. I just need to bring my signed lease, correct?

Yeah condo lease to Immigration plus 1 photo. Only get 1 res cert 300 baht, they will tell you you need two, you don't just copy 1. Say you need one for motorbike only to avoid any argument.

Medical certificate about 150 baht from any clinic, on Buakhao try the one opposite Pattaya City Hospital.

Need to have passport copy incl visa page. 2 versions of everything, one for motorbike and one for car.

They will help you at Transport office

Edited by scubascuba3

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah condo lease to Immigration plus 1 photo. Only get 1 res cert 300 baht, they will tell you you need two, you don't just copy 1. Say you need one for motorbike only to avoid any argument.

Medical certificate about 150 baht from any clinic, on Buakhao try the one opposite Pattaya City Hospital.

Need to have passport copy incl visa page. 2 versions of everything, one for motorbike and one for car.

They will help you at Transport office

Ok, thanks. I've come in visa exempt and did an early 30 day extension. I presume I need to copy that page with those stamps in addition to the photo page of passport.

Edited by bbi1

7 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Ok, thanks. I've come in visa exempt and did an early 30 day extension. I presume I need to copy that page with those stamps in addition to the photo page of passport.

Yep, BTW you'll get a 2 year temporary licence as you're not on a long stay visa\extension

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I found one lady upstairs to be a bit grumpy, but a couple at the ground floor entrance were really good. Still the same?

Two are ok inside left of the door, one upstairs who used to take all the paperwork was good, stressy job though so not surprised if grumpy sometimes

On 10/20/2022 at 4:51 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Yep, BTW you'll get a 2 year temporary licence as you're not on a long stay visa\extension

Are there any written or practical driving tests that needs to be done, or since I have a licence in English and an IDP they will just issue it with the correct paperwork and fee paid?

I presume everything is issued the same day and shouldn't take more than a few hours?

Any issues in just booking a Grab or Bolt driver to take me to the Banglamung Land Transport Office and back into Pattaya City?

Edited by bbi1

11 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Are there any written or driving tests that needs to be done, or since I have a licence in English and an IDP they will just issue it with the correct paperwork and fee paid?

I presume everything is issued the same day and shouldn't take more than a few hours?

There are no driving or written tests, there are a few short simple tests. As mentioned you need one set of original documents with a second set of copies for your second license 

B6002D4F-5EB4-4BE7-BE4F-7430DA635211.thumb.jpeg.f24548d34d114f911f2e559e850ded0b.jpeg

if you have all the documents needed and arrive at the best time then not over 2 hours 

8 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Are there any written or practical driving tests that needs to be done, or since I have a licence in English and an IDP they will just issue it with the correct paperwork and fee paid?

Any issues in just booking a Grab or Bolt driver to take me to the Banglamung Land Transport Office and back into Pattaya City?

There is the braking test, depth perception test aligning 2 sticks and maybe a colour blindness test.

Book a taxi there, then maybe call them or book another when you're ready to leave, should be a couple hours.

Previously people had to book in advance online, i think this has changed back to just turning up but I'm not 100%

46 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Previously people had to book in advance online, i think this has changed back to just turning up but I'm not 100%

I think its a bit of both at the moment, getting in on the day involves turning up early, after that its booked out.

41 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Best advise I have is taking a friendly Thai to deal with the desk staff. My wife made any potential problems go away.

My Mrs doesn't want to get involved...she sorts most issues out, but dealing with these 'police' type officials, she hates them.

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

If you have home driving licence with no IDP, do you need it to be "certified" by your embassy?  That's what some websites seem to suggest.

No... there is no requirement for embassy certification of your home nations Driving licence when applying for a Thai Driving Licence. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2022 at 8:02 AM, bbi1 said:

Anyone here know the current requirements for getting a Thai drivers licence in Pattaya? I hold both a car & bike licence from my home country plus an international drivers permit. I'm here on a visa exempt plus I have a condo lease.

I would like to get both a car & bike licence here in Pattaya. This would be my first time getting a Thai licence.

I believe I need to get a Certificate of Residence from Immigration. I just need to bring my signed lease, correct?

Op you have pretty much everything in place but also need the following: 

1) Medical Certificate (from a local clinic - they know whats needed, just pop in anywhere, cost should be around 200 baht for the very rudimentary checkup). 

2) Letter of Residence - this is a potential sticking point. 

You can either get a Certificate of Residence from your local immigration, IF they issue this, this depends on individual office and if they require that you have submitted a 90 day report. 

OR, you may be able to get an Affirmation of Address letter from your Embassy, IF they issue this to someone who arrived on an Visa Exempt Entry (e.g. the British Embassy will not issue this letter unless you are on what they consider a resident visa, e.g. non-Imm... other Embassies will).

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

2) Letter of Residence - this is a potential sticking point. 

You can either get a Certificate of Residence from your local immigration, IF they issue this, this depends on individual office and if they require that you have submitted a 90 day report. 

I have heard that to get a Residence Certificate a TM30 in your name can be asked for too... and this would be an ideal time for them to fine you for not having one!

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have heard that to get a Residence Certificate a TM30 in your name can be asked for too... and this would be an ideal time for them to fine you for not having one!

Why would you not have one? And if you didn't have one, why would you be applying for something that requires one?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Why would you not have one? And if you didn't have one, why would you be applying for something that requires one?

You are simply trolling.... I have never made a TM30 for myself, and so far never needed one. Similar to a tin leg!

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

You are simply trolling.... I have never made a TM30 for myself, and so far never needed one. Similar to a tin leg!

Agreed... not every one is in a situation that requires them to submit a TM30.... 

everyone’s situation is different. 

In the past: Non-Imm O Visa - I was dealing directly with immigration at CW for my extension etc so I needed to submit a TM30 to avoid that hassle (and potential fine for failing to submit the TM30 etc).

Recently, and before Covid): S.E. Visa (Thai Elite) no need to submit a TM30 as I only ever dealt with Immigration at the airport (in and out regularly). 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Recently, and before Covid): S.E. Visa (Thai Elite) no need to submit a TM30 as I only ever dealt with Immigration at the airport (in and out regularly). 

Never ever been asked for a TM30 and I have done  a lot of Retirement Extensions....at immigration. I heard they wanted one for a COR.., which I also rarely need to do, and was concerned, but it was not mentioned. Did one for  a pal who visited me and stayed at my place... waste of time too! (Pattaya). 

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I'm not trolling at all.  You or your landlord are meant to register your address with a TM30 at some point and many procedures ask for a receipt of TM30.  That's it. ????‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Do you have to visit twice regardless of whether you are getting a completely new licence or renewing an old licence?

That kind of depends....

... theoretically its a one visit deal (new licence or renewal)...  but there are varying factors....

Such as: 

- They tell you you need an appointment and to come back (never happened)

- You are missing a document and the tell you what you are missing, you ave to go and get that then come back another day (happened once).

- You missed the last ‘round’ (or current queue is full) and they tell you to come back another day (happened once). 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm not trolling at all.  You or your landlord are meant to register your address with a TM30 at some point and many procedures ask for a receipt of TM30.  That's it. ????‍♂️

As I said, I have been here many years, and personally not needed one. I now do not have a landlord.... back when I did, I don't believe it was being enforced either. 

A TM30 is not a registration of my address..  that would be a 90 day report.

I have not been asked for one, but then again I do  not do many of the things where one is required. Like the famous 'Pink Card'... I  have not seen the need. Not been asked, and that's it until I am. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/30/2022 at 7:20 PM, BangkokReady said:

If you have home driving licence with no IDP, do you need it to be "certified" by your embassy?  That's what some websites seem to suggest.

I didn't even have an IDP when applying for Thai licence with my UK licence.

Perhaps it depends on the office.