Fake Gillette razor blades SCAM on most online stores Now! !@#$%

WaveHunter

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I bought an electric shaver for Mr DIY only a short time ago for less than 300Bt, it just would not shave at all, not even a hair.

Yeah, if you choose a fake, it needs to be a good fake. Good reviews might suggest it. I once bought something I knew was fake (SO cheap compared to the real thing) and it turned out to be pretty good. Didn't last as long as the real thing, but it could be repaired cheaply if I so chose. I've moved on by now, however. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

That's what I do. The plastic safety razor holder from 7/11. Blades come in packs and are cheap. I wash my face, then rub a few drops of virgin (?) coconut oil into my face, old fashioned shaving brush, bar of soap and a plastic mug. Each blade lasts a week+.

A man's man. I'd be the same, but I'm too clumsy to handle the blade to get it into the holder.  (cut fingers ain't cool). ????

I was a big fan of Schick disposables.. until I decided to stop shaving 5 years ago and went natural.

Like the ladies that stopped shaving their legs and armpits.   ????

Still have many...  Also have many of these Mach 3 cartridges we are discussing.

www.lazada.co.th/products/schick-xtreme-3-sensitive-disposable-razor1-count-i2422791175-s8351313866.html?click

On 10/21/2022 at 1:00 PM, herfiehandbag said:

That's what I do. The plastic safety razor holder from 7/11. Blades come in packs and are cheap. I wash my face, then rub a few drops of virgin (?) coconut oil into my face, old fashioned shaving brush, bar of soap and a plastic mug. Each blade lasts a week+.

Cheap as chips, and leaves me smelling and looking hansum - at least that is what the lady I fancy like mad who runs the local swimming pool says!

IMG20221021124856.jpg

The ultimate in cost savings, though buying the blades in bulk would be a lot cheaper. The top of the plastic razor will eventually break. Very, very mild shaver. I tried one as a travel razor (locally) once.

26 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I would never have thought of switching to a old-fashioned safety razor, which, in the long run, is even cheaper than those cheap generic throw-aways, but I'm glad I did!

The resistance to this old idea is really unbelievable.

Dad taught me on his old Gillette safety razor. Switched to high tech Trac II like everyone else when they came out to fanfare and slick marketing. Not bad, really, and easier to use. By that time aerosol shaving foam had achieved dominance among the soaps. Then, in planned obsolescence, Trac IIs started being phased out, blades scarce, in favor of ever more bladed cartridges and overpriced plastic razzmatazz. Enough was enough. 

The internet, as alternative media and sales channels, greatly facilitated the explosion of interest in traditional wetshaving and incredible growth in sales and products over the last couple of decades.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Maybe it's just me, but there is nothing worse than starting the day with an uncomfortable shave that leaves your skin feeling like <deleted>.  I was willing to spend the money for Gillette Mach-3 blades even if it is a total rip-off, but then do get scammed by counterfeits was the straw that broke the camel's back I think.

I would never have thought of switching to a old-fashioned safety razor, which, in the long run, is even cheaper than those cheap generic throw-aways, but I'm glad I did!

Safety razors have been around for over a hundred years in spite of the state-of-the-art cartridge razors with exotic names like "Mach" and "Fusion", or the $100+ electric razors that promise something they never deliver.  There must be a reason safety razors are still popular, and now I know what it is...they are superior.  Sometimes, you just can't improve on a classic!

It does not take very long to develop good shaving technique and the cost savings and shave quality will make the effort worthwhile. Get a good shaving brush and some shaving soap and it will make your morning shave even better. There are a couple of online stores based here in Thailand where you can order soap and brushes, or you can buy some when you're out of the country and bring it back. There are also YouTube videos that explain and demonstrate good shaving technique.

I use a Feather AS-D2 razor as my daily driver, but have others including vintage Gillettes.

Good luck and enjoy shaving at its best.

• Like 2

I shake my head at those wanting to turn back time.  I grew up with the double edge and was not a fan then or now.  It is not all marketing by any means - some 30 years ago had to go back in time when forgot twin shaver on trip to Pattaya and only thing available was a double edge shaver/blade.  That was a very bad week.  Am sure they is little need for 5 blade stuff but to go back to the 50's is not my idea of progress.

Edited by lopburi3

On 10/20/2022 at 1:45 PM, WaveHunter said:

I would love to find an online store that sells GENUINE Gillette replacement cartridges for my Mach3+ razor but I have been scammed twice on Lazada!  Even brick and mortar stores are selling counterfeit goods now!  If you know of a trusted online store, please let me know.

Just received a pack of original Gillette Mach 3 Turbos from here...

https://shopee.co.th/tadee.shop

on Shopee.   Normal price, perfectly normal Gillette blades that shave no differently from any others I've bought from Tesco or Tops previously.   Pack and blades are no different from the old ones.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 10/20/2022 at 1:45 PM, WaveHunter said:

I would love to find an online store that sells GENUINE Gillette replacement cartridges for my Mach3+ razor but I have been scammed twice on Lazada!  Even brick and mortar stores are selling counterfeit goods now!  If you know of a trusted online store, please let me know.

Slightly off topic, but related to Lazada all the same, and it is to do with shaving!!

I searched Lazada for a replacement head for my electric shaver (Braun series 3) and didn't go for the cheaper ones because I suspected they might be Chinese copies, so found one advertised which was just over 800 baht, and according to all the text on the site, it was a Braun replacement head, and it looked genuine.

It looked fine when it arrived, however when attached to the shaver it was absolutely useless and would have had a hard job cutting jelly, let alone shaving a day old "beard"!

So I have requested a refund, however whether I get one or not is a different matter, and the refund is on the basis that it is not an original Braun replacement, but a copy, and one that doesn't work at all (it pulled out more hairs than it cut) so I will see what transpires.

15 hours ago, BigStar said:

I shake my head at those wanting to be slaves of time. And you're merely hypocritical. You only listening to K-pop, hip hop and rap music these days? Oh. Would you only drink varietals of wine in existence since 1970? Would drinking a Cabernet turn back time for you so now you can't drink it

Kills me, these claims of hi tech modern superiority. Our cutting edge (no pun intended) techies sneered at anyone not abandoning WinXP for--Vista.???? Suggesting Win 10 owners install the convenient Classic Shell over the almost universally derided Start menu was no less than going back to prehistoric times

We seem to need all this rhetorical hyperbole. Reminds me of the old quarrel of the Ancients and the Moderns.

Some are too clumsy, too impatient, or too stubborn to get on well with DE razors. Perhaps they lack proper instruction. That's why they're now paying thru the nose for Mach 5s.????

You can still use a Trac II, but you can buy only about 7 "genuine" cartridges for the price of 100 DE blades. (We insist on genuine only here, except when it comes to jeans. With jeans, we insist on fakes--who's stupid enough to pay for genuine?) I'll save the money, thank you.

Wrong decade. You mean, 1903 - 1971? But Gillette evidently now thinks it is progress, as the company not long ago came out with a new DE razor, the King Gillette.

The "progress" is actually only about the progress of company profits. An amazing number of consumers now have decided that shaving with a DE gets the job done at a fraction of the cost, and the whole classic shaving ritual is kind of fun, even worthy of a hobby.

You obviously just know what you know, but you can search on Amazon for safety razors, shaving soaps, aftershaves, shaving brushes, shaving bowls, shaving stands, etc. to get an idea of the explosion of modern products appealing to a large market.

Well I hope you remember to extinguish the candles at night before you go to bed.

Your old way is not the be and end all of shaving. just your choice.

shave.JPG

Edited by Orinoco

I'm wondering if some of the Gillette Blue 2 disposable twin blade razors turning up on Lazada and Shopee are fake as well. The half dozen I ordered recently don't look anything like the ones I purchased in the U.S. last time I was there.

I was wrong, the Gillette FlagShip store is still on Lazada...for some reason I couldn't find it with a browserr/PC but easy to find using the Lazada mobile app.

Mach 3+ 12-pack on sale currently for 679, from 849. Decent price.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2860580917.html?spm=a1zawg.24863640.table_all.49.41464edfuutONH&spm=a2o4m.10453683.cutImages_1449346023.3

My last purchase was ~ 6 June 2022, two (2) 12-packs, 595 each. I think that was the 6/6 sale promotion.

Maybe wait for the 11/11 sale promotion?

Screenshot_20221025-100424.png

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2022 at 4:36 PM, BigStar said:

The resistance to this old idea is really unbelievable.

Dad taught me on his old Gillette safety razor. Switched to high tech Trac II like everyone else when they came out to fanfare and slick marketing. Not bad, really, and easier to use. By that time aerosol shaving foam had achieved dominance among the soaps. Then, in planned obsolescence, Trac IIs started being phased out, blades scarce, in favor of ever more bladed cartridges and overpriced plastic razzmatazz. Enough was enough. 

The internet, as alternative media and sales channels, greatly facilitated the explosion of interest in traditional wetshaving and incredible growth in sales and products over the last couple of decades.

I have to say I really hate aerosol shaving creams.  Foams and even the gel-type don't really work that well IMHO, and they often leave your skin feeling dry.  A few years ago I switched to something I think is better called "Cremo" that comes in a toothpaste-like tube. 

Not only is it more environmentally friendly, and lasts about 3 times longer than a can of aerosol shaving cream, but they use some sort of emollients that are not soap-based.  You only need a thin film on your face which is hard to believe the first time you use it, but whatever they use has such a low coefficient of friction, all you really need is a tiny bit.

Good stuff ????

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 4:15 PM, WaveHunter said:

can also provide an even better shave than any of the cartridges if you use it properly!

yeah that's what my buddies tell me but I'm too much of a klutz and cut myself to ribbons.

thanks for the heads-up about the Lazada fakes, I use the Fusion Power model and am running out of genuine blades that I brought with me from farangland. I was going to just order online here but now I'll re-think that idea.

The simple truth is that the Gillette Fusion is an amazing piece of technology that provides a quick smooth close shave in virtually no time at all.  And the Mach 3 is also extraordinary compared to the shavers of yore.

If you like to romanticize safety razors and all the processes surrounding them go ahead.  I understand there is comfort in a masculine ritual.  It is of course delusional but what the hell.

I gave up trying to find genuine cheaper Fusion and Mach 3 blades online.  It's painful but I just buy them at Boots or any supermarket.  Because they are far far better than anything else.  

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

yeah that's what my buddies tell me but I'm too much of a klutz and cut myself to ribbons.

thanks for the heads-up about the Lazada fakes, I use the Fusion Power model and am running out of genuine blades that I brought with me from farangland. I was going to just order online here but now I'll re-think that idea.

Just so you know, I was very nervous to get this safety razor, worrying about cuts and nicks, but the truth is, although I got a few nicks on the first shaves since I stupidly forgot to set the adjustable setting properly, the rest of the shaves have been great. 

I really love how this razor feels in my hand.  I sort of feel like a surgeon using it LOL!  Seriously, it has a different, more precise feeling in your hand than the Gillette cartridge razor.

I know I'm probably sounding like a "shill" with all my praises, but this Japanese razor is outstanding, and for only  1,000 THB, I'd suggest you buy one and try it out!  SInce those Fusion blades are even more expensive than the Mach-3 I used, you'd recoup your costs so fast by not having to shell out for those Fusion blades anymore!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ricklev said:

The simple truth is that the Gillette Fusion is an amazing piece of technology that provides a quick smooth close shave in virtually no time at all.  And the Mach 3 is also extraordinary compared to the shavers of yore.

If you like to romanticize safety razors and all the processes surrounding them go ahead.  I understand there is comfort in a masculine ritual.  It is of course delusional but what the hell.

I gave up trying to find genuine cheaper Fusion and Mach 3 blades online.  It's painful but I just buy them at Boots or any supermarket.  Because they are far far better than anything else.  

I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly...until I got this Japanese "Feather" razor.  The way it feels in your hand as you shave is like comparing how a BMW feels driving down a twisty road compared to a Honda.  Not that there's anything wrong with a Honda, but once you know what it feels like to drive a BMW, there's no turning back LOL!

I know Gillette has a very advanced R&D department and make state-of-the-art cartridge razors, but this Japanese Feather razor combined with their ultra-sharp blades are so much nicer than anything Gillette makes. The blades they make have been rated by numerous mens grooming review sites as the sharpest in the world, and after using it, I think they are probably correct!  It certainly was noticeably better than my GIllette Mach 3.

It actually astounded me!  The way the razor feels in my hand is so incredibly well balanced and precise, it's actually fun to shave!  In short, this is NOT your father's safety razor of yore.  it's something really unique and I love it!  As you probably know, the Japanese have a well deserved reputation for making the finest blades in the world (i.e.: Samurai swords) and so it's no surprise that these shaving blades seem to follow that tradition.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I was wrong, the Gillette FlagShip store is still on Lazada...for some reason I couldn't find it with a browserr/PC but easy to find using the Lazada mobile app.

Mach 3+ 12-pack on sale currently for 679, from 849. Decent price.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2860580917.html?spm=a1zawg.24863640.table_all.49.41464edfuutONH&spm=a2o4m.10453683.cutImages_1449346023.3

My last purchase was ~ 6 June 2022, two (2) 12-packs, 595 each. I think that was the 6/6 sale promotion.

Maybe wait for the 11/11 sale promotion?

Screenshot_20221025-100424.png

LOL!  That suspiciously looks like the same product listing for the fake one I got from Lazada.  Might just be a stock picture, but after being burned, I would never buy another Gillette product online...ever!  The fake Gillette blade scam is one of the biggest current online scams.  Just Google and you will see dozens of scam reports from all around the world!

Edited by WaveHunter

On 10/23/2022 at 6:44 PM, xylophone said:

Slightly off topic, but related to Lazada all the same, and it is to do with shaving!!

I searched Lazada for a replacement head for my electric shaver (Braun series 3) and didn't go for the cheaper ones because I suspected they might be Chinese copies, so found one advertised which was just over 800 baht, and according to all the text on the site, it was a Braun replacement head, and it looked genuine.

It looked fine when it arrived, however when attached to the shaver it was absolutely useless and would have had a hard job cutting jelly, let alone shaving a day old "beard"!

So I have requested a refund, however whether I get one or not is a different matter, and the refund is on the basis that it is not an original Braun replacement, but a copy, and one that doesn't work at all (it pulled out more hairs than it cut) so I will see what transpires.

Lazada is VERY good about settling counterfeit claims.  If you only requested a refund from the merchant and the nerchant says no, escalate it to Lazada as a complaint and you will have an almost immediate approval.  Lazada is not so good about preventing counterfeiters from selling on the site, but they sure handle a buyer's complaint without questions asked.

Also, a bit of advice for future purchases where you're nervous it might be counterfeit.  Just "Chat" the merchant and ask flat out "Is this genuine or "compatible" (friendly was to say counterfeit LOL).  If they don't reply, you can assume it is fake.

Edited by WaveHunter

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Lazada is VERY good about settling counterfeit claims.  If you only requested a refund from the merchant and the nerchant says no, escalate it to Lazada as a complaint and you will have an almost immediate approval.  Lazada is not so good about preventing counterfeiters from selling on the site, but they sure handle a buyer's complaint without questions asked.

Also, a bit of advice for future purchases where you're nervous it might be counterfeit.  Just "Chat" the merchant and ask flat out "Is this genuine or "compatible" (friendly was to say counterfeit LOL).  Some merchants will be honest enough to admit is it compatible, not genuine.  If they don't reply, you can assume it is fake.

Multi-blade cartridges do have some advantages over double edge safety razors. Carts have been extensively engineered so that it is difficult to cut oneself shaving. I think this is largely driven by product liability fears with shave quality taking a back seat.

The second advantage is related; is is possible to shave quite quickly (or with a bad hangover) without drawing blood. It is therefore possible to save a few minutes' time in the morning.

A third advantage is the ability to take cartridge razors in carry-on bags when traveling by air. DE blades need to go in checked baggage. I keep a Sensor Excel for when I travel with just carry-on.

In my opinion, multi-blade cartridges don't save enough time to justify their cost, and the quality of the shave is no better than, and arguably inferior to, that delivered by a DE razor using good technique. 

But at the end of the day it just comes down to personal preference. No big deal, really.

And for those who believe that new and modern is always better, I'll happily trade a crisp, new twenty-dollar Federal Reserve note for an old, used twenty-dollar double eagle coin.

• Haha 1