Starting a business in Thailand

Usually Thai partners are not to be trusted, as in their mind, stealing and cheating from a farang is ok, even if he/she are good friends, making you being on guard all the time and checking the till and stocks..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

How many businesses have you opened\ran?

None. I do know about half a dozen people with businesses, and I've seen the cops turn up on certain days openly accepting money. 1000 baht seems to be the going rate, I don't know what that buys.

Edited by Lacessit

Hperthetically, you first need to ensure you do all your "due dilligence". If this is a romantic relationship, you will probably be throwing your money down the drain.

In any event, get a lawyer and stitch it up tight! or be prepared to just write it off at some point.

Golden rule here: NEVER invest or spend more than you are happy to walk away from.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.

It is not "virtually impossible for foreigners to get work permits". 

Opening a business does not require a WP unless that person is actually going to be physically working in that business.

Ok...you assume the op will be a 'silent partner' in the biz which will be registered in the Thais name.

..and he will be putting zero work in it .

Yes...in this setup it can be done.

Good luck to him...he will need it.

Btw...where has he gone? ????

On 10/21/2022 at 12:12 PM, Dan O said:

Consult a lawyer and set up an LLC first and then go from there when setting up the actual business. Small pain in the butt but gives you some protection and lays out all the legal requirements 

What type of lawyer?

On 10/21/2022 at 12:59 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Nonsense, know enough very successful business owners

I personally know a few myself.... I mean, how else did I get the crazy idea of going into business here....?

Edited by racinkc1
dfgagasdfsa

On 10/22/2022 at 9:03 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.

Opening a business does not require a WP unless that person is actually going to be physically working in that business.

Do you think Siam Legal might be able to answer some questions?

6 minutes ago, racinkc1 said:
On 10/22/2022 at 9:03 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.

Expand  

Do you think Siam Legal might be able to answer some questions?

I've no experience personally with them so I don't know what they could do, bit I'd be surprised if they couldn't, though.   Why not ask them?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I've no experience personally with them so I don't know what they could do, bit I'd be surprised if they couldn't, though.   Why not ask them?

8 hours ago, Walker88 said:

If you are an owner or director of a Thai business, you do need a work permit, as well as a Non-B Business Visa.

If you are American, you can own 100% of the company, owing to the Treaty of Amity. If non-American, 49% is your limit.

You need trustworthy Thai partners and a good point-of-sales system. You need CCTV cameras for obvious reasons, including insurance.

You need to be on top of all supplier issues, and link orders with incoming supplies.

There are many licenses required for any business, so look it up depending on what sort of business you intend to run. You say 'restaurant', so that would mean alcohol, food and music license. There is also a sign tax, but if the sign contains any Thai characters, the tax is less. Good idea to get SHA+ approval, too, as you never know when the next epidemic will arrive.

For every non-Thai employed or who is a director, you must have at least 4 Thai employees. There is some slack granted if any employee is from an ASEAN country.

You need to register at DBD, provide a shareholder list, at least pretend to hold shareholder meetings, register for VAT payments, make sure your staff is on Social Security, and keep every possible receipt and record (giving copies to your accountant). To open a bank account, you will need lots of documents. Best to just ask the bank. Having more than one bank is also wise.

There is lots of bureaucracy, but not many legal issues if you follow the rules. Maybe you will get shaken down from time to time, but a payment usually suffices.

thanks for the info. These boards are becoming worthless with so much negativity. I realize there is a tax if your sign has english, as me and my partner have discussed this. There is tons of bureaucracy anywhere you go in the world. I still stand a better chance here where the economy is good and I can leverage my currency. I just contacted a law firm that specializes in foreign investment. Thanks again. 

• Like 1