Elon Musk reportedly fires top Twitter executives as he takes over company

webfact

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You expect people to know what the word "probably" means

Apparently, to you it's a get-out-jail-free card that allows you to escape any onus for calling it wrong. And what if his prediction had turned out to be correct? Would it be okay to point out that he only said "probably" so shouldn't get much credit for his prediction?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Apparently, to you it's a get-out-jail-free card that allows you to escape any onus for calling it wrong. And what if his prediction had turned out to be correct? Would it be okay to point out that he only said "probably" so shouldn't get much credit for his prediction?

Well no , if someone claims that something "probably" will or wont happened , I do realise they are making a prediction that something may or may not happen , rather than saying something definitely will or wont happen

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Especially when that person is an apparently brilliant but nonetheless whack job....

Not gonna be buying a Tesla or using Twitter anytime soon, as long as he remains in charge.

For example, among others:

"Musk was criticized for his public comments and conduct related to the COVID-19 pandemic.[343][344] He spread misinformation about the virus, including promoting a widely discredited paper on the benefits of chloroquine and claiming that COVID-19 death statistics were inflated.[345]

On March 19, 2020, Musk predicted that there would be "probably close to zero new cases in [the U.S.] by end of April".[344]Politico labeled this statement one of "the most audacious, confident, and spectacularly incorrect prognostications [of 2020]".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk#COVID-19

Then there's the storied exploits of his personal life, which would make a bad soap opera seem like classic literature in comparison.  Too much weird stuff there to even begin quoting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk#Personal_life

A lot of people who have shown genius in various fields are horrible people to deal with.  I suspect Elon is in that category.  I don't begrudge them for their contributions to advancements in science but they are people that are best kept as far away from anything else.  Einstein was a horrible person, Steve Jobs was not very nice and Elon Musk, who, by his own admission, is on the autism spectrum, isn't a nice person.

I have a friend who has  a Tesla and on a brief visit, I had the joy of being shuttled around in it.  A Tesla is a great car, it is extraordinarily safe and comfortable.  Since I've owned a Hitler-inspired VW, I think I can justify a Tesla.   

I think his talents would be better used somewhere other than Twitter, but when you have as much money and power as he has, I guess he can do what he wants, regardless of the consequences for a nation and the rest of the world.

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well no , if someone claims that something "probably" will or wont happened , I do realise they are making a prediction that something may or may not happen , rather than saying something definitely will or wont happen

Then why bother saying it all all? What does saying something may or may not happen contribute to a discussion? What can't that be said of that doesn't defy the laws of nature?  And, of course, as I pointed out, if there shouldn't be any onus for getting it wrong, then certainly there shouldn't be any credit for getting it right. And your take ignores that probably means that the odds are in favor of it happening. And when you've got the epidemiological community overwhelmingly against you, and you say something probably will happen despite that, it's clear that you should incur some disfavor. 

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Then why bother saying it all all? What does saying something may or may not happen contribute to a discussion? What can't that be said of that doesn't defy the laws of nature?  And, of course, as I pointed out, if there shouldn't be any onus for getting it wrong, then certainly there shouldn't be any credit for getting it right. And your take ignores that probably means that the odds are in favor of it happening. And when you've got the epidemiological community overwhelmingly against you, and you say something probably will happen despite that, it's clear that you should incur some disfavor. 

LOL.

If all the posts that are about "probably" never happened, there probably wouldn't be many posts left to read.

It's a forum, for people to post probably's on, not an international news organisation.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

If all the posts that are about "probably" never happened, there probably wouldn't be many posts left to read.

It's a forum, for people to post probably's on, not an international news organisation.

First off, thanks for the fake statistic.

Second, what's that got to do with whether or not someone who makes a prediction that runs counter to what the experts say, should experience some discredit?

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

First off, thanks for the fake statistic.

Second, what's that got to do with whether or not someone who makes a prediction that runs counter to what the experts say, should experience some discredit?

LOL.

The forum isn't about "what experts say" is it? I thought it was a place that we could say what we think, though we can add information from those that may be considered by some to be experts in support of our opinion.

I was referring specifically to

"Then why bother saying it all all? What does saying something may or may not happen contribute to a discussion?"

• Thanks 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

The forum isn't about "what experts say" is it? I thought it was a place that we could say what we think, though we can add information from those that may be considered by some to be experts in support of our opinion.

I was referring specifically to

"Then why bother saying it all all? What does saying something may or may not happen contribute to a discussion?"

I was referring to what Musk said. I wasn't aware that he is a member of this forum. What's his avatar?

7 hours ago, coolcarer said:

His very next tweet was “meeting a lot of cool people at twitter today”

Yes I saw the pics of those San Francisco Twitter liberals licking their new master's boots (the man who moved Tesla's headquarters out of California to Texas because the state is too woke) ????????????????

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Love It 1

9 hours ago, Adumbration said:

You are showing your ignorance with this comment.

This is standard operational procedure and has been for a long time in tech and data focused companies.

Prior notice of dismissal is never given.  Guards just walk up behind a person at their desk and tell them to log out of their computer and hand over all keys, phones or other devices.

Nothing pathetic about this behaviour.  It is sound management practice so that the outgoing employee does not copy, steal, or delete important files.

Things are probably different in the Thai dive charter industry....

Again, if they wanted to sabotage or steal you think they wouldn't have done I the day before? Or you think this came as a surprise?

This is different from other lay-offs 

No need for the swipe btw 

35 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I do not believe these executives were fired for their political leanings. In fact there are rumours it was staged and the actors were not employees. Let's see how that plays out.

As a result of Musk buying Twitter I will certainly be spending much more time there engaging in open debates where everyone has a voice, rather than platforms that censor posts based on political opinion. 

After all, without posters these platforms are worth nothing. I am sure Twitter will thrive now. I hope so.

Well done Elon, please allow free speech for both sides. Even the left deserve their voice, their opinion. Let's have open debate.

Free speech for all.

555! Do some research. 

https://www.inverse.com/article/16830-tesla-s-non-disclosure-agreements-about-defects-are-unacceptable-say-feds

13 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

No cause free speech is important. 

Apparently, Musk disagrees with you:

Elon Musk says Twitter can't become 'a free-for-all hellscape,' should be 'warm and welcoming'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2022/10/27/elon-musk-says-twitter-hellscape/10616726002/

Elon Musk plans Twitter content moderation council as questions about Trump return loom

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/28/musk-plans-twitter-content-moderation-council-as-questions-about-trump-return-loom.html

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, although they might have thought that being fired would be a distinct possibility or they may have thought that they'd be kept on, who knows

Sorry, they're not stupid.

Strange btw you're now saying it came as a surprise when earlier you said "Yes, they were connected and it probably didn't come as a surprise"

Edited by stevenl

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You just think that they knew they were going to be fired .

You are just guessing what they were thinking . 

You cannot say with any degree of certainty 

In your own words.

"Yes, they were connected and it probably didn't come as a surprise"