Thailand welcomes over 7 million foreign tourists from 1 January to 26 October 2022

webfact

MOTS  have just released their September international arrivals data - total is 1,309,115 of which 683,144 were from the ASEAN countries, just 181,027 from Europe (mainly German, UK, French and Russian) , 52,000 from the Americas.

The September monthly total is about 40% of a typical pre-Covid month, so they could be looking at 8 million total for the year. Not brilliant, but enough to stop the Immigration guys at Suvannaphuum falling asleep.

https://www.mots.go.th/news/category/656

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, vandeventer said:

The tax should be when they leave and when they fill out a questionnaire. Did you have fun? How much did you spend? Will you be coming back? If they get all 3 right and no one will, than no fee, but if they get 1 wrong. slap the fee on them.

Questionnaire is a good idea,  if only they could find someone  who can read English

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, actonion said:

Questionnaire is a good idea,  if only they could find someone  who can read English

Remember the Covid questionnaires they had you fill in at the airports on arrival? I always had to have the person at the desk fill in my info as the entire thing was in Thai? Just handed them my pink ID card and they entered the info off of it....

On 10/28/2022 at 3:45 AM, Cake Monster said:

So with a total of 3,186,186 being made up from only 5 Nations ( Malaysia, India, Lao PDR, Cambodia, and Singapore ), that means Thailand managed to attract ( read as Lure ) a Whopping 4,163,657 Tourists from the whole rest of the World.

Very impressive, so much so, they even have to count out UN Officials

Yep

I'm sorry to say but it seems as though I may have been right - tourism is simply not bouncing back in Thailand.  And honestly getting that place up and running again would be a monumental task at best. The place is nearly shuttered for tourism with just a few places open.  

It would be an interesting time of year to visit.

I"m off to Sumatra in a day and giving Thailand a wide berth.  No thank you.  

Edited: Apologies, what I"ve heard from thailand is from these forums not from first hand experience so take the places shuttered with a grain of salt!

Edited by Blumpie

21 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Yep

I'm sorry to say but it seems as though I may have been right - tourism is simply not bouncing back in Thailand.  And honestly getting that place up and running again would be a monumental task at best. The place is nearly shuttered for tourism with just a few places open.  

It would be an interesting time of year to visit.

I"m off to Sumatra in a day and giving Thailand a wide berth.  No thank you.  

Edited: Apologies, what I"ve heard from thailand is from these forums not from first hand experience so take the places shuttered with a grain of salt!

You are pretty correct on the totality of tourism being very slow in bouncing back.  All of the folks who said that those of us who posted this many times over the past year were just not correct and restated that it would beat the expectations of many by years end last year, and then again by years end this year.  In my view it will be probably 2024 before we see it tick upward.  Those folks who berated us have been pretty silent on these OPs.  Sure Bangkok's nightlife has seemed to pick back up, but then that is only on the weekends.  When we were down in Hua Hin at our house there, it was only on the weekend, and over the holiday weekends when it seemed almost back to normal, yet quiet as hell other times.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, ThailandRyan said:

To this I agree 100%.  It will be a slow recovery worldwide, but then the world as a hole is in a deep hole and still digging out.

I agree as well but I do think western Europe will be the only bright spot. It was recovering quite well this past summer ( record numbers too) and Europeans enjoyed visiting other parts of Europe due to airfare and transportation costs being comparatively low as opposed to traveling half way across the world. 

• Thumbs Up 2