Using a new agent for renewing retirement visa

Hello,

My colleague has been using an agent for 2 years. She was originally on an Ed Visa in 2020. The visa agent
secured (2) 90-day medical visas for her at the start of Covid, then a Non-O retirement visa (based on 65k
income method) when she turned 50.

The agent is charging exorbitant prices (over 45k) to renew, implying that only he can renew her visa going

forward based on his relationship with the IO, who approved her previous visas. He also said that the IO needs 
her monthly bank statements as part of the renewal process. She needs to renew her retirement visa in December. 

Will she encounter any issues at immigration if she does it herself or uses a new agent such as Thai Visa Centre 
(who only requires her bank passbook, no mention of monthly bank statements)?

Thank you in advance.

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Surely better that she does this personally rather than through an agent. It will cost her a lot less, and will put her, rather than a third party, in control of the process. 

It is correct provided the initial non O ret. extension is "straight" & not a "doctored" one. In latter case it gets difficult doing it yourself.  From ED to medical to non O retirement? ????

The agent is not renewing her visa, he is doing a retirement visa extension. Provided her financials are in order, it would be 1900 baht for the extension, 1000 baht more IIRC for a single re-entry permit ( if needed ). It's just a matter of getting all the paperwork correct.

The agent is most definitely a crook, 45 K is daylight robbery.

This is my checklist, current for Chiang Rai Immigration. Thanks, ubonjoe.

Retirement extension documents:

TM7 + 1 Passport photo. Obtain form from Immigration, blue biro.

Bank Letter.

Bank statement, 6 months duration.

Bank Book updated same day.

Copies of all pages of bank book.

Copies of last extension + front page of passport, plus all stamped pages. Ensure hidden stamps are copied, and copy foldovers.

1900 baht

Keep 1900 baht receipt, needed when collecting passport if left there.

( Blue colour )

Monday and Wednesday only.

Multiple re-entry permit:

TM8 + 1X Passport photo.

Copy of updated retirement extension.

Expect to fill out at least one new form.

Remember to paste in the photos on both forms.

Sign everything on all pages.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for your responses.

Hi Lacessit,

You mentioned "bank letter." What does that entail? Is there a name for it so my colleague can ask for it at Bangkok Bank? What is a "blue biro"? What do you mean "copy foldovers"?

Thank you.

29 minutes ago, DomD said:

You mentioned "bank letter." What does that entail?

Bank Letter is supplied by the bank.

It basically confirms you are the owner of the account and also states balance on day it is provided.

Some offices prefer if it's obtained on day of application.

In reality it should be accepted up to 7 days prior to application.

Cost 100baht. 

On 10/31/2022 at 4:24 PM, Letseng said:

It is correct provided the initial non O ret. extension is "straight" & not a "doctored" one. In latter case it gets difficult doing it yourself.  From ED to medical to non O retirement? ????

Yep, depends on where the IO with whom the agent has a "relationship" is located. If not in the office serving the area where the OP's pal resides, then she is, indeed, beholden to said agent.

Edited by OJAS

Thanks for your responses.

My colleague wants to make sure she doesn't encounter issues at Bangkok immigration (either doing it by herself, or paying a new agent). Situation:
  • Resides in Bangkok
  • 2019-2020 (Ed Visa with a Thai language school)
  • April 2020 (Covid hit, the school closed, and Ed Visa expired in April 2020)
  • April 2020 (unable to travel due to medical reasons; a visa agent secured 3 medical visas (90 days each)
  • in April, July and October 2020. Upon looking at the visa stamps on the passport, each was issued outside of Bangkok.
  • Dec. 2020 (she turned 50; the same visa agent secured the Non-O Retirement Visa from Bangkok Immigration; the immigration officer's signature is from Chaeng Wattana).
  • Dec 2021 (the same visa agent renewed Non-O Retirement Visa; the same immigration officer's signature from Chang Wattana from 2020)
  • Dec 2022 (need to renew Non-O Retirement Visa; the same visa agent again is asking for 45k Baht)

So, since the past 2 Non-O Retirement Visas were issued in Bangkok, is she is beholden to the initial agent?
Would the past 2 medical visas (issued from outside Bangkok), cause problems given that they
are already 2 years in the past? If she does not use the original visa agent and attempt to either do it herself, or use another visa agent that is less expensive, could the original visa agent, or their immigration officer friend in Bangkok, make any difficulties?

Thank you again.

That price seems to be quite typical. I have checked with 3 agents in pattaya and bangkok and they are all around 38K to 45K. Seems a rip off to me. I'm sure there must be some reasonable agents out there that charge a fair price but I have not seen one as yet.

27 minutes ago, Hugh Cow said:

That price seems to be quite typical. I have checked with 3 agents in pattaya and bangkok and they are all around 38K to 45K. Seems a rip off to me. I'm sure there must be some reasonable agents out there that charge a fair price but I have not seen one as yet.

Using agents 800k, to renew O retirment at same office  should be 13k to 15k in Pattaya.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hugh Cow said:

That price seems to be quite typical. I have checked with 3 agents in pattaya and bangkok and they are all around 38K to 45K.

OMG, I used to pay 15K for extension (not for conversion) and that did not include having any money in the bank. I remember 13K was for conversion that I did not have to pay because I already had an OA visa. A VBlog by the name of Chocolate man introduced a visa agent that charges 5K if somebody already had money or 65K income. These are are all Pattay prices.

Are they charging more to Women as it is kind of perceived norm for the repair shops in the USA to charge more to women?

Edited by Onerak
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2022 at 7:29 PM, DomD said:

Thanks all for your responses.

Hi Lacessit,

You mentioned "bank letter." What does that entail? Is there a name for it so my colleague can ask for it at Bangkok Bank? What is a "blue biro"? What do you mean "copy foldovers"?

Thank you.

The bank letter confirms your bank balance one or two days before the day of the extension, along with the bank statement. Duplication, I know. Just ask in English for a letter for the visa extension, or say jotmy sam la Immigration. Bank officials are used to foreigners asking, they probably get one or two every day.

The 90 day report is usually folded up by Immigration and stapled into the passport. It needs to be unstapled, unfolded, and photocopied. Put the original back in the passport with the date of the next report exposed. To save complications I print off the 90 day report I do online, and staple it in myself.

5 hours ago, DomD said:
Thanks for your responses.

My colleague wants to make sure she doesn't encounter issues at Bangkok immigration (either doing it by herself, or paying a new agent). Situation:
  • Resides in Bangkok
  • 2019-2020 (Ed Visa with a Thai language school)
  • April 2020 (Covid hit, the school closed, and Ed Visa expired in April 2020)
  • April 2020 (unable to travel due to medical reasons; a visa agent secured 3 medical visas (90 days each)
  • in April, July and October 2020. Upon looking at the visa stamps on the passport, each was issued outside of Bangkok.
  • Dec. 2020 (she turned 50; the same visa agent secured the Non-O Retirement Visa from Bangkok Immigration; the immigration officer's signature is from Chaeng Wattana).
  • Dec 2021 (the same visa agent renewed Non-O Retirement Visa; the same immigration officer's signature from Chang Wattana from 2020)
  • Dec 2022 (need to renew Non-O Retirement Visa; the same visa agent again is asking for 45k Baht)

So, since the past 2 Non-O Retirement Visas were issued in Bangkok, is she is beholden to the initial agent?
Would the past 2 medical visas (issued from outside Bangkok), cause problems given that they
are already 2 years in the past? If she does not use the original visa agent and attempt to either do it herself, or use another visa agent that is less expensive, could the original visa agent, or their immigration officer friend in Bangkok, make any difficulties?

Thank you again.

Given that the 90-day medical extensions which were issued outside Bangkok did not prove problematical in the context of her retirement extension applications at Chaengwattana Immigration in December 2020 and December 2021, I would have thought it highly unlikely that they will prove problematical for her next retirement extension application there next month.

IMHO your pal should ditch the agent in question and save 45,000 THB by processing the necessary paperwork for her next retirement extension application herself. Based on my experience of having successfully applied for 12 retirement extensions to date completely off my own bat without any agency assistance whatsoever, I can assure her that the whole process really isn't rocket science! IMHO the use of agents is only justified for the really complicated things in life like applying for a visa to enable your Thai partner to accompany you on a trip back to your home country or (in the case of Brits) renewing your passport from Thailand.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2022 at 5:09 PM, Lacessit said:

The agent is not renewing her visa, he is doing a retirement visa extension. Provided her financials are in order, it would be 1900 baht for the extension, 1000 baht more IIRC for a single re-entry permit ( if needed ). It's just a matter of getting all the paperwork correct.

The agent is most definitely a crook, 45 K is daylight robbery.

This is my checklist, current for Chiang Rai Immigration. Thanks, ubonjoe.

Retirement extension documents:

TM7 + 1 Passport photo. Obtain form from Immigration, blue biro.

Bank Letter.

Bank statement, 6 months duration.

Bank Book updated same day.

Copies of all pages of bank book.

Copies of last extension + front page of passport, plus all stamped pages. Ensure hidden stamps are copied, and copy foldovers.

1900 baht

Keep 1900 baht receipt, needed when collecting passport if left there.

( Blue colour )

Monday and Wednesday only.

Multiple re-entry permit:

TM8 + 1X Passport photo.

Copy of updated retirement extension.

Expect to fill out at least one new form.

Remember to paste in the photos on both forms.

Sign everything on all pages.

Chiang Mai Immigration require 12 months Bank statements , and if you are with

Bangkok Bank can take up to a week for it to come from head office.

regards worgeordie

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Chiang Mai Immigration require 12 months Bank statements , and if you are with

Bangkok Bank can take up to a week for it to come from head office.

regards worgeordie

One of several reasons I moved to Chiang Rai, CM Immigration are corrupt richardheads.

I don't even know why a bank statement is necessary, transactions are there in the savings passbook for anyone with a grain of nous to read. Doctrinaire BS.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't even know why a bank statement is necessary, transactions are there in the savings passbook for anyone with a grain of nous to read. Doctrinaire BS.

At many immigration offices, the savings book is sufficient (no needed for the 12 month statement) only if all transactions are shown in the book (no summary lines). Unfortunately, most of us are not disciplined enough to update the savings book regularly to avoid having multiple transactions replaced by summary lines.

7 hours ago, Olmate said:

Using agents 800k, to renew O retirment at same office  should be 13k to 15k in Pattaya.

Once heard an agent in Pattaya talking to a customer: all I need is your passport and "the money" (his fee) being >25k<.

They do open a Bangkok Bank account with the customer and miraculously meet financial requirements.

45k for what??

I never needed one.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Interesting post, I have heard similar from people around me and now my non-o based child also expires december. My agent now suddenly wanted to have near 40K too aside of the procedure being more complicated, causing there to be additional travel costs and a night hotel too, as it's done in BKK.

Decided to just do a few 45 day on arrivals, or get a new single non-o, extend that with 60 days, and before that time just put the 400K in the bank. After all I can just use the same money and refill it during most of the year. My son his school fees are big enough.

All that aside, if having to pay like near 40K of having to go somewhere but still lose 10K travel costs and time, it almost equals anyway what you would get in interest or returns. Very decent even at 10% with 40K on 400K. 5% on 800K still not bad.

I still not consider it impossible we leave TH over time too, and then we will need easily 400K in THB during that process too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Is anyone in this thread talking about getting a retirement visa without having the required funds in the bank? I've spoken with an agent who apparently puts the money in my account and a few weeks later I should have a visa. The cost is 35k. If anyone knows an agent who can do it cheaper I'd be happy to hear about them.

1 minute ago, SenorTashi said:

Is anyone in this thread talking about getting a retirement visa without having the required funds in the bank? I've spoken with an agent who apparently puts the money in my account and a few weeks later I should have a visa. The cost is 35k. If anyone knows an agent who can do it cheaper I'd be happy to hear about them.

That's the normal way via Bangkok bank but the costs are rarely lower, unless maybe at some lucky shop in Pattaya. 35K is usually the base visa too, you still end up paying 3-4K more for the multi-entry, and your own travel or time costs to visit them.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, BritTim said:

At many immigration offices, the savings book is sufficient (no needed for the 12 month statement) only if all transactions are shown in the book (no summary lines). Unfortunately, most of us are not disciplined enough to update the savings book regularly to avoid having multiple transactions replaced by summary lines.

The savings account which has my 800K remains untouched over the year, it's only updated with interest payments and tax debits, apart from the 1000 baht I tip in on the day I am doing the extension.

I don't think I would recognize a summary line, I assume those happen when a debit card is attached to the account.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

The savings account which has my 800K remains untouched over the year, it's only updated with interest payments and tax debits, apart from the 1000 baht I tip in on the day I am doing the extension.

I don't think I would recognize a summary line, I assume those happen when a debit card is attached to the account.

Why would you pay tax over that 800K if you had to bring it in from abroad, it would be 1 year old and tax free? Or you mean tax on the interest gain which is like zero.

To add, just typical Thai behavior once again right, they never learn. During covid the agents told me how happy they were with having a little bit business at least, now they double their prices or drop you down the floor again already.

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Why would you pay tax over that 800K if you had to bring it in from abroad, it would be 1 year old and tax free? Or you mean tax on the interest gain which is like zero.

I mean the tax on the interest, IIRC about 200 baht.

• Like 1