Southeast Asia’s largest Indian restaurant opens in Pattaya

snoop1130

10 hours ago, mikebell said:

It tastes as good coming up as it does going down (after 12 pints.)

Memories of the good old days.

5 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Don't forget the pebble dashing when being excreted!!

Been there and done that many many times.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Onerak said:

By bangladeshi community? I think they have a similar dish called chicken butter. I don't like chicken masala. Except chicken tandoori, I don't like any Indian chicken recipes. And Indian chicken curries are no no for me. Recently discovered a Bangladeshi restaurant in Sukhumvit soi 11, Bangkok. Tried a few Bangladeshi dishes with a friend (an Indian American) and I liked them. Specially the fish curry and mutton curry. He said it reminded him of his mother's cooking. 

Pattaya has too many Indian restaurants. 

Yes mostly Bangladeshis were the cooks when I was back in Scotland, some Nepalese too. 

Indian food gives me bad diarrhea. I do not know what it is that causes that. Maybe unsanitary food preparation or spoiled food. I guess the Indians are used to bad food and preparation and it does not bother them. I went to India once and took my own food but also got sicker than a dog. Never again.

I had hoped to see a post from someone who had actually been there.

The majority of Indian places are stupidly overpriced, with quality not necessarily assured.

Indian spice shops on Soi 17 off 2nd road are very well stocked and inexpensive, so there is no reason for an Indian chicken dish to be 3, 4 5 times the price of a Thai dish with same amount of meat. On par, or slightly higher would be fair.

I play for the Pattaya Indian badminton team, (honorary spot, being English but speaking one dialect having worked there),

800 seating does seem optimistic, unless they are offering something substantially better than the normal I have found locally to date.

EDIT: My team tell me it is a failed restaurant opening under a new name. Old non vintage wine in a new bottle with a new label was the comment, but none of my team view it as somewhere they would go to eat.

Tourists will probable be bussed in for commissions, but the local Indians aren't interested it seems.

• Like 1

Gotta say, those catering to the Indian market in Pattaya are raking it in big time. Those Indian discos are packed every night and they are getting ripped off big time with drink prices being approximately 100% higher than other discos on Walking Street. Imagine paying 300 baht for one beer. That's how much it costs in those Indian discos, whereas other discos are around 150-170 baht.

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Gotta say, those catering to the Indian market in Pattaya are raking it in big time. Those Indian discos are packed every night and they are getting ripped off big time with drink prices being approximately 100% higher than other discos on Walking Street. Imagine paying 300 baht for one beer. That's how much it costs in those Indian discos, whereas other discos are around 150-170 baht.

Yes, but that one 300 Baht beer has ten straws in it .

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, but that one 300 Baht beer has ten straws in it .

No, you'd be surprised. Those in the Indian discos are spending insane amounts on liquor. There are lots of beer towers being consumed. No idea how much they are, but they must be insanely priced if one standard beer is 300 baht. Not to mention, Indians apparently get charged 3-5 times more than other nationalities, if they take a girl from the disco, from what I've been told. 1k is standard for us foreigners but they have to pay 3k - 5k.

Edited by bbi1

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

No, you'd be surprised. Those in the Indian discos are spending insane amounts on liquor. There are lots of beer towers. No idea how much they are, but they must be insanely priced if one standard beer is 300 baht. Not to mention, Indians apparently get charged 3-5 times more than other nationalities, if they take a girl from the disco, from what I've been told.

What is the name of those discos ?

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What is the name of those discos ?

Jannaat, Raas, Kama, Nasha by Tony.

Are you gonna go check them out to verify? ????????

I guess Indians being denied from all the discos in the past created a great business opportunity for a few to create their own discos and rip off their own kind with outrages prices lol

Edited by bbi1

On 11/1/2022 at 1:48 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

The World's most well known and best loved Indian dish, Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in Glasgow.

Chicken tikka masala is a dish consisting of roasted marinated chicken chunks in a spiced sauce. The sauce is usually creamy and orange-coloured. The dish was popularised by cooks from South Asia living in Great Britain and is offered at restaurants around the world

13 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Chicken tikka masala is a dish consisting of roasted marinated chicken chunks in a spiced sauce. The sauce is usually creamy and orange-coloured. The dish was popularised by cooks from South Asia living in Great Britain and is offered at restaurants around the world

And a delicious British classic dish it is!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bbi1 said:

So what are you saying? These places are drawing in the wealthier Indians who don't mind, nay want to be seen spending a lot? The average Indian we see appears to be actively avoiding spending, more in favour of the famous 'zero' they created. In the disco, do they really buy many of these 300 baht beers? When I see them out I do occasionally see those who do not mind spending, but more generally you can see they are actively minimizing spending. A beer will sit untouched, or there is one plate of food and 4 hangers on taking up table space. 

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So what are you saying? These places are drawing in the wealthier Indians who don't mind, nay want to be seen spending a lot? The average Indian we see appears to be actively avoiding spending, more in favour of the famous 'zero' they created. In the disco, do they really buy many of these 300 baht beers? When I see them out I do occasionally see those who do not mind spending, but more generally you can see they are actively minimizing spending. A beer will sit untouched, or there is one plate of food and 4 hangers on taking up table space. 

I guess it draws wealthier Indians or those who don't mind spending on holidays. I believe Indians only get 15 days VOA here so they are getting the most of their 15 days. No idea if they buy many 300 baht beers, but personally I wouldn't be too keen buying more than one beer at 300 baht. I struggle to get my head around even buying one beer for 300 baht knowing that it's 100% overpriced compared to other discos.

16 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I guess it draws wealthier Indians or those who don't mind spending on holidays. I believe Indians only get 15 days VOA here so they are getting the most of their 15 days. No idea if they buy many 300 baht beers, but personally I wouldn't be too keen buying more than one beer at 300 baht. I struggle to get my head around even buying one beer for 300 baht knowing that it's 100% overpriced compared to other discos.

Thank heavens I am old and would rather go to the dentist than a disco. ????

On 11/2/2022 at 1:49 AM, bobbin said:

I did read somewhere that many, if not most, Indian restaurants in the UK are run by Bangladeshis. I don't recall if any explanation for that was given.

And while homegrown (UK) chicken tikka masala  may be the most popular Indian dish in the UK, I doubt that would be true in India.

I really wish that Indian restaurants were less expensive here, as I'm not a fan of most Thai food. I know that Thai food is very popular in the West, as is Indian food, but I prefer Indian.

Unfortunately, The Indian restaurants in Pattaya are too expensive, relatively speaking.

Brick Lane in Londons east end is known as Bangla Town. 90 percent of Restaurants are Bengali owned and run