What is the biggest mistake in life ?

Social Media

4 hours ago, seedy said:

For those who have posted above what they THINK they know about Covid vaccines, this makes interesting reading.

https://ebm.bmj.com/content/27/4/199

Bottom line - we (the worlds population) were not made aware of data which would have allowed an informed choice.

And this data is still not available.

Well, this is what I read:  "Although progress has been made over the past decades in clinical trial transparency, and there are some successes for COVID-19 vaccines, there is still much room for improvement."

3 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Well, this is what I read:  "Although progress has been made over the past decades in clinical trial transparency, and there are some successes for COVID-19 vaccines, there is still much room for improvement."

There is room for improvement in all things medical not just vaccines.

3 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

Living the way society tells you to.

Work hard, be docile, forget who you are, get married, have children and shut it...

Charles Bukowski talked wonderfully about this.

Thank you so much for introducing me to a new voice. 

Which of his books would you recommend a first time reader? 

• Like 1

The biggest mistake in life is our unwillingness to fully understand the integral importance of Entropy which affects us every moment of our existence. 

Above all things, it is Entropy which is the Supreme Ruler of the universe, and us. 

Our inability to fully comprehend the concept and reality of Entropy, and its implications, is the single factor which has caused so much grief to us, and humanity as a whole, throughout millenia. 

True peace of mind can only happen when we fully comprehend the immutable Law of Entropy which rules all things, from the beginning of time unto eternity. 

Only after we come to terms with the Second Law of Thermodynamics can this truth set us free to live together like brothers, harmoniously. 

Trust me. 

GammaG

Sometimes I wonder why there is so much contention in the world. 

Why can't there be more concensus instead of division between us. 

And this is why I believe that it is a grave mistake not to have a fundamental foundational belief from which more common concensus among us may grow, hopefully helping us to see ourselves as sharing the same beginnings and the same ultimate end, free of religious, metaphysical, and philosophical divide. 

At the very least, our common understanding of Entropy might tie us together in a way that no religion can. 

Some have said that we are stardust. 

But, given enough time, say 10 raised to the power of 1000, what will become of this stardust, when there is no time? 

The answer is that our very souls contained in this stardust will finally evaporate into nothingness. 

And then, what is left of our souls will become absolutely free. There will be no light, no photons, no particles, and no corporealiality. 

We will be free at last. 

The only Ruler of the Universe still standing will be Entropy and her helper, the second law of thermodynamics. 

The biggest mistake we make in life is when we refuse to recognize basic science. 

Science is our friend. 

We exist today, all 8 billion of us, only through the miracle of science. 

Don't make the mistake of suddenly denying science at this late date, please. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Henryford said:

Getting married

Agree a million %.

Every other mistake pales into insignificance when compared with that mistake.

I include living together as well, given the law in my country makes no distinction between when giving her the goodies after splitting up.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

15 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Not sure I can narrow it down to any one thing.  But if you know you're going to die tomorrow, could you say that you've lived a good life?  If the answer is "yes," then you've done alright. 

Hand on heart I can say I lived a "good" life, but IMO I'd have done better being not so good.

Can't sleep with good deeds.

12 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Can't even trust yourself.

True. I have probably done more to sabotage myself that everyone else put together- stupid decisions to live with/ marry women being among the biggest mistakes in my life, and less high but still a major mistake was choosing to do a job that sucked and paid a pittance.

Below that was "lending" a large amount of money to a "friend"- lost both the money and the friend.

8 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

Living the way society tells you to.

Work hard, be docile, forget who you are, get married, have children and shut it...

Charles Bukowski talked wonderfully about this.

I've never lived according to society dictats except for the 2 brief forays into living with and married to a female ( more like the harridans from hell once they got me hooked and showed their true selves ).

There is a price to pay by not treading the well worn path though, and it's not an easy life.

Biggest mistake is dwelling on mistakes and regretting that you didn't avoid them by making a different choice.

The truth is that we don't make choices or decisions.

We do what we do because a myriad influences act upon us from the moment we are born and form our personal history, which compels us to do what we do.

You did the only thing you could do at the time you did it, because it wasn't in your power to do anything else.

You had to do what you did.......to become what you became.

The "successful" and the "unsuccessful" never made the choice/decision to be the one or the other.

Just enjoy the ride and remember that we are all heading to the same destination......there are no prizes for being first one there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

We do what we do because a myriad influences act upon us from the moment we are born and form our personal history, which compels us to do what we do.

I can only disagree.

I agonized for months as to whether I should propose or not. Asked a friend, agonized more.

I was by no means "compelled" to do so.

Perhaps I miss a nuance in your post.

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

You did the only thing you could do at the time you did it, because it wasn't in your power to do anything else.

Disagree. You ALWAYS have a choice.

I was brought up a Catholic - was an altar boy - but I choose to cast that aside as a steaming pile of bull flop.

Been a biker all my life. Never subscribed to the Status Quo.

Always lived life on my terms. And paid for the consequences of my actions when "Society" deemed them 'unsuitable'

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

Biggest mistake is dwelling on mistakes and regretting that you didn't avoid them by making a different choice.

The truth is that we don't make choices or decisions.

You had to do what you did.......to become what you became.

The "successful" and the "unsuccessful" never made the choice/decision to be the one or the other.

Just enjoy the ride and remember that we are all heading to the same destination......there are no prizes for being first one there.

I think you have 2 choices most of the time. You pick the best option, hope for best.

Ive had a great life, probably too good. Made me too soft.

But you cant change 5 years ago or even yesterday. You control today only. 

10 hours ago, Grecian said:

Thank you so much for introducing me to a new voice. 

Which of his books would you recommend a first time reader? 

Charles Bukowski was a prolific underground writer who used his poetry and prose to depict the depravity of urban life and the downtrodden in American society. A cult hero, Bukowski relied on experience, emotion, and imagination in his work, using direct language and violent and sexual imagery.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

True. I have probably done more to sabotage myself that everyone else put together- stupid decisions to live with/ marry women being among the biggest mistakes in my life, and less high but still a major mistake was choosing to do a job that sucked and paid a pittance.

Below that was "lending" a large amount of money to a "friend"- lost both the money and the friend.

Appreciate the honesty, but you shouldn't keep beating yourself up about past mistakes.  You know what they say, you learn much more from failure than success.  You can't change the past.  Perhaps that's a big mistake--dwelling on the past. 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Should the Danes apologise to the British for raiding and killing, their forebears, or the French apologise to the British for treating the Saxons badly, the English to the Celts in Ireland, Wales and Scotland, etc?

Im sure you spout thatsame tripe to your maori mates..... Right?? 

53 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Appreciate the honesty, but you shouldn't keep beating yourself up about past mistakes.  You know what they say, you learn much more from failure than success.  You can't change the past.  Perhaps that's a big mistake--dwelling on the past. 

I agree 100%, but call it a mental defect if you wish, I am unable to simply ignore the past, so cursed to relive it.

I find this forum is a good way to forget about it for a while, which is one reason I spend far too much time on it.

If not on here, dvd movies work too, so I watch a great many. Never just lie around sunbathing as that lets the memories run rampant. Need to be constantly doing something, anything.

• Thumbs Up 1