Easing of Thai Property Ownership Attracts Wealthy International Buyers

webfact

Just now, khunPer said:

To my knowledge an investor visa has been available for quite some time, where investing 40 million baht gave access to foreign ownership of 1 rai of land – how many have actually used that possibility over the years...????

Yes it has been on the books for quite a while actually, and the only ones I know who took advantage of it were people who set up businesses here in the country.

• Thanks 1

Whoever came up with this scheme is dreaming in my point of view as I'm doubtful hardly anybody with that kind of money to invest would invest it here in Thailand.  If you've got a million+ US dollars to invest, you probably didn't get there by being financially foolish.  And agree to lock it up for "x" number of years? Additionally financially dumb. 

Who does the scheme benefit?  Well, of course, the wealthy Thais who own almost all the land within the sectors where the plan will apply.  And, should the scheme cause property prices to rise, again the wealthy get the benefit (and the average Thai is even more unlikely to ever be a landowner). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes it has been on the books for quite a while actually, and the only ones I know who took advantage of it were people who set up businesses here in the country.

But for business you also had some possibilities for land ownership within BOI-rules.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 million baht equals around $1 million dollars these days, and if you only need to invest that amount within 3 years - that's even less than that. So it could attract many foreign investors, considering the fact that the Thai baht is trading to a massive discount relative to the greenback. 

Obviously, there's much more details to be known before this get's approved but kinda gives u a gist of how much you need to start craving into the thai real estate market.

1 hour ago, racket said:

40 million baht equals around $1 million dollars these days, and if you only need to invest that amount within 3 years - that's even less than that. So it could attract many foreign investors, considering the fact that the Thai baht is trading to a massive discount relative to the greenback. 

Obviously, there's much more details to be known before this get's approved but kinda gives u a gist of how much you need to start craving into the thai real estate market.

But why would you bother?  There are much better investment opportunities in many other countries that would arguably give you a much better return on property , the UK market is one such,  as are many locations in the US, where protective laws are much stronger and there is much less exposure to fraud and double dealing. I would not 'invest' a penny more than I have to here.   

3 hours ago, CMBob said:

(and the average Thai is even more unlikely to ever be a landowner). 

Virtually all the Thai property owners I've ever met, acquired their property/land from family, owned in the family, from many, many decades past. Would be interesting to know the figure on actual new purchases of land such as the 1 Rai (amount proposed for foriegners) for self building by Thais. This of course, excepting the purchase of moo baans and condos. Very few I suggest.

• Like 1

If I had well over $1 mill USD, TH wouldn't be on my short list to live.

... off topic;  so many Thais still waiting to be granted the land they've worked for generations.  Some with no electric or running water.

Others with paperwork, don't even have Chanotes yet.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

But why would you bother?  There are much better investment opportunities in many other countries that would arguably give you a much better return on property , the UK market is one such,  as are many locations in the US, where protective laws are much stronger and there is much less exposure to fraud and double dealing. I would not 'invest' a penny more than I have to here.   

Who wants to live in the UK? The country is a garbage hole if u ask me. Thailand is cheap and lots of more things are attractive if you choose wisely. Europe is done, but South America maybe. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, racket said:

Who wants to live in the UK? The country is a garbage hole if u ask me. Thailand is cheap and lots of more things are attractive if you choose wisely. Europe is done, but South America maybe. 

I believe it depends on where in the UK you are thinking of. Some areas are very pleasant. Probably beyond most of our means though. Have you actually been to many cities in South America where I assure you they take being a garbage hole to further extremes. 

1 hour ago, racket said:

I never said live, I said invest 

• Haha 1

That's the tip of the iceberg. Maybe 75% of my non-Thai friends own land through a juristic Thai company as the present law does not allow foreign ownership.

If married, the non-Thai signs away all rights to the ownership of the land or the financial aspect tied up in the land.

The nice thing about a juristic Thai ownership is, if you sell the property, then you dont touch the ownership of the land but the ownership of the company only. New shareholders and a new board - a few thousand Baht only.
Transferring the ownership of the land costs 6.6% of the value assessed by Somchai behind the desk at the Land Department, if held more than a few years (5 or 10 years?) then the transfer tag drops to half. This, of course, if Somchai is not at the receiving end of a little brown manila envelope. 

And the juristic Thai set-up requires 51% Thai ownership and three shareholders. You circumvent legally by getting a lawyer to set up three Thai companies owning each other. Once everything is established through staff of the law firm, they transfer the shares to the other companies. Company A has B and C as shareholders as well, company B has A and C .... etc. 
You close three books at the end of the year, a worthwhile expense for controlling your land without the interference of nobody. 

On 11/3/2022 at 8:33 AM, jacko45k said:

I believe it depends on where in the UK you are thinking of. Some areas are very pleasant. Probably beyond most of our means though. Have you actually been to many cities in South America where I assure you they take being a garbage hole to further extremes. 

The UK is bankrupt with a collapsing currency and an unstable political situation, the country's national debt has skyrocketed awaiting further austerities by the UK government with higher taxes in the years ahead. Currently, the UK is in a recession. $1 million ain't getting you anything in the UK considering its overinflated living standards. Most people want to get the heck out of the UK. It's an unfortunate truth.

With respect to South America, I said "maybe". Think of places like Uruguay, Chile or Panama. There are also some attractive places in Mexico, but I would disregard Mexico as a safe country to live in, for now.  There are plenty of choices and value if you want to invest in this emerging continent. 

Now, the main reason why I think Thailand is loosening their foreign land ownership is due to the depreciation of the Baht. So, by opening up the country to foreign investments could help support the baht long-term. Fiscally, the country is doing fine and economic growth is here to stay. 

If you have $1 million of cash (~38 million baht) sitting around, now is the time to deploy it. It's naive to say you ain't getting much of it in Thailand, because in reality you are. 

Edited by racket
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 8:33 AM, jacko45k said:

I have been to SA a few times, I would say it compares to SE Asia as far as garbage goes.  Definitely more dangerous.  If not for that it would be hands down a better destination by miles.

Edited by Gknrd