What Would You Do?

NoshowJones

Yesterday I was riding home on the hard shoulder up the 117 highway when I saw this case lying on the 1st lane with the traffic driving round it. I stopped, picked it up, it was heavy, so I strapped it up on the back seat and continued on my journey.

I was thinking about what to do with it when I got home, obviously opening it up and seeing if there was any sort of ID so I could get it returned to the owner.

A few Ks up the road I saw a truck sitting there with the hazzard lights on, and a girl with a baby looking at the traffic. I stopped and she saw the case on my bike and I knew it was hers.

What would you have done if that girl with the truck wasn't there? What if there was a fair amount of money in it? I know I would not have taken it to the police with the money in it for obvious reasons, so what would you have done?

I have found money in the past and handed it in at the police station back in the UK, I even found a credit card the last time I was in the UK and took it to the bank. If you found a large amount of money with no ID on it while in a taxi or a bus, or even lying on the pavement. Would you take it to the police here in Thailand, or handed it to the taxi or bus driver?

Why did you pick it up?

Let's say there would be a case with a lot of money. And let's say it would belong to criminals. And maybe someone saw that farang near that case. And then?

What would you tell the criminal gang leader if he tells you that was his money, and you shouldn't have touched it?

I think sometimes it's the best not to get involved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why did you pick it up?

Let's say there would be a case with a lot of money. And let's say it would belong to criminals. And maybe someone saw that farang near that case. And then?

What would you tell the criminal gang leader if he tells you that was his money, and you shouldn't have touched it?

I very much doubt that a case full of money would be put in a place where it could fall off a vehicle.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I very much doubt that a case full of money would be put in a place where it could fall off a vehicle.

Maybe criminals running away from the police and throwing a case to the side. Or maybe I just saw too many movies.

It doesn't change anything about the principle: If you make drama out of the question what to do with it then just don't pick it up!

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe criminals running away from the police and throwing a case to the side. Or maybe I just saw too many movies.

It doesn't change anything about the principle: If you make drama out of the question what to do with it then just don't pick it up!

Saw a wallet on the side of the road picked it up gave to the Mrs and her asking around a guy came to pick up his wallet from the house it had been stolen.

Just a small amount of money was taken and the cards left so probably kids. 

I do the same if it were a case. 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I recall at least 2 movies with that theme. It did not end well. Also reminds me of when I tried  to pick up something in a night club once. It was live, lithe and unfortunately  attached to a guy that was a cross breed of Al Capone and Reggie Kray.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why did you pick it up?

When I saw that case it looked like it was only a matter of time before it was hit and everything in it destroyed. I thought I would do a good turn for somebody and rescue it. 99.9% chance it had nothing to do with criminality.

Keep on going.

To many dishonest Thais for me to care about getting involved in that.

Plus every car that passes you when you mess with it, has you on there Dash cam.

Ps,  if the misses was with me would have stopped.

let her deal with it.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 6:11 PM, possum1931 said:

When I saw that case it looked like it was only a matter of time before it was hit and everything in it destroyed. I thought I would do a good turn for somebody and rescue it. 99.9% chance it had nothing to do with criminality.

In that situation I think I'd move it to the side of the road and leave it where it could be seen if the owners came back for it.

It's not like money on the ground, which if small goes in my pocket ( never found more than $5 ) if no one around.

If the case was heavy, I'd be thinking drugs, and no wish to be seen taking that.

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In that situation I think I'd move it to the side of the road and leave it where it could be seen if the owners came back for it.

It's not like money on the ground, which if small goes in my pocket ( never found more than $5 ) if no one around.

If the case was heavy, I'd be thinking drugs, and no wish to be seen taking that.

The case was very heavy, but as I said I would have taken it home and let the wife decide.

Many many years ago in the UK, my BL found a wallet with 50 pounds inside, he took it to the police station and was told if not claimed in 3 months its yours, at the end of 3 months, of he went to the cops to claim his prize, ''sorry sir the owner came in yesterday '' ????

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Many many years ago in the UK, my BL found a wallet with 50 pounds inside, he took it to the police station and was told if not claimed in 3 months its yours, at the end of 3 months, of he went to the cops to claim his prize, ''sorry sir the owner came in yesterday '' ????

Unlucky it wasnt February

On 11/2/2022 at 4:36 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I'd tell them Gottfrid picked it up and he’s British !!! :hit-the-fan:

Yeah, I admit. It was me. But, didn´t we talk about this Richard. You got half, and you promised to be quiet. ???? 

See, I admit. Now I only get to suffer half as long. ????

My local train station in the 90's at Balaclava is uplifted off the street and there was a dirt area underneath. Someone found $200,000 in a drum under the station. Took it to the police. Made the news. A walk from where I lived. A week later someone looked for more and found more money - $450,000 in total. Apparently they were allowed to keep it. Should have looked after the first one. Or just crims cleaning their money. Hiding it and finding it. 

Big finds of the past (theage.com.au)

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

My local train station in the 90's at Balaclava is uplifted off the street and there was a dirt area underneath. Someone found $200,000 in a drum under the station. Took it to the police. Made the news. A walk from where I lived. A week later someone looked for more and found more money - $450,000 in total. Apparently they were allowed to keep it. Should have looked after the first one. Or just crims cleaning their money. Hiding it and finding it. 

Big finds of the past (theage.com.au)

You go look?