Biden suggests voting for Republicans is a threat to democracy

onthedarkside

6 minutes ago, dotcalm said:

I think by now it should be obvious the real concern here and likely anywhere rational thought prevails is that the threat to democracy (whatever bidens interpretation of democracy is) is just a distraction from the real issues plaguing everyday Americans on a daily basis and nothing more than a desperate Democratic election tactic that has backfired in humiliating fashion for them and their supporters.

If all was so great with Biden and his admin and his policies there would be no need for this distraction however benign and feeble it is and it is going to cost the democrats the midterms, and likely both chambers. They (democrats) have faltered and failed massively by attacking, criticizing millions of Americans as semi facists and being threats to democracy. This is quite remarkable and will be such a blemish for the democratic party, written in history and a sad day for democracy  and absolute humiliation for the Biden legacy. I never thought I would see this unfold in dramatic fashion like this all for hatred of Trump and MAGA supporters. 

Unbelievable.

Funny thing:  You could replace the word Biden with Trump and you would have had a perfect description of things in 2018.

On 11/3/2022 at 6:34 PM, Hanaguma said:

Well, I guess that means that it is not a "historically top issue" among voters then, doesn't it? Sadly the president is tone deaf about what people care about- inflation, the economy, the border, and crime.  It is a big part of the reason that the Democrats will be shellacked next week in the midterms.

Always dangerous to assume your priorities are the same as those of the electorate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Always dangerous to assume your priorities are the same as those of the electorate.

Actually the polling confirmed that those issues were important, but people didn't vote on them. On that I was wrong.  Seems that the difference this time around was independent voters. Traditionally they lean towards the party OUT of power- the Democrats in 2018, the GOP in 2014, etc by a substantial margin. This time around their vote was basically split 50/50.  As to why that anomaly happened, I can only think of the ever looming Bad Orange Man and his shadow.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Actually the polling confirmed that those issues were important, but people didn't vote on them. On that I was wrong.  Seems that the difference this time around was independent voters. Traditionally they lean towards the party OUT of power- the Democrats in 2018, the GOP in 2014, etc by a substantial margin. This time around their vote was basically split 50/50.  As to why that anomaly happened, I can only think of the ever looming Bad Orange Man and his shadow.  

But despite the result you still don't attribute it to the GOP being seen as a threat to democracy as that's certainly how many people saw it. 

Your previous assertions that all people care about is inflation, jobs/economy, gun violence, abortion, immigration and climate might also hold true, so perhaps they also think the Dems are the best party to navigate these subjects and I would agree since the GOP have no solutions to any of these issues other than the usual tired, old, ineffectual nonsense which has been proven time and time again not to work.

Throw in a deranged 'Orange Man' and a bunch of MAGA types who literally won't believe what they see with their own eyes and the results really aren't any surprise at all.   

On 11/8/2022 at 1:06 AM, dotcalm said:

Nov 8, ....NOV 8,  the big reset.

Get on with it. It's over for the democratic party, should be obvious to you by now.

You can only refer to 2020, but 2024 is for the big boys. Dems need a miracle to stay in the game now. 

If you and yours are content to dwell on 2020 it's your loss. Trump MAGA is moving on, the democratic party is stagnant, mired in "who we got now...Mayor Pete" syndrome.

Scary place to be if you are Biden supporter, but as expected.

You might want to come up with another name for the 2002 election. How about the "small beer"? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, dotcalm said:

Nov 8, ....NOV 8,  the big reset.

Get on with it. It's over for the democratic party, should be obvious to you by now.

You can only refer to 2020, but 2024 is for the big boys. Dems need a miracle to stay in the game now. 

If you and yours are content to dwell on 2020 it's your loss. Trump MAGA is moving on, the democratic party is stagnant, mired in "who we got now...Mayor Pete" syndrome.

Scary place to be if you are Biden supporter, but as expected.

dotcalm seems to have gone quiet.  I think he's suffering the hangover that comes from premature gloating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, candide said:

Finally, it seems the old fox has been right to strees the risk for democracy!

It seems that 40 years experience in politics matters. Trump campaigned on being the outsider who would drain the swamp. Sounds a bit ironical now.

'Donald will burn everything down' if Republicans turn their backs on him

During an appearance on MSNBC on Sunday morning, Donald Trump's niece, Mary Trump, warned that her uncle has never been more dangerous than now after the midterm election failure by the GOP was blamed on him.

More to the point, she said he has become a danger to the GOP.

Speaking with host Ali Velshi, she went on to say that the danger comes from her uncle's fears of becoming "irrelevant."

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-burn-everything-down/

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, candide said:

Finally, it seems the old fox has been right to stress the risk for democracy!

Indeed. But this was an important battle won to save American democracy, but it's not the entire war. The Trumpist fascist MAGA side is still at it. The struggle is not over. Trumpism has NOTHING to do with regular republican values.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

It seems that 40 years experience in politics matters. Trump campaigned on being the outsider who would drain the swamp. Sounds a bit ironical now.

'Donald will burn everything down' if Republicans turn their backs on him

During an appearance on MSNBC on Sunday morning, Donald Trump's niece, Mary Trump, warned that her uncle has never been more dangerous than now after the midterm election failure by the GOP was blamed on him.

More to the point, she said he has become a danger to the GOP.

Speaking with host Ali Velshi, she went on to say that the danger comes from her uncle's fears of becoming "irrelevant."

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-burn-everything-down/

In a rare moment, I agree that Trump is now the biggest danger to the GOP, but only if they let him divide them.

As for Trump and the reason he was elected, the Dems and those GOP that hated him united to destroy him. They did a good job on that, and the reason he was elected has been, apparently, forgotten.

I'm sorry he was unable to "drain the swamp", but I fear the swamp has become too powerful to be eliminated. Eisenhower should have included a reference to that along with his warning about the military industrial complex.

Trump was first elected based on white resentment.

His original motivation was not to actually win but to boost the value of his brand. 

After he won, it turned out he loved the POWER of the office and starting actively flirting with being a dictactor.

That peaked with the coup attempt and failure to ever concede that he lost and fueling the Big Lie and endless nutty conspiracy theories.

It's always about him as he's a narcissist. 

He thinks his base supporters are morons.

He demands loyalty but eventually throws everyone under the bus. 

He always wanted the approval of elites and of course never got it. 

His main motivation to run now is that he falsely thinks it will shield him from indictment. It won't but if he's elected again, it will. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm sorry he was unable to "drain the swamp", but I fear the swamp has become too powerful to be eliminated. 

Or it didn't exist in the first place.

You have been a fan of Trump for a very long time (I think more to do with the fact you think he was being bullied and you don't like bullies) but time has shown that it was in fact him that was the problem rather than any ficticous 'swamp' he sold you.

The bigger picture is there has been no POTUS in living memory who has tried more to undermine democracy than the Orange One and this alone should be the only reason you should choose to not support him. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Trump was first elected based on white resentment.

His original motivation was not to actually win but to boost the value of his brand. 

After he won, it turned out he loved the POWER of the office and starting actively flirting with being a dictactor.

That peaked with the coup attempt and failure to ever concede that he lost and fueling the Big Lie and endless nutty conspiracy theories.

It's always about him as he's a narcissist. 

He thinks his base supporters are morons.

He demands loyalty but eventually throws everyone under the bus. 

He always wanted the approval of elites and of course never got it. 

His main motivation to run now is that he falsely thinks it will shield him from indictment. It won't but if he's elected again, it will. 

I agree with everything that your say except for the "moron" part which I think is too harsh.

A lot of his supporters were not college educated. The middle-class in their view had more support from the Govt. Hence the GOP's attack on Biden's college loan forgiveness program to garner their votes.

They had poor social services and poor health support, which I may suggest is one of the worst in the world even though Obama tried hard to change that.

Trump promised he would rock the boat for them.

It's paradoxical that they still supported him when he did little to improve their lot and mainly enriched himself and the big corporations with massive tax cuts. He even failed to produce a health plan which he had always promised.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I agree with everything that your say except for the "moron" part which I think is too harsh.

A lot of his supporters were not college educated. The middle-class in their view had more support from the Govt. Hence the GOP's attack on Biden's college loan forgiveness program to garner their votes.

They had poor social services and poor health support, which I may suggest is one of the worst in the world even though Obama tried hard to change that.

It's paradoxical that they still supported him when he did little to improve their lot and mainly enriched himself and the big corporations with massive tax cuts. He even failed to produce a health plan which he had always promised.

In an interview with the Washington Post before he took office, he said his health care plan would be ready in a couple of days. At any rate, Republicans have given up trying to get rid of the plan. In fact, it's so popular that in every red state that put up a referendum stipulating adoption of its Medicaid provision, it won.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 4:37 PM, onthedarkside said:

President Biden urged Democrats on Wednesday to show up at the polls during next week's midterm elections or "allow the dark forces that thirst for power" to chip away at American democracy. 

How utterly hypocritical. Get Trump back in and have world peace and US great again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Get Trump back in and have world peace and US great again. 

He has not known how to start a war, that's obviously why.  To get a world peace, wouldn't be better to engage a president who is decorated by a Nobel Peace Prize? Couldn't he be better for the world peace?

29 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I think It's also about power and influence. He gave these people, who had no power and influence in their life, the sentiment that they had a political power, and not only the elite. They have been able to influence political themes and promote their beliefs, whatever <deleted> it may have been, they have been kingmaker at primary elections, etc... of course, they have been often following instructions and even been scammed, but it doesn't really matter to them.

Even if Trump leaves, they will want to keep that influence.

• Like 2