Leaving and going back to thailand (4th time this year)

Hello Folks,

I am staying in Thailand for tourism purposes.  (My permanent stay is in germany)

I came in April 2022, stayed ONE MONTH and went back home .

I cameback in July 2022, stayed ONE MONTH and went back home.

I cameback In September 2022, stayed ONE month and extended my tourist visa for another month (SO now I am basically staying 2 months this time).

In 10 days my visa will expire and I don't want to go back to Europe, I'd  rather stay here.  Can I go to Kuala lampur stay there 2 days and go back to thailand (get the 45 days visa entry) ? 

Will I have any issues doing this ?

Like I said, I am only doing tourism activity .

Thank you

Do a border bounce and reenter visa exempt 45 days plus 30 day extension.

You could even do that twice.

As 45 day visa exempt is available till end of March..

Better option that exit/entry via air 

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Do a border bounce and reenter visa exempt 45 days plus 30 day extension 

I am in Puhket, so going to malaysia stay 1 night and comeback is a good option right?

I mean legally, everything is ok right?

Edited by adrianc

1 minute ago, adrianc said:

I am in Puhket, so going to malaysia stay 1 night and comeback is a good option right?

I mean legally, everything is ok right?

No problem.

Some border crossing require you to stay overnight.

It's all legal.

You are allowed 2 visa exempt entries via land per calendar year.

Flying in should still hopefully be OK. However, you are approaching the point where you would be well advised to use land crossings to enter Thailand. Briefly, at airports, entering with a visa exemption is subject to scrutiny by officials and a possible denied entry if (in their sole opinion) they do not regard you as a normal tourist. By land, they do not scrutinise you, but you are restricted to only two visa exemptions by land in a calendar year.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Flying in should still hopefully be OK. However, you are approaching the point where you would be well advised to use land crossings to enter Thailand. Briefly, at airports, entering with a visa exemption is subject to scrutiny by officials and a possible denied entry if (in their sole opinion) they do not regard you as a normal tourist. By land, they do not scrutinise you, but you are restricted to only two visa exemptions by land in a calendar year.

Thanks for the advice.. I don't like taking the bus alot. Can I just leave by plane and comeback by land ? (minimising land distance)

7 hours ago, adrianc said:

Thanks for the advice.. I don't like taking the bus alot. Can I just leave by plane and comeback by land ? (minimising land distance)

Sure. That is often the best approach. Also, having crossed the border by land, you can happily use a domestic flight to reach your final destination.

A friend just arrived back in Thailand 3 time in 2022 a V.O.A and extensions and was grilled for 50 mins .

In the end had to call an agent who has a contact at the Airport or he was going to be denied .

Been advise to get a visa next time he arrives in 2023 although it resets apparanty the IO said no visa no entry its on the computer 

In May at BKK, I was hassled on my only second VE entry (first entry in January for 30 day stay), after 2 and a half years of staying away during COVID. It took me by surprised, as I never experienced anything like it in decades of coming to the LOS on VEs.

So, yes, the possibility of extra scrutiny or entry denial is real, folks. But that's BKK. I have not heard of CNX, HKT or even DMK having similar issues.

Edited by worldexpress

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

I've seen posted that a previous entry by air counts at one of the two entries, when doing a land border run – do you know if that is correct..?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

I've seen posted that a previous entry by air counts at one of the two entries, when doing a land border run – do you know if that is correct..?

Yes, I do know if that is correct. It is complete nonsense. The two land entries per calendar year rule means exactly what it says. It is unaffected by whether you eat at McDonalds, whether or not you rent a condo, or your previous interactions with immigration that do not involve using a visa exemption when entering by land.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, worldexpress said:

In May at BKK, I was hassled on my only second VE entry (first entry in January for 30 day stay), after 2 and a half years of staying away during COVID. It took me by surprised, as I never experienced anything like it in decades of coming to the LOS on VEs.

So, yes, the possibility of extra scrutiny or entry denial is real, folks. But that's BKK. I have not heard of CNX, HKT or even DMK having similar issues.

When entering visa exempt, it is possible you could have problems at any airport. Historically, the risk has been higher at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang. The officials are empowered to take such actions. They have the same discretion as consular officials have when you apply for a visa.

At some airports, there is a risk (albeit much lower) even when trying to enter with a tourist visa from an embassy. This latter case is against the intent of the Immigration Act, but it is often hard to fight it.

23 hours ago, adrianc said:

Drive yourself down to Sungnai Golok and cross there into Kota Bharu.  Don't forget to pack your flak jacket.

On 11/3/2022 at 4:46 PM, adrianc said:

I am staying in Thailand for tourism purposes.  (My permanent stay is in germany)

doesnt sound like that tbh. 

I came in April 2022, stayed ONE MONTH and went back home .

I cameback in July 2022, stayed ONE MONTH and went back home.

I cameback In September 2022, stayed ONE month and extended my tourist visa for another month (SO now I am basically staying 2 months this time).

you are staying in thailand almost every 2 months for a month. this seems little bit more than tourism. I think it is time for you to decide thailand or germany. tourism means you go to some place in your vacation for a couple of weeks, not spending half of the year in the same place. Also seems you are trying to stay longer '' (SO now I am basically staying 2 months this time).''

In 10 days my visa will expire and I don't want to go back to Europe, I'd  rather stay here. 

and here it is.. proof of my words.

Like I said, I am only doing tourism activity .

and the bomb... lol you are not doing tourism activity, you are just trying to stay in thailand as best and as long as you can. 

so here are the suggestions for not having problems in the future:

thai cooking classes

martial art classes (i suggest muay thai)

find a job

find a wife (if you are ready)

re-educate yourself with ED visa

non-o retirement visa if you are over 50 and you can use re-entry to go back to germany and come back to thailand. 

good luck

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

doesnt sound like that tbh. 

you are staying in thailand almost every 2 months for a month. this seems little bit more than tourism. I think it is time for you to decide thailand or germany. tourism means you go to some place in your vacation for a couple of weeks, not spending half of the year in the same place. Also seems you are trying to stay longer '' (SO now I am basically staying 2 months this time).''

and here it is.. proof of my words.

and the bomb... lol you are not doing tourism activity, you are just trying to stay in thailand as best and as long as you can. 

so here are the suggestions for not having problems in the future:

thai cooking classes

martial art classes (i suggest muay thai)

find a job

find a wife (if you are ready)

re-educate yourself with ED visa

non-o retirement visa if you are over 50 and you can use re-entry to go back to germany and come back to thailand. 

good luck

First I wanna thank you for the suggestions at the end of the comment, that is really helpful and I appreciate it alot.

About my stay in Thailand,  I am really here for tourism purposes right now: "Enjoying the beaches and having fun and exploring phuket "...  I want to extend my stay because I have the possibility to do so and don't have obligations back home... And yes my permanent stay is In Germany ( 6 months at least per calendar year to legally be considered permanent stay , which is done in my case for this year)..

Edited by adrianc
  • Like 1