2-year-old boy gets his head stuck in automatic gate and sustains serious injury

snoop1130

C6B88208-E264-4A50-A55E-FB43AE57F6A1-696x392.jpeg

PHOTO: ข่าวศรีราชาท้องถิ่น

A 2-year-old boy sustained a serious head injury after getting his head stuck in an automatic gate by accident.

Sri Racha rescuers were called in to save the boy from getting his head crushed at a house in a housing complex in Sri Racha’s Bowin subdistrict, Chonburi.

The boy’s head was tightly stuck in an automatic gate to a parking area. Pol. Capt. Apichart Waewkratoke from the Sri Racha police station, who happened to live next door, came to help cut the iron gate. Eventually, the young child was freed and taken to a hospital for medical treatment.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/11/04/2-year-old-boy-gets-his-head-stuck-in-automatic-gate-and-sustains-serious-injury-in-sri-racha/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-11-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

That's why I always get the Mrs to walk through my closing gate to check the stop censors are still working but this toddler has been failed by adults horribly ???? 

My gate does not have such stop sensors, not even sure there are torque switches or anything of that type to stop anyone being caught... I suspect not as it has managed to screw up tight onto the end stops, requiring the key to disengage the motor and release it. I think if i had kids I would get the safety sensors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

My gate does not have such stop sensors, not even sure there are torque switches or anything of that type to stop anyone being caught... I suspect not as it has managed to screw up tight onto the end stops, requiring the key to disengage the motor and release it. I think if i had kids I would get the safety sensors. 

Rolling gates usually have adjustable force-resist detection in both directions, but that's to protect the motor if a trash bin gets in the way. This feature does not protect pets or people.

However, the motor control boards include circuitry for adding infrared sensors that scan the driveway at about 60cm above the ground. These sensor beams work well to stop the closing gate if the path is blocked by a vehicle, bicycle, big dog, etc.. But not by a cat or a toddler.  Still. they are worth the extra few baht, and --not that it matters much-- I believe they are required by law.

7 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

However, the motor control boards include circuitry for adding infrared sensors that scan the driveway at about 60cm above the ground. These sensor beams work well to stop the closing gate if the path is blocked by a vehicle, bicycle, big dog, etc.. But not by a cat or a toddler.  Still. they are worth the extra few baht, and --not that it matters much-- I believe they are required by law.

Yes I have seen such sensors on a neighbour's gate, but, as to being a requirement, they are only installed on one rolling gate of 4  near my house.  

Edited by jacko45k

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

...they are only installed on one rolling gate of 4  near my house.  

And at the one house, the sensor may not work.

Our gate weighs a metric ton and could crush a Panzer. The sensor wiring under the driveway rotted out so we just recently cut the paving to run some heavy duty replacement. I also added an external antenna for the remote control but in truth I never open or close the gate without a quick peek at the running gear. I've seen what it can do to a cat.

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Me and the Mrs often argued about who would be getting out in the rain when I had one.....

Never an issue, I said if I have to open the gate you have to park the car..

she'd be out there for hours.

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2022 at 9:04 AM, jacko45k said:

Yes I have seen such sensors on a neighbour's gate, but, as to being a requirement, they are only installed on one rolling gate of 4  near my house.  

Ours failed, son called the technician, he came said battery dead & he would go buy new battery and come back to fit it. Never returned about 5 years ago. 

Son waited 48 hrs and called another technician, he had spare new batteries in his kit, all fixed less than 5 minutes, very low cost.