Immigration latest: Korean conman, Indian on overstay, 56 Chinese, illegal migrants, Austrian benefits' cheat

webfact

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You can't blame refugees (or economic migrants) for trying to get a better life (although if that is their goal the UK is the wrong place) The fault lies in the system.

The fault lies with outfits such as the ECHR  which makes it nearly impossible to get them out.

If we are out of the EU we should be out of this also.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

The fault lies with outfits such as the ECHR  which makes it nearly impossible to get them out.

Quite recently the House of Lords ruled that asylum seekers should be able to work in the UK, once they get here they're pretty much home & dry. News of that is like a magnet to those people.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Quite recently the House of Lords ruled that asylum seekers should be able to work in the UK, once they get here they're pretty much home & dry. News of that is like a magnet to those people.

Same in US. I know someone who works for ICE. Adds democratic voters for Dems and cheap labor supply for Republicans. Joe Whiteman loses out. At least Thailand seems to care for the moment about it's sovereignty

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 7:56 AM, SymS said:

Social benefits fraud must be rampant, but they are probably hard to catch. When I was still visiting Thailand as a tourist, a young European lady told me she negotiated her resignation with her employer in order to get her unemployment checks for a one-year trip around the world. All she was hoping was that the left stays in power as she thought they would not look into the validity of the claims as much...

The billions that are lost in social benefits in the  EU alone  is unimaginable . I have had neighbors who milk the system well  over  the amounts hard working people earn a month.  The governments can’t seem to control this, or clamp down on the fraud fast enough. I know many from EU that live in Thailand like this for many months, claiming at home, parents covering for them .  When the time comes, they go home, work a few months, sign on again, rinse and repeat. One I know even has a job in Chiang Mai in a call center. Thieves, the lot of them. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 7:47 AM, Andrew65 said:

A price they pay for giving visas-on-arrival to anyone. If people had to apply for a visa before travelling, and that included a criminal record check, a very large number of people would be barred from visiting Thailand.

I assume you're ????  is shining bright .to get a c.o.e. during the pandemic added untold delay I shudder to think how long for a full check where you would have to sign a waver for thailand to conduct a criminal check on everyone.

I'm British living in Switzerland perhaps I offend in Spain unless I'm on interpol wanted list it would be a very basic check

4 minutes ago, Dave0206 said:

I assume you're ????  is shining bright .to get a c.o.e. during the pandemic added untold delay I shudder to think how long for a full check where you would have to sign a waver for thailand to conduct a criminal check on everyone.

I'm British living in Switzerland perhaps I offend in Spain unless I'm on interpol wanted list it would be a very basic check

I'm not saying that what ever I mention should be put into practice, just discussing this generally. If you want a non-O (or O visa) visa for Thailand I believe a criminal record check is carried out anyway.

We allow millions of people into the UK without a CRC, as EU members we had to, some of them are criminals.

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) is, technically, not an organ of the European Union (EU). That said, it does have close links to, and is heavily influenced by, the governing bodies of the EU, which (although this is a debate for another time) have little, flawed, democratic accountability and do enjoy "chucking their weight about"!

The ECHR was not set up, or designed, to overrule national laws, in particular when cases have already been appealed up to and including the national supreme courts. The ruling, for example, which stayed the initial deportation flight of "asylum seekers" to Rwanda was obtained late at night, from a single foreign judge, ruling anonymously on a case which had already been appealed all the way up through the United Kingdom's judicial system and ruled legal by the UK's Supreme Court. 

The judges in the ECHR are at the pinnacle of their judicial careers. That means that they may have been practicing law for over forty years, some in countries with less than savoury judicial systems; where for example, opponents of governments were regularly sent by courts to psychiatric institutions! That aside, they come, almost without exception, from countries with very different judicial systems and traditions to that of the UK, and often from countries where the judiciary have much less independence from government.

It is perhaps ironic that, in the midst of the current wave of "asylum seekers" trafficked by Albanian gangs, from Albania, Albania has a judge on the panel of the ECHR!

Personally I don't think that we should necessarily leave the ECHR system, we helped set it up, but we should certainly not view it as a superior court to our own courts, after all it is not bound by either British statute or Common Law.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

I'm not saying that what ever I mention should be put into practice, just discussing this generally. If you want a non-O (or O visa) visa for Thailand I believe a criminal record check is carried out anyway.

We allow millions of people into the UK without a CRC, as EU members we had to, some of them are criminals.

Non-O or O? Can't say I've ever knowingly had a CRC done for a non immigrant O visa, or an extension of stay based on retirement. Had them as a London cabbie though.

There's a world of difference between border control at points of entry, which is normally just a cursory glance up, at you and at maybe a blacklist, and some keying in of data, stamp, next..., and applications for asylum for instance. The latter would almost certainly involve checks with authorities in the applicants country of origin, families etc, and lawyers and this and that. And would you or I have it any other way?

Can't answer for non-O though. OA? B? C? X? How many others are there? Do any of them require a CRC in the appellants home country?

I doubt ending visa on entry would help the Thai economy or stop bad guys entering. There is no global, centralized, database of criminals - though Interpol will help find those with red notices. There are only 7,115 notices, from a global population of almost eight billion. The US's NSA and FBI are able to find more due to their lack of inhibitions regarding the collection of everyone's personal data, both domestic and foreign, through facilities like Pine Gap in Australia and software like Carnivore and Echelon. Two years ago the EU ended data sharing with the US due to this problem.

Thus, going to the US is likely to get you in trouble with any sort of criminal record, using a visa or ESTA.

There is no reference to criminal records on the Thai T.M.6 Arrival Card and Thai embassies probably don't have the ability to check much. Officers at the port of entry can size someone up (those beady or squinty eyes are a giveaway I guess) but as to a computer system with access to global criminal records - not yet.

When I applied for PR I asked my home country police for a letter saying I didn't have a criminal record, which they informed they could not provide but were willing to write that I was not wanted for anything at that time. Immigration doesn't ask for a letter from your police generally except when you apply for a retirement visa and you do need a letter from the police, but as I said, due to privacy acts these days they may not get historical data.

I just cannot believe that Thai embassies have the software or manpower to check everyone who applies, so flooding them with visa applications is not the way to go.

On 11/5/2022 at 6:47 AM, Andrew65 said:

A price they pay for giving visas-on-arrival to anyone. If people had to apply for a visa before travelling, and that included a criminal record check, a very large number of people would be barred from visiting Thailand.

If most had to apply for a visa for Thailand perhaps 80% could not get past the logic-bomb online application portal.

Good way to deter criminals and almost everyone else.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/5/2022 at 6:59 AM, Andrew65 said:

"A few undesirables" I reckon it would be a lot more than a few, but as you say, it would have a big impact on tourist numbers. It would stop a lot of people with drugs convictions, probably even people who were busted for having a bit of pot *which to me isn't a big deal, but it's still a drugs conviction.

So basically you think any body with any form of  criminal record should be banned from travelling ? and denied the "privilege" of a foreign holiday??   Are you for real or just winding us up?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

So basically you think any body with any form of  criminal record should be banned from travelling ? and denied the "privilege" of a foreign holiday??   Are you for real or just winding us up?

Quote where I say that this should happen?

I'm just speculating on different scenarios, 'what ifs'.

18 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

If most had to apply for a visa for Thailand perhaps 80% could not get past the logic-bomb online application portal.

Good way to deter criminals and almost everyone else.

Quite a few times I've applied for an e-visa online to Cambodia, takes about 10 minutes.

Edited by Andrew65

Can't help laughing at the TVF stalwarts bemoaning the prescence of those they consider undesirable and advocating police checks when issuing visas.  Could it be early onset Alzheimer's or have you really forgotten where you are ?   and why you came here ?   Just because you are all now too old to enjoy the hedonistic pleasures that drew you here , and can no longer handle the company of those that frequent that scene, there is no reason to miserably attempt to deny that experience to the next generation.

Nobody  is going to thank you for attempting to turn Thailand into a copy of the miserable place you left behind you when you came here.

This is Thailand for god sake Its real, its edgy, and yes it can be downright deadly, as can many of the characters you may meet here,  Get used to it or go home to your "safe space" would be my advice, as you are not living in "turnbridge wells" any more

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

They let Megan into the royal family. Couldn’t get much worse for the UK than that !!

22 hours ago, Lazybones said:

I thought every visitor to Australia had to obtain a visa first? 

An Australia ETA for some.....definition.

You need a visa to travel to Australia unless you are an Australian citizen. An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) is an electronically stored authority equivalent to a visa, which is linked to a passport number. 

Sounds like a Visa.... no criminal record of over a year in jail permitted. 

• Like 1