5am music blasting in the village.

bob smith

3 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Go back four decades, the only speakers on pickup trucks were used as advertising the latest Muay Thai contests around their local venue. 

Every idiot now wants to blast the <deleted> out of all others with their choice of noise pollution.

Songkran started as water anointing - to water gun fights - to wiping out motorcyclists with bucket dumps. Cultural or behavior gone bad ?

This behavioral problem is not relegated to Thailand, solely, has happened worldwide.

My comment refers to the use of "decades" and I think two of them satisfies my refutation of something not being the case "decades ago". If  one means 40 years one shouldn't use the term "decades" in general, instead, four decades or more appropriately the 40 years.

On 11/6/2022 at 11:54 AM, pgrahmm said:

Go to the Philippines - their garbage trucks are blasting music that you can hear 1/4 mile away.....The collectors revel in it....The louder the better....

A few times a week.....

You should move to third world UK

You only get monthly bin collections 

Thais,

They do not like it either.

They do not like other Thais making loud noises waking them up.

They do not like other Thais driving loud motorbikes and interrupting their discussions.

They do not like other Thais driving their vehicles too fast and endangering others on the roads.

But they have stopped thinking about it, because they know that there is noting that they can do about it.

And Thais,

They do not like foreigners driving loud motorbikes and interrupting their sleep.

They do not like foreigners driving loud motorbikes and interrupting their discussions.

They do not like foreigners driving their vehicles too fast and endangering others on the roads.

But Thais have stopped thinking about that also, because they know that there is nothing that they can do about it.

Thais know that many foreigners, mainly the 25-35 age range, they come to their country because they can also do all these immoral acts with the same impunity culturally granted to Thais...

So the words of wisdom are the same:

"Stop thinking about it, because there is nothing that anyone can do about it."

Sound seems to travel here across the flat land much louder than I remember in the US.....

It's possible there's just less other background noise pollution or prevailing winds to help filter it out.....

All stone/brick houses acting like echo chambers probably doesn't help either.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thailand village life is obviously not meant for you. Think about moving to somewhere like Pattaya where the music stops around 5.00am. Combine that with alcoholically assisted slumber and you should be able to sleep clear through to 3.00pm just in time for the next session to start. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 1:33 PM, CharlieH said:

Welcome to Thailand ! Its a cultural thing and is usually/generally because someone is ......

Going to be a Monk

Died

Getting Married.

You can complain, but it will fall on deaf ears ! Literally ????

What I always find hard to comprehend is if you attend one of these functions you need to wear earplugs and yell at the top of voice to talk to someone. TIT Go figure.

15 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

What I always find hard to comprehend is if you attend one of these functions you need to wear earplugs and yell at the top of voice to talk to someone. TIT Go figure.

Ahh, but as honored farang guest you will have received the premium seating, 5ft away from the 10ft high speakers cranked to max volume, bass and distortion

On 11/6/2022 at 1:31 PM, bob smith said:

does everyone think its acceptable for houses to blast out daft music at 5am?

are there any laws regarding this, if so where can i complain. 

thans.

Laws? Yeah, I´ve heard of them.

Complain? Talk to anybody. No one will listen anyway. There are two reasons for that. First, they might have gone deaf from the night before. Second, they simple don´t care.

We’ve got a big speaker on power pole next to the house…usually blares at 06:00 when music followed by Tha run down of what seems the entire list of prices for the market 3 times a week. 
Neighbors finished their house and I think the clipped to speaker line… works for me..555

It's amazing to read all these crazy comments. 

Luckily, above, some reasonable comments had appeared.

Telling people off because they don't tolerate something unreasonable that even Thais won't tolerate is just plain madness. 

Most people have no idea that Thailand isn't just Thailand.

There are 2 Thailands. 

One is where people live around their village living a happy life making noise etc.

On the other hand, there is the other Thailand that does not tolerate noise, smoke, nuisance etc. 

I'm happy to have been able to meet and speak with so many locals that would open up and talk to me as their confidant. Having the knowledge of Thai language and being around locals on a daily basis are great to learn about this place. Of course, Thais in general try to avoid confrontations, but it doesn't mean they agree with those lunatics. 

For example, where I live, there is a Line group for the locals where they can vent their frustration. And yes, noise is NOT tolerated, burning things nonstop is NOT tolerated, dogs running at walkers is NOT tolerated, early morning loud music is NOT tolerated etc.

Seen neighbours discuss issues with each other and they could iron out their issues. Of course, farangs should not get involved unless they are indeed accepted and respected by the local community. 

Have a nice day ????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Sound seems to travel here across the flat land much louder than I remember in the US.....

It's possible there's just less other background noise pollution or prevailing winds to help filter it out.....

All stone/brick houses acting like echo chambers probably doesn't help either.....

It's the houses that work like amplifiers. Noise seems to be louder inside than outside ????

5 minutes ago, garrya said:

It's amazing to read all these crazy comments. 

Luckily, above, some reasonable comments had appeared.

Telling people off because they don't tolerate something unreasonable that even Thais won't tolerate is just plain madness. 

Most people have no idea that Thailand isn't just Thailand.

There are 2 Thailands. 

One is where people live around their village living a happy life making noise etc.

On the other hand, there is the other Thailand that does not tolerate noise, smoke, nuisance etc. 

I'm happy to have been able to meet and speak with so many locals that would open up and talk to me as their confidant. Having the knowledge of Thai language and being around locals on a daily basis are great to learn about this place. Of course, Thais in general try to avoid confrontations, but it doesn't mean they agree with those lunatics. 

For example, where I live, there is a Line group for the locals where they can vent their frustration. And yes, noise is NOT tolerated, burning things nonstop is NOT tolerated, dogs running at walkers is NOT tolerated, early morning loud music is NOT tolerated etc.

Seen neighbours discuss issues with each other and they could iron out their issues. Of course, farangs should not get involved unless they are indeed accepted and respected by the local community. 

Have a nice day ????

Jealous or what.....we* can suffer loud music at anytime, day or night....TV's played outside at full volume ......constant burning of rubbish, especially in the winter months......funerals and weddings are an absolute nightmare....... three dogs, either side of us, constantly hassle motorbike riders all day, everyday......

We*......the wife steadfastly refuses to acknowledge any of it is a problem.

I am close to leaving and moving back to the quiet serenity of Bangkok......life is too short to put up with this ````.

6 hours ago, garrya said:

It's the houses that work like amplifiers. Noise seems to be louder inside than outside ????

Low frequency sound has a long wave length. In a room with walls this may lead to what is called "standing waves", which will intensify each other at certain points in the room. Depends on the geometry of the room and the material of its walls. The only way to tame this are so called Bass Traps which catch the energy and destroy some of it.

The issue is highly complicated and needs an acoustician to handle it. Outside of the room you can do practically nothing against it. Ear Plugs need to be of a certain material which has the ability to dampen even a little bit at a certain frequency. And then it could even creep through any solid matter and find its way inside your hearing apparatus in this way.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 9:59 PM, Will B Good said:

Jealous or what.....we* can suffer loud music at anytime, day or night....TV's played outside at full volume ......constant burning of rubbish, especially in the winter months......funerals and weddings are an absolute nightmare....... three dogs, either side of us, constantly hassle motorbike riders all day, everyday......

We*......the wife steadfastly refuses to acknowledge any of it is a problem.

I am close to leaving and moving back to the quiet serenity of Bangkok......life is too short to put up with this ````.

Well, put it this way.

You are not going to change an entire culture. Thai's put up with noise to a level none of us can understand. You can complain, but you will be met with a look of puzzlement about what the problem is.

Your wife lack of understanding is also because she's Thai. She's grown up in a culture of horrendous loud music for whatever event, dogs roaming the streets and barking day and night.

If you are on a one man mission to change that, Good Luck 

• Haha 1