What it costs to live in Thailand, on a budget ?

Social Media

19 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

If you eat only Thai food. I try to avoid it. Cooking at home mostly

Dining out, western food in not cheap, usually.  Especially if at a 'farang' managed restaurant.  Thai places, not too bad.

We cook & dine in mostly, as just do a better job at it.  Have a couple favorite local restaurants, and I'll usual order what we can't or won't make at home.

Nice just to get out of the house once in a while, and not have to do dishes.

Don't agree with folks saying 'meals' start at 40 baht.  Plates & bowls of food start at 40 baht, but yet to have 1 fill me up, and count as a meal.  A meal out of late, runs about 200 baht for me.  Maybe 300 baht, and I won't have to make a sandwich at the house 2 hours later ????

We 'waste' more money on our coffee & sweet tooth stops, as can hit 3-400 baht for 2 of us, easily.  That's only a beverage and pastry each, 40-60 X 2 & 65-125 X 2.  Pretty much our only vice, as neither of us drink alcohol much, and never out of the house.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

Sounds like you worked hard enough and long enough to where you didn't have to be a person of extreme thrift.  

I as well have (almost) always lived within my means, and am at a point where if I don't do anything stupid, can live very well for the remainder of my years.  I'm exploring Thailand as place to maybe do that part time.

If you are living in the West, or in Oz, good call. The quality of life here is quite good for many of us. And the people are far better adjusted and pleasant. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I retired I promised myself I'd never make a budget as if I had to micro manage spending than that's not enjoying life.

But I had planned to spend 100,000 per month but realistically I thought I would need 60,000

Checking my bank, it turns out I spent only 25000-29000 a month over last 4 months in Pattaya, so 1000 a day covers me 

While I own my own condo to save on rent I did have 2000 a month average on electricity. This includes always eating out and plenty of Singha. I guess the key is I don't have any hanger ons taking my baht and my "2 week millionaire" trips are quickly done away with once staying longer

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

If you eat only Thai food. I try to avoid it. Cooking at home mostly

Me too, my days of 'going out' have all but finished, i doubt i even spend 4k a month on food, i have a box of big Leo delivered from D-save and ciggies i probably spend more on those than food. made a nice Quiche yesterday, Frozen food is handy I have found 4 portions of Spaghetti carbonara in Macro for 165b, I buy 2kilo of cheese at a time I do like my sandwiches. Oh and those that say Never Buy always rent, Ho Hum, no rent to pay now ever, I'm not a cheapskate just the way my life has panned out.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2022 at 10:01 AM, BritManToo said:

I don't understand what so many foreigners spend all the money on.

My electricity bill has been over 6800 the last 2 months and I pay directly to the electricity company (in BKK). 10 year old 3000, 18 year old 5400 thb spending money per month. Rent 25000 per month for a house.

That is already over 40K and only a few costs.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

My electricity bill has been over 6800 the last 2 months and I pay directly to the electricity company (in BKK). 10 year old 3000, 18 year old 5400 thb spending money per month. Rent 25000 per month for a house.

That is already over 40K and only a few costs.

My electricity bill was 160bht last month.

Wasting electricity and renting an expensive home is a lifestyle choice, not a need.

IMG_20230702_071024.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

4,000bht for the ground floor shop-front.

2,500bht each for the upper 2 floors (extra if you want them to fit air-con).

Each 2 condos share a staircase (free wifi, double bed, wardrobe, study desk).

Covered parking for m/cs round the back, parking for cars in the front.

Tesco/7-11/BigC, restaurants, bars, swimming pool all within 500m.

Where are these, Am looking to rent a shophouse for private workshop but would happily rent the shop front and both "condo's" for 9k a month and move out of the house Iam currently in.

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Where are these, Am looking to rent a shophouse for private workshop but would happily rent the shop front and both "condo's" for 9k a month and move out of the house Iam currently in.

MaeJo, in the road between the police station and the post office.

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My local eating place run by 2 little old Thai ladies in their 60s.

Pat prik geng gai peeset (large portion rice with chicken in red curry sauce) = 50bht

Almost more than I can eat with quality chicken breast.

Auf De Au German buffet in CM, all you can eat for 230bht (lasts me all day).

Including coffee, tea and a selection of puddings.

And the thick cut ham is really nice. 

Rajadabar Indian restaurant in Loi Kro, Chicken Masala curry + Naan bread 220bht.

Eating out, you just need to pick your spots and not carelessly waste money.

As for western foods, cook it yourself at home, most of my meals cost a lot less than 40bht to make.

Cottage pie .......... pork mince + mashed potato, around 20bht for a big portion.

Chicken and chips ........... 25bht.

Bacon, egg and chips ...... 25bht.

Just having a double car port built, 40kbht around 900 GBP.

2 builders taking around 4-6 days, steel beams and corrugated aluminium(?) roofing.

How much would that cost me back in the UK?

If you ever fancy Burmese food, Cherry's Restaurant on Changklan Rd is excellent.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Living the dream.....????

Yes I am, nice house, beautiful spot & view, good food, good wife, nice car, money in the bank,  I don't Need to go out. You?

Edited by brianthainess
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

No need to pay more than 5k THB for comfy housing, if that's your choice.

Personally I'd choose townhouses over condos, as probably wouldn't use the amenities, (pool/gym) if having.  Prefer less neighbors, ground floor entrance, and parking right in front of the house.

Usually more m² for the same price w/kitchen for home cooking, vs a condo or rented room, on that low end price point.

how much u pay for townhouse? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My electricity bill was 160bht last month.

Wasting electricity and renting an expensive home is a lifestyle choice, not a need.

IMG_20230702_071024.jpg

Yes, it is my life style choice. Rent is not expensive for a 2 story, 6 room house with garden, close to schools and work in BKK.   

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Yes, it is my life style choice. Rent is not expensive for a 2 story, 6 room house with garden, close to schools and work in BKK.   

Yeah, some guys would boast about their 162.47 electricity bill and forget to tell that they've just spent half a million on solar panels...

My answer to  the OP would be 100K if single, 200K to 300K for a family of four. The latter is my situation  out in Surin, and I consider my standard of living as modest. But I don't try to compare myself to the locals, as I watch them in amazement.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Yeah, some guys would boast about their 162.47 electricity bill and forget to tell that they've just spent half a million on solar panels...

-0- electric bill and only 445k for solar system ????

Beats giving PEA 3-6K a month, and charges the EV, saving another 3k a month.  Worth every baht ????

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I've got the same in Chiang Mai, but the mortgage repayments are only 10kbht/month.

53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

-0- electric bill and only 445k for solar system ????

Beats giving PEA 3-6K a month, and charges the EV, saving another 3k a month.  Worth every baht ????

Well, if  I take a 4.5k  midpoint of your billing  range, that's a 100  months payback. So over 8 years without any maintenance charges. Makes it a questionable investment  IMHO. I.e when will you need to replace your panels, inverter, etc...

Ok, let's not highjack this thread. But I was thinking of getting solar panels, but only of the roofs exposed for maximal yield. Now I am  thinking there may be a better use for my [little] money.

Edited by Ben Zioner

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yes I am, nice house, beautiful spot & view, good food, good wife, nice car, money in the bank,  I don't Need to go out. You?

Not been out for a while, months, other than out to eat. Must give her a couple of days off per week. 

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My missus works all day, everyday, many times not home till after I've eaten, her choice, i mainly do my own cooking anyway.

I don't enjoy the bar/pub scene anymore, I'm not a mans man,

I never used to go to the pub from work like soo many others did, same my dad NEVER went to a pub or drank, I live a normal life, boring for others maybe, not for me though. Normal watch Tv on the sofa, in fact my dad used to call the TV ''the trash box''

Spot on about the pub. That was when there were a lot more open! Guys I used to work with would drink up to five pints at lunch time and then go in again after work. Weekends involved some serious drinking! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Well, if  I take a 4.5k  midpoint of your billing  range, that's a 100  months payback. So over 8 years without any maintenance charges. Makes it a questionable investment  IMHO. I.e when will you need to replace your panels, inverter, etc...

Ok, let's not highjack this thread. But I was thinking of getting solar panels, but only of the roofs exposed for maximal yield. Now I am  thinking there may be a better use for my [little] money.

No highjack, on topic, cost of, how to stretch, invest for the long game, or pay as you go.

Our solar system is on the high end of pricing, since installed, and with better components, hopefully.

Don't expect any oops for 10-20 yrs, hopefully, though won't be around if any.  Our ROI should be in the 5-8 yr range, probably the latter, but all good in that aspect.

Depending on your monthly usage & bill now.  Some guys have a system, supplements or almost carries them through the whole month. 5kWh tie in systems are not expensive.  It's the ESSs, batteries, that add to the cost, (185k for ours) if wanting to be off grid, unofficially.  We're still conx, but don't need the grid.

EV & solar just compliments each other and adds to the value of both.

But it does depend on your finances, lifestyle, age, possible ROI or not.  If out of the house all day, then solar wouldn't be much use, or a more expensive system, and impractical, or very long ROI.

I've been here for a while, retired/home all day, and wife is younger, so a no brainer for me.   If just arriving, and 65 ish years old, then no, unless planning of living 20 more years, or have someone to leave it to.   

Simply rent something or buy a comfy condo & enjoy.  

Couple mill for a house, 1 mill for a car, goes a long way to one's monthly budget if not needing or wanting either.   Many places a car isn't even needed, and probably our biggest monthly expense, especially if ICE, considering buy in, petrol & maintenance over the life of the vehicle.  Definitely a luxury item, if not needed for out & about or local getting around.  Plenty of inexpensive options also, if just knockin' around town.

We really don't need a car, it's just a convenience, as everything is <5 kms away.

If single, I could easily live very minimalistic.  All personal choice, and plenty of here.

ENJOY