Billionaire hotel tycoon Bill Heinecke asks Thailand to charge foreigners more per room to aid industry’s economic recovery

snoop1130

On 11/10/2022 at 7:37 AM, nigelforbes said:

You need to do some reading and learn about Bill Henecke.

He started off with nothing and built a multi billion dollar global conglomerate, from scratch. He relinquished his US citizenship and became a Thai national. What he did, his efforts, were remarkable, he is however sadly wrong on this particular point.

Practically nobody starts with nothing who became a billionaire. His father was a diplomat working in the foreign service, his mother a correspondent for Time Magazine, they were on full international salaries and bennies. He went to International Schools as a kid growing up in Bangkok. 

I respect that he was able to build his business through his efforts although I know none of the particulars other than his abysmal products in the pizza industry and what I've read on this thread. But any international school kid gets a leg up from the cradle. I gave the same advantage to my kids, nothing wrong with that at all, it's what most parents who can do would do. If they start a business, as no doubt with Bill I'll give my kids a hand as I will when they want to buy their house. That's something I can do but not everyone else can, hence it is privilege. I assess character more by how they treat others, particularly those who live ordinary or poor lives. Often these people haven't any understanding of the day-to-day issues of the majority of the population because they don't experience how expensive it is to be poor for example, or how hard it is for someone in the middle class to save for that honeymoon or dream vacation to Thailand.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2022 at 3:00 PM, d2b2 said:

Is he Thai, really? Is he American, really? is he a billionaire, doubtful. It is certain his daddy left him well off, with a chain of hotels. Self made man? Not a bit.

He is a naturalized Thai. He relinquished his US citizenship in the 1990s. His father worked for the US government and was not wealthy.

Whatever is actual wealth is, it is self-made. Forbes has him on its list of 50 wealthiest Thais and estimates his wealth at USD1.4 billion.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2022 at 9:33 AM, madmitch said:

$8 isn't much if you're booking a five star hotel but it is if you're booking a smaller hotel. 

Let him put 300 baht on his prices and let other hotels decide whether or not to follow suit.

That’s why I ended with “ this class of hotels”.There are thousand of hotels in Thailand that do not belong to the group. Most of them independent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the two tier pricing policy in Thailand is divisive but the cost differentials at the places I visit are relatively small and, in many cases, the cashier treats me as Thai equivalent when I am with my Thai family.

As for this, though, forget it. If it happens, there may be nothing we can do but watch out for influencers with a vested interest. There are companies that I refuse to patronise when I feel their behaviour does not match my ethical or business compass.

On the other hand, when we stayed overnight in Bangkok a few weeks ago we were faced with dual pricing at the hotel. Mrs T called them and made the booking and the staff were very helpful and understanding over their dual pricing policy and she got Thai rates.

Covid-19 has hit the world very hard but in the same way that this chap wants me to help him out, there was no one around to help those of us whose incomes dropped massively in 2020 and even into 2021.

On 11/9/2022 at 6:48 PM, josephbloggs said:

Agree,  Supply and demand. There is absolutely nothing stopping him from putting up his prices by 300 baht a night. If others chose not to it is up to them - you can't force that on the entire industry.

He just lost a lot of my respect with this request.

yep do this .Thailand's tourism would be finished..Laos.. Vietnam.. Cambodia.. Myanmar..all looking attractive cost wise ..

15 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

yep do this .Thailand's tourism would be finished..Laos.. Vietnam.. Cambodia.. Myanmar..all looking attractive cost wise ..

I really don't see how Cambodia, Myanmar and even Laos (great beaches haha)  are attractive, so far behind in development. Vietnam, yes is looking good.  

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I really don't see how Cambodia, Myanmar and even Laos (great beaches haha)  are attractive, so far behind in development. Vietnam, yes is looking good.  

hi mate just going by things a lot of my mates have said ..single blokes who tend to travel a lot more than I do ..just thinks like less hoops to jump thru and less officialdom..also prices ..just passing on what I've been told I'm here for the long haul..

Dairy Queen prices going up for tourists?

On 11/9/2022 at 6:47 PM, soi3eddie said:

If Mr Heinecke thinks that hotels need to charge more then surely they will. Hotel pricing is driven by costs and the market (supply/demand). No artificial support needed to generate more profits for him! Is he saying publicly that there should be dual pricing for foreigners? This is just plain wrong and will backfire on him and the country if they pander to his greedy non-sense. Especially when everything needs to be done to attract travellers in this recession. If I knew which hotels he's involved with, I would surely boycott them.

Here is the list of hotels he owns 

https://www.minor.com/en/businesses/minor-hotels

List of food outlets he owns

https://www.minor.com/en/businesses/minor-food

List of lifestyle brands he sells 

https://www.minor.com/en/businesses/minor-lifestyle

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 6:39 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

He is a naturalized Thai. He relinquished his US citizenship in the 1990s. His father worked for the US government and was not wealthy.

Whatever is actual wealth is, it is self-made. Forbes has him on its list of 50 wealthiest Thais and estimates his wealth at USD1.4 billion.

Forbes has Trump on that list too. Self made? Nope! Self made up? Maybe

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/10/2022 at 6:58 AM, nigelforbes said:

Soooo,

a 300 baht per night tax on hotel rooms for foreigners,

a 300 baht tourist tax to enter the country,

a 150%-300% uplift on medical charges for foreigners,

a 500% uplift on entry fees for foreigners into national parks,

How long I wonder before Noi on Beach Road starts consulting her GDP tables and demands a surcharge based on country of origin! In fact that already happens with the Japanese does it not.

+150 baht banking fee for using your foreign ATM card.

On 11/9/2022 at 11:21 PM, LomSak27 said:

A man who knows what he has to say and who to say it to. It does not matter if it sounds ridiculous or not. After all this is the man who took his 116 Pizza Hut restaurants and rebranded them overnight into The Pizza Company after a "dispute" with the parent company.  Not easy and according to some, the real reason he eventually renounced  US citizenship and became a citizen of Thailand. 

I never liked his pizza. And now I have a good reason to avoid staying at his hotels...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 2