Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

22 minutes ago, bannork said:

The Brexiteers suffer from exceptionalism: ' We're special, the EU can't treat us as a third country, they need us, we're above the rules for others '

Wrong!

The UK is special throughout history they have never got on with all the foreign filth. ????????

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RayC said:

The opposition parties were against Brexit therefore why would you expect them to vote in favour of leaving?

The Tories stood on a manifesto of implementing Brexit. May's deal would have done that but it wasn't 'hard' enough for the 'Flat Earthers'. If they had supported May, the deal would have passed.

This whole mess has been of the Tories own making from beginning to end.

You are re writing history . 

Brexit wasn't a Conservative /Labour issue with people from either side of that divide voting on either side of the Brexit question .

Many Labour supports wanted Brexit and they only voted Conservative in *whenever it was* because Conservative vowed to follow the will of the people and get Brexit done and Labour didn't give those assurances and thus many Labour voters voter Tory on that occasion 

4 hours ago, bannork said:

The Brexiteers suffer from exceptionalism: ' We're special, the EU can't treat us as a third country, they need us, we're above the rules for others '

Wrong!

You have made up a quote and attributed the made up quote to 17 million people and saying they are wrong .

Brexiteers voted to be regarded as being a "third Country" and that is how we want to be treated and we don't want to disregard any rules

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

I am not re-writing history and not for the first time you are deliberately misrepresenting one of my comments. 

In the first place, my comment mentioned the opposition parties, not the voters and not just the Labour party. The SNP, LibDems and Greens were clear in their opposition to Brexit. It might be argued that Corbyn was lukewarm in his opposition but, officially Labour was against it, and only a handful of Labour MPs were active Brexiters.

In any event, no political party other than the Tories would have held a Brexit referendum. 

The Conservative leader David Cameroon was also opposed to Brexit and Labour was neutral and sat on the fence 

M.P's from the different partys all had their views on Brexit and it wasn't Pro Brexit Conservatives V Everyone else wants to Remain .

Conservatives were the only political party who would listen  to the voters and that's why they got elected , Brexit Labour voters voted Conservative that time, for the sole reason that Labour refused to listen to the voters .

Labour/Corby kept changing their mind about whether they wanted to remain or leave 

6 hours ago, bannork said:

Wrong!

If you had been in Dad's Army you would have been Pike.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Conservative leader David Cameroon was also opposed to Brexit and Labour was neutral and sat on the fence 

M.P's from the different partys all had their views on Brexit and it wasn't Pro Brexit Conservatives V Everyone else wants to Remain .

Conservatives were the only political party who would listen  to the voters and that's why they got elected , Brexit Labour voters voted Conservative that time, for the sole reason that Labour refused to listen to the voters .

Labour/Corby kept changing their mind about whether they wanted to remain or leave 

All well and good and I agree with some elements of what you say. 

However, this has nothing to do with my original point that May's deal was scuppered by the ERG. The resulting Withdrawal Agreement and subsequent mess is of the Tories own making.

They, and they alone, are responsible and accountable. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

All well and good and I agree with some elements of what you say. 

However, this has nothing to do with my original point that May's deal was scuppered by the ERG. The resulting Withdrawal Agreement and subsequent mess is of the Tories own making.

They, and they alone, are responsible and accountable. 

As I pointed out previously , there were 60 ERG  MPs who voted out of 650 voters , so it was the other 590 MPs who were primarily responsible for the vote .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Carry on banging that drum by all means, but there is IMO no going back to it. Rather than bleating on constantly, UK citizens should be working to make Britain better, but so much easier to just moan about the "good old days" when Britain was ruled by Brussels.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, RayC said:

The SNP, LibDems and Greens were clear in their opposition to Brexit.

Ah, so the greens wanted to remain, so they had to be on the side of angels, 5555555555.

I'm not familiar with the UK greens but if anything like the attrocity they are here I'd vote against them just on principle.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

EU needs us more than we need it, says Vote Leave

"We are the fifth largest economy in the world. We will be able to have a decent deal with the EU", said John Moynihan, speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"The EU needs a trade deal with us more than we need a trade deal with them".

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-35409274

That is from 7 years ago !!!!!!!!

From January 16 th 2016

I thought that you were talking about modern times, rather than historic statements

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is from 7 years ago !!!!!!!!

From January 16 th 2016

I thought that you were talking about modern times, rather than historic statements

Well, of course it's from almost 7 years ago. You know, before Brexit actually was voted for.

Of course, no one is saying it now. The consequences of Brexit are way too apparent. Instead, Brexiters accuse the EU of being vindictive.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, of course it's from almost 7 years ago. You know, before Brexit actually was voted for.

Of course, no one is saying it now. The consequences of Brexit are way too apparent. Instead, Brexiters accuse the EU of being vindictive.

OK, I do think that he should have written it as a past tense, rather than a current tense to show that he was referring to historic  old statements . 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

As I pointed out previously , there were 60 ERG  MPs who voted out of 650 voters , so it was the other 590 MPs who were primarily responsible for the vote .

If straw-clutching and/or pedancy ever become Olympic event(s), then you must be in with a real chance of becoming gold medalist!

Yes, what you say is correct in purely numeric terms.

However, I'll repeat: The opposition parties were opposed to the UK leaving the EU. Therefore, unsurprisingly, they voted against doing so.

As a group within the governing Tory party, the ERG were in favour of leaving the EU. Therefore, I would expect them to vote in favour of a deal which does just that. They didn't and the May administration fell.

If the ERG had voted in favour of the deal, it would have passed irrespective of how the opposition MPs had voted. 

It remains a mystery why the ERG didn't vote for May's deals. After all, throughout the Brexit campaign, Brexiters continually reiterated that they knew what they were voting for! (To be clear, this is a sarcastic comment).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Carry on banging that drum by all means, but there is IMO no going back to it. Rather than bleating on constantly, UK citizens should be working to make Britain better, but so much easier to just moan about the "good old days" when Britain was ruled by Brussels.

There is always the option to admit a mistake was made and reverse it. However in any event, the UK government could make things better currently by encouraging better relations with the EU.

It's the height of irony for Brexiters to accuse Remainers of longing for the "good old days"????

• Like 1