Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

21 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Where did I say the Scottish Parliament could override Westminster over referendums?

Oh, and be specific…

You said: "none of that changes the fact that there is no legislative reason a referendum could not happen because there was one prior to brexit". 

That is both specific and wrong. Bye.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You said: "none of that changes the fact that there is no legislative reason a referendum could not happen because there was one prior to brexit". 

That is both specific and wrong. Bye.

LOL

That statement is correct.

There is no legislative reason a referendum cannot happen because there was one before brexit. 

That correct statement in no way says or implies the Scottish Parliament can override Westminster. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

LOL

That statement is correct.

There is no legislative reason a referendum cannot happen because there was one before brexit. 

That correct statement in no way says or implies the Scottish Parliament can override Westminster. 

If there were to be no agreement between the two parliaments if another referendum was sought, then that would be the legislative reason why it could not happen. 

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

If there were to be no agreement between the two parliaments if another referendum was sought, then that would be the legislative reason why it could not happen. 

I have already said there are regulations and procedures required to be met before a referendum can take place.

However to say there cannot be a referendum just because there was on before brexit is wrong. 

There is no legislative reason a referendum cannot take place. 

At no point have I claimed or implied the Scottish Parliament can override Westminster on this issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Eve n now since Brexit, the UK is less "unified" than before. It is the first time that the "English" realise that there are other countries involved. With Brexiteers their xenophobia extends especially to theScots. Their xenophobia is particularly conflicted in that they don't want them in the Uk - (or the EU) but they don't want a referendum either. Imagine an England with EU land borders on all sides. Even Brexiteers realised they would be stuffed then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Eve n now since Brexit, the UK is less "unified" than before. It is the first time that the "English" realise that there are other countries involved. With Brexiteers their xenophobia extends especially to theScots. Their xenophobia is particularly conflicted in that they don't want them in the Uk - (or the EU) but they don't want a referendum either. Imagine an England with EU land borders on all sides. Even Brexiteers realised they would be stuffed then.

Your assumptions and accusations are both false and tasteless. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kwilco said:

the OP is about why UK is struggling more than other countries - what do you expect?

Posters realising that the main cause of the current issues in the UK are Covid and Ukraine and Remainers are leaching onto to Covid and Ukraine problems for their own political purposes 

• Haha 2

Brexit has removed the EU as an outside source that prevented devolution from escalating and undermining the union.  This can be seen throughout the EU where autonomy has replaced independence under the EU flag. Without it the call for independence strengthens. The Brexit Tories in the meantime want to decrease the independence of the composite nations, in an effort to cover up the effects of Brexit on the United Kingdom – however this will only increase support for independence in all the other countries in the UK

Don’t forget the UK had already started to break p when Ireland left in the early 20th C.

The UK relies on both social and economic structures as well as a common overall international policy – that has ended with Brexit.

Half of the whole country are opposed to Brexit but in N.I., Wales and Scotland there is a majority of rejoiners. They see the Union with England as hindering this.

They also are now missing the special social, infrastructure and commercial funding from the EU – even Cornwall is experiencing an upwelling of autonomists.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kwilco said:

It is totally hilarious that after all that has been pointed out you still cling to that discredited cliche - but what else can a Brexiteer do?

Nearly every other Country in the World has similar issues to what the UK does , the USA has an inflation rate of 7.1 %.

I could slightly understand it a bit if there forthcoming UK/Brexit/Scottish referendum elections and you were campaigning and trying to get Brits to vote a certain way in the next elections , but you are trying to convince people who don't vote to vote a certain way in an election that will not be happening .

Like, what is the point in trying to convince forum members that Brexit wasn't a good idea ?

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Nearly every other Country in the World has similar issues to what the UK does , the USA has an inflation rate of 7.1 %.

I could slightly understand it a bit if there forthcoming UK/Brexit/Scottish referendum elections and you were campaigning and trying to get Brits to vote a certain way in the next elections , but you are trying to convince people who don't vote to vote a certain way in an election that will not be happening .

Like, what is the point in trying to convince forum members that Brexit wasn't a good idea ?

People are showing you how brexit has contributed to the uks economic woes.

As a brexiteer it isn’t surprising you don’t want to hear this but it is true nonetheless.   

It is also on topic. 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 3:33 PM, superal said:

Maybe time to follow Brexit with scrapping membership of NATO

Are you sure about that? Britain has scrapped so much of it's military since BAOR ended that IMO it doesn't have the wherewithal to defend itself against Russia. Britain even has to rely on the US for it's fighter planes.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, puchooay said:

I do believe Scotland have had a vote since 2009. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is a fundamental problem among unionists, the perception that the right to self determination was taken away in 2014.

You would have plenty to say if were never allowed to reconsider a decision, just think of the savings in closing the divorce courts.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nauseus said:

Since the first word was Belfast!

So tell us what happens to "Belfast" in a 7 year interval?

The government decided 7 years was an appropriate interval regarding another referendum on self determination.

Obviously you feel that interval was only appropriate for NI and not Scotland, which would in fact make it discrimination.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What’s US growth compared to UK growth?

(Inflation - Growth) is the number that matters.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you sure about that? Britain has scrapped so much of it's military since BAOR ended that IMO it doesn't have the wherewithal to defend itself against Russia. Britain even has to rely on the US for it's fighter planes.

By the time Ukraine has finished with Russia there will be little to fear from Russia and in any case any war with Russia would be based on ballistic missiles launched from nuclear submarines . The UK withdrawal from NATO should have happened at the same time as Brexit . 

18 hours ago, puchooay said:

Incorrect. It has already been adjudged Scotland cannot pick and choose when to have a vote. That would be for UK Parliament to decide.

I agree England should not rule over ScottIsh people if they no longer want to be part of the UK. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, superal said:

By the time Ukraine has finished with Russia there will be little to fear from Russia and in any case any war with Russia would be based on ballistic missiles launched from nuclear submarines . The UK withdrawal from NATO should have happened at the same time as Brexit . 

That will have to be seen to be believed, I believe it will take decades before Russia to change.

It would not surprise me to see the likes of China, Iran, Turkey and Russia plus some others cutting themselves off from the US dollar controversial world. 

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That will have to be seen to be believed, I believe it will take decades before Russia to change.

It would not surprise me to see the likes of China, Iran, Turkey and Russia plus some others cutting themselves off from the US dollar controversial world. 

Good luck finding companies which will accept a forward contract denominated in any other currency. The main reason is that most international companies' debt is written in US dollars.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kwilco said:

What a strange way to think, you must despise England.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Did they agree to have a one off vote or was it supposed to be a regular vote every few years ?

Well all I remember is they had a vote for Brexit as part of the UK. 

Then after they had a vote whether to stay part of UK. 

Contrary or what. 

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Your last paragraph could happen but the first paragraph , the Russian tale has many chapters to come and once the Russian people know the truth about recent events , including sanctions that will effect them , they may oppose their government and seek a change in the way their country is run and review the ways of communism which is isolating their country .

29 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

They actually are trying. China has been attempting to create a yuan based system. The trouble is, who's going to trust the Chinese govt with the management of it? That's a difficult proposition to put over when a government is entirely subject to the whims of 1 person.