Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

44 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Again, another ridiculous and defeatist comment. It is like my young kids who - when I pull them up for something they have done - reply, "we shouldn't talk about the past".  Er....yes we should because you did something wrong in the past and we should talk about it and you should be accountable for it.

Or you are saying we should be able to s**t on our own front lawn (and all our neighbours' lawns) but then just make the best of the situation and not discuss it or hold anyone accountable? Even though we were told that s**tting on our lawn would be bringing back the glory days but that turned out to be a lie.  Because, you know, life is about moving on....

I have to say RayC has very patiently and eloquently responded to everyone in this thread with good logic and good grace. The only replies I have read from Brexiteers is "stop going on about it" or cliches like "faceless EU bureaucrats", "EU mafia" or other ridiculous terms like "free of their yoke" without giving a single example of why they are a mafia, what yoke they had, or why their civil servants are any different to our own (and the UK has about 10-12 times as many as the EU even though we have a fraction of the population).

We don't think that Brexit was wrong or a mistake and we are still quite happy with the outcome and I am more than happy to be held accountable .

Some people still go on like its still 2017 .

My message it to accept the result and move on and live with it , rather than keep going on about the Brexit process , because that wont change anything

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Again, another ridiculous and defeatist comment. It is like my young kids who - when I pull them up for something they have done - reply, "we shouldn't talk about the past".  Er....yes we should because you did something wrong in the past and we should talk about it and you should be accountable for it.

If your kids did that wrong thing seven years ago and you are still going on about something they did 7 yaers ago, they will have a valid point in telling you to stop going on about it 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kwilco said:

If anyone is in any doubt about the lies of Brexit take a;\ look at this article which outlines the lies from Boris to Sunak.

https://boris-johnson-lies.com/

The only way to justify Brexit is to claim black is white and pigs can fly.

We've gone form "sunlit uplands - to a disaster we will "get by - in.

Dunkirk was a disaster we got by on, but Brexit is with us for years unless we see sense and start to rejoin ASAP - Sunak has already has Switzerland's agreement waved in his face.

Your off topic list has nothing to do with Brexit.  

31 minutes ago, kwilco said:

If anyone is in any doubt about the lies of Brexit take a;\ look at this article which outlines the lies from Boris to Sunak.

Dunkirk was a disaster we got by on, but Brexit is with us for years unless we see sense and start to rejoin ASAP - Sunak has already has Switzerland's agreement waved in his face.

Just to reply to the first alleged lie about there being 40 new hospitals . 

They did mean that 40 new hospitals which included complete refurbishments of old hospitals and new wings built onto  existing hospitals and they didn't mean 40 new hospitals built from scratch .

That one was enough for me and I wont be going down the list explaining things to you and pointing out why they aren't lies

12 minutes ago, superal said:

Oh no it didn't ( Panto season ???? ) 

The European Union manages its trade and investment relations with non-EU countries through its trade and investment policy.

Trade outside the EU is an exclusive responsibility of the EU, rather than the national governments of member countries. This means the EU institutions make laws on trade matters, and negotiate and conclude international trade agreements.

Odd then that so many British businesses have been trading, and operating around the world while the UK was a member of the EU.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

We don't think that Brexit was wrong or a mistake and we are still quite happy with the outcome and I am more than happy to be held accountable .

My message it to accept the result and move on and live with it , rather than keep going on about the Brexit process , because that wont change anything

We?

You do not speak for everyone in the U.K.  

No one is talking about the result as such (except you, that is) but rather the disastrous effect brexit is having on the U.K. economy. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Comma added
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

They were NOT promises though .

They were predictions about how future trade deals would progress and common sense tells us that predictions are not promises 

So, for whatever reason, these predictions have not turned out to be correct.

Therefore, wouldn't it be prudent to reappraise the situation and act accordingly, rather than plough aimlessly on as we appear to be doing?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

On the one hand, you tacitly admit (in another post) that the Brexit camp's predictions (of benefits) have not happened but, here you restate that Brexit wasn't a mistake and that you are still quite happy with the outcome. 

It's not impossible to reconcile those two positions but imo they undermine each other.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

Well i admit i deliberatly lie sometimes aleast progress is happening then, so what's there to moan about. 

14 hours ago, RayC said:

Given that it appeared that it was common knowledge that the EU would act in such a vindictive manner, why have successive UK governments failed to make the necessary arrangements to mitigate against these negative effects?

Because they are not doing what I would do. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, placeholder said:

I was listing the EU as one of three. The EU is not a country. So I needed to find a word that would accurately encompass them all.

15 hours ago, nauseus said:

Why? They're different. That's cheating.

Nonsense. For the purposes of trade and commerce they are the same. The reason that European states created the EU was to be able to emulate the United States where trade and commerce were unaffected by internal borders. What they were after, as far as trade and commerce go, was a United States of Europe. So the EU absulotely does belong with the USA and China when referring to trade and commerce. If the issue was fiscal policy or social benefits, that would be a different matter.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Nonsense. For the purposes of trade and commerce they are the same. The reason that European states created the EU was to be able to emulate the United States where trade and commerce were unaffected by internal borders. What they were after, as far as trade and commerce go, was a United States of Europe. So the EU absulotely does belong with the USA and China when referring to trade and commerce. If the issue was fiscal policy or social benefits, that would be a different matter.

No it wasn't and no it doesn't. 

17 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And even if this were not the case, economists know that there is a universally occurring characteristic of trade which they call "gravity". The closer countries are geographically the more likely that they are to trade with each other. You can't get much farther from the UK than Australia.

And yet I can remember when all our UK beef came from Argentina, all our lamb came form New Zealand, bananas were from the West Indies and oranges from South Africa.

So I'm calling BS on this 'gravity'.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, nauseus said:

No it wasn't and no it doesn't. 

More nonsense. All you can do is provide empty negation. So, in terms of economics,  how would you characterize the effects of the elimination of tariffs between members and  the institution of the free movement of labor? You know, economic integration How doesn't that emulate a unified economy comparable to the United States or China?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just to reply to the first alleged lie about there being 40 new hospitals . 

They did mean that 40 new hospitals which included complete refurbishments of old hospitals and new wings built onto  existing hospitals and they didn't mean 40 new hospitals built from scratch .

That one was enough for me and I wont be going down the list explaining things to you and pointing out why they aren't lies

You mean when I build an addition to my house, I get to call it new? Or if I completely refurbish it, it's now a new house? Calling something "new" that isn't new is what rational people would call lying or fraud. The new "new" is a no-no.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Trade is about markets. The EU is one market, therefore in this respect comparable to the US and China.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And yet I can remember when all our UK beef came from Argentina, all our lamb came form New Zealand, bananas were from the West Indies and oranges from South Africa.

So I'm calling BS on this 'gravity'.

That trade network was failing by the time the UK joined the EU. Without imperial preference the trade conditions no longer favoured the uk...

• Like 1