Is it okay to tear the plastic wrapping of matress?

topswijaya

19 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

Is it your mattress - if yes then yes.

If not, still ok - but be prepared to pay for a replacement for stains...... 

The advice of a protector is good - should always have one anyway due to "spillage" ????

those things are essential if you're prone to drinking yourself into oblivion. or so "my friend" tells me ????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, topswijaya said:

Dear all,

Is it okay to tear the plastic wrapping of apartment/ condominium matress?

It is kinda weird to sleep in bed with that thing

Assuming you are asking for new rented condo or rented condos with new furniture. Yes, I did every time in the past and it was expected the first time user would do that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

Assuming you are asking for new rented condo or rented condos with new furniture. Yes, I did every time in the past and it was expected the first time user would do that. 

I wouldn't bet what Thai owners expect.

I saw too many Thai bicycles, office furniture and computer with pieces of plastic on them which should have been removed before the first use. But many Thais keep it for years.

I remember a hospital, in which furniture should be regularly sterilized, with old pieces of plastic from the packaging hanging around...

Personally, I would remove the plastic. But that doesn't mean that a Thai owner expect and/or accepts that.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Be careful what kind of mattress protector. Let's just say if you buy from Shopee and Lazada they won't cut it. I sweat at night sometimes and the yellowish color will go through after a few months. Either buy a good one or expect to change them every 3 months.

This is, actually, one of the most useful posts on Thaivisa that I have ever read. 

I don't know the answer. 

Basically, this seems to be an Asian thing. I make no judgment. 

On the positive side, having the mattress completely encased in plastic is certainly more hygienic. 

However, this boon in augmented hygiene comes at the cost of poorer sleep. 

Personally, I would never tear-off the plastic covering of a mattress at any hotel or guesthouse. This would be considered destruction of property. 

Instead, what I would do would be to carry my own foam mattress which I would place on top of the plastic-coated mattress, and then sleep like a baby. 

Some of the foam toppers which I am referring to are quite expensive. Yet, they are worth it in the comfort they provide. 

I don't know where to buy one of these premium toppers here. 

But, if you can find one, then this might be a very good solution. 

At any rate, 

Don't let the bedbugs bite. 

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

Simple mattress protectors a special type of plastic (waterproof) and very flexible like cotton or similar and work well but the plastic is nothing like the plastic covering when delivered new.

Mattress protectors can be bought at home pro and similar and are mostly very inexpensive. I put 2 protectors over the original plastic. The feel / noise of the original plastic is gone. 

As said you can take the protector(s) to the next place. 

I should add, the mattress protectors I have are like a fully fitted bottom sheet so they cover the mattresss completely and cover the sides of the mattress from stains etc. (not like a pad with elastic bands on each corner).

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I would never tear-off the plastic covering of a mattress at any hotel or guesthouse. This would be considered destruction of property.

You wouldn't need to as it would be covered/hidden by the hotel's/guesthouse's bedding.  The OP is in a condo, not a flophouse.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

For real ?????....

Some of the responses I’ve read on this thread stretch my understanding of how others understand reality !!!... but this one....  'removing packaging considered destruction of property' takes the paranoia to a new level... 

... Its just plastic packaging... of course remove it before you sleep on the mattress - its a no brainer.

Protector or / and topper is also a no-brainer. 

This forum is definitely a learning experience... It astonishes me that anyone would ask such questions. 

If you own the mattress, then feel free to to do what you like with it, or on it, including water sports if you are so inclined. 

However, if you are a guest at a hotel, or guesthouse, then you should consult with the owner before altering the state of anything in the room which you have rented. 

Might I also add that if you are into water sports in the bedroom, then it's best to keep the plastic mattress cover in place. 

Just a word of advice from someone who has never had a yellow shower. 

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wouldn't bet what Thai owners expect.

I saw too many Thai bicycles, office furniture and computer with pieces of plastic on them which should have been removed before the first use. But many Thais keep it for years.

Never had problems. One was a Thai owner and the other was a Chinese. 

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If you own the mattress, then feel free to to do what you like with it, or on it, including water sports if you are so inclined. 

However, if you are a guest at a hotel, or guesthouse, then you should consult with the owner before altering the state of anything in the room which you have rented. 

Might I also add that if you are into water sports in the bedroom, then it's best to keep the plastic mattress cover in place. 

Just a word of advice from someone who has never had a yellow shower. 

Now... I don’t know what standard of accommodation you usually stay in... 

... so I think I have to quote Liverpool Lou... 

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The OP is in a condo, not a flophouse.

• Like 1

for some reason I have found thais do not like to remove the plastic packaging many items come in when it is only there to protect the items unil they are being used. If it is the plastic packaging and not something put on after it was bought then you should have no problems removing it, it will only be very thin plastic, if it is heavier plastic then it has probably been added later. The owner cannot make you pay for packaging plastic as it would normally rip easy anyway but this sounds like it may be the heavier plastic that has been placed on th mattress to stop any stains etc, you will need o strip the bed and check to make sure it is not a protector before doing anything.

I’m guessing it’s a rental.  It would be easier to just ask the the owner.  Different people will say yes and no.  But the only way to get a definitive answer is to ask the actual owner of the mattress. 

I moved into a brand new apartment complex - I asked my landlord about removing the plastic he said well you wouldn't want to sleep on that!  As previously suggested buy a mattress protector mind you, you can carefully cut along one end of the plastic covering & slide it off then replace it when you move they can be folded up reasonably small.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2022 at 12:44 PM, richard_smith237 said:

For real ?????....

Some of the responses I’ve read on this thread stretch my understanding of how others understand reality !!!... but this one....  'removing packaging considered destruction of property' takes the paranoia to a new level... 

... Its just plastic packaging... of course remove it before you sleep on the mattress - its a no brainer.

Protector or / and topper is also a no-brainer. 

This forum is definitely a learning experience... It astonishes me that anyone would ask such questions. 

It astonishes me that you can't extend some courtesy to another human being who is just trying to check what's 'normal' in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

It astonishes me that you can't extend some courtesy to another human being who is just trying to check what's 'normal' in Thailand. 

It's a legit question too. Keeping the plastic on appliances and furniture isn't exclusively a Thai think like some posters want to believe. It's even made its way into TV and the movies.

If it were me I'd ask the landlord/owner first just in case he's the OCD type.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

It's a legit question too. Keeping the plastic on appliances and furniture isn't exclusively a Thai think like some posters want to believe. It's even made its way into TV and the movies.

If it were me I'd ask the landlord/owner first just in case he's the OCD type.

Been to plenty of houses in AUstralia and the 3 seater and 2 individual sofa chairs still fully wrapped in plastic 5 years after purchase.

Same for cars, seats still in plastic.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Fair enough... perhaps my words were harsh... but I’m still astonished that questions such as this needs to be asked....

Given the answers, clearly I’m the one at the wrong end of this as a lot of posters have suggested leaving the packaging on which to me seems extremely strange... I’d never give it a second thought and just remove the packaging / plastic cover. 

• Thumbs Up 1