Thailand and Indonesia could soon become home for some lucky Aussies

webfact

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I'm sure the details will follow... ludicrous investment plans and strings attached.

I hope the impending ‘more detailed report’ will delve into the “joys” of TH health care insurance premiums (or lack there of) for these ageing expats! ????

4 hours ago, Sparktrader said:
"decided to move to Thailand because I can buy a property here for about a third of the price," Australian retiree David Astley said.
Astley is now settled in a three-bedroom home, which he says cost him only $270,000"

Farangs cant buy homes at that price point. Either a condo or not his name.

AUD 270.000 are around 6.5M THB. For sure you can buy a lot of nice condos for this money.
Also houses if open a company and you accept the risks.

5 hours ago, Sparktrader said:
"decided to move to Thailand because I can buy a property here for about a third of the price," Australian retiree David Astley said.
Astley is now settled in a three-bedroom home, which he says cost him only $270,000"

Farangs cant buy homes at that price point. Either a condo or not his name.

"Farangs cant buy homes at that price point. Either a condo or not his name"

. I am not sure this statement is true ?   I am a Farang and own a house here in Thailand, and lease the land it is built on.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, riverhigh said:

"Retired Working for You" did an excellent YouTube video on this Long Term Visa. For certain retirees it may make business sense. Personally, I am only interested in Permanent Residencey in order to get away from the Thai immigration and their BS.  Under current regulations I will never qualify for permanent residency as a retiree. To qualify I need to have a work permit and paying taxes for 3 years to be even considered. 

Great video, thanks for posting. Is that guy Jack Nicholson's younger brother?

1 hour ago, snowgard said:

AUD 270.000 are around 6.5M THB. For sure you can buy a lot of nice condos for this money.

CM, condo with swimming pool AUD 70,000. CR, condo with swimming pool AUD 45,000.

2 bedroom condo AUD 150,000.

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I know of a bloke who applied for one, said would take 45 days and 50,000 baht with his application, he also had to prove that his annual income, not money in the bank, annual income was $80,000 USA, guess that will stop 99.99% of those intending to apply for this 10 year visa.

If they had half a brain and were over 50, they could park 800,000 baht in the bank and apply for a retirement extension for the huge sum of 1,900 baht per annum, plus 1,000 for the re-entry permit or the multi re-entry permit for 3,800 baht which includes the annual renewal fee, I believe ?

This all sounds to me that Thai's think foreigner's are rich with massive income streams, bound to be another flop in my opinion.

And, of course, immigration wouldn't suggest the cheaper way as they would upset the money train. And they must think foreigners - aliens - are as stupid as they are not to see the alternative.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I built mine for 1/10th the cost, i.e. $100,000 in a rural area, that said, I knew of a bloke up the road in the same area who paid $240,000 (6,000,000 baht) to build the same house, but half the size of ours, i.e. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, the land was however was double the land size of ours, i.e. 2,000 square metres, and not included in the build price, it is also on a main road with double bogie's passing by frequently tearing up the bitumen. 

For $270,000 Dave would not want to be in a rural area IMO, i.e. unless that price includes a huge land parcel, in any event, he could have invested too much of his wealth, because when and if the relationship goes south, he could be out of pocket half of that amount at least and take years to sell.

The guy who built the house in our area, no longer lives there, wife kicked him out and later sold it for 4,000,000 baht to another farang married to a Thai.

Rumour had it that the brother-in-law built the house and bought a new Ford Wild Track shortly after the house was completed, not bad at 1.6 mil, thanks for coming Mr Farang.

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

This is nonsense. The headline makes it seem that these are special visas only for Aussies. The guy quoted talks about buying a 3 bed house as if he thinks foreigners are allowed to own land in Thailand. No mention of cost of healthcare vs free govt healthcare in Oz or having to sell up everything at a loss and high tail it back home with nowhere to live there any more for free medical treatment. I have seen this sad scenario unwind for a number of retirees in Thailand. Some had even acquired Thai families they couldn’t get visas to take home and had to abandon.

You are right.  Sad reality is that many expats burn their bridges coming here, selling up beforehand meaning they have priced themselves out of the property market in Oz and not able to afford rent back there either.  

Health issues that are not covered by insurance and prohibitively expensive in Thailand means being put into a terrible situation. 

I know of two Aussies who suicided over same scenario, insufficient money to return to a life in Oz - facing destitution, homelessness and years long waiting list for public housing there.  I'd suicide as well in this scenario unfortunately too.  

Channel 9 story massively devoid of details as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I know of a bloke who applied for one, said would take 45 days and 50,000 baht with his application, he also had to prove that his annual income, not money in the bank, annual income was $80,000 USA, guess that will stop 99.99% of those intending to apply for this 10 year visa.

If they had half a brain and were over 50, they could park 800,000 baht in the bank and apply for a retirement extension for the huge sum of 1,900 baht per annum, plus 1,000 for the re-entry permit or the multi re-entry permit for 3,800 baht which includes the annual renewal fee, I believe ?

This all sounds to me that Thai's think foreigner's are rich with massive income streams, bound to be another flop in my opinion.

However, when you add in your 1900 Thb extension and your 3800 Thb ME reentry permit the cost is more than the 5k a year the LTRWP visa costs for it's 10 years at a cost of only 50k Thb, plus you get stamped in for 5 years,and you only report once a year, no immigration reporting every 90 days. Sure it's not easy for many to obtain based upon the qualifications needed, but if you can then why not. The bonus is you don't need to park 800k in an account, or 400k if married to a Thai. If your not married to a Thai but another nationality they can be added on as well for 50k Thb and no money on the bank. For me it was a no brainer as we can travel back and forth with no issues unlike before ensuring we had the reentry permit and then dealing with the 90 days and i/o every year for the extensions. So much cheaper than using an agent as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, darrenr said:

My understanding is we already have a tax treaty with Thailand and states in the treaty pensions are tax free 

Yes and no. I've read that tax treaty from cover to cover several times looking for a way out for my situation. Yes - OAPs are tax free.  I've never applied for one.

If you are deemed to be a non-resident for tax purposes, you don't pay taxes in Australia for most income. It is taxed (or not) by your new resident country. The Treaty applies.

I have a ComSuper pension from my years working for the federal government. It's taxed at a very low rate as long as I am deemed to be an Australian resident for tax purposes.  However, if I decide to retire overseas, I am considered a non-resident for tax purposes and ATO taxes it at 32.5% because it's paid in Australia. It cannot be transferred nor cashed out. That is, they tax my pension at the same rate as a working holiday maker picking fruit! 

2 hours ago, snowgard said:

Private health insurance in Australia costs a bundle too mate. Unless you want to throw yourself at the mercy of the public system ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aussienam said:

You are right.  Sad reality is that many expats burn their bridges coming here, selling up beforehand meaning they have priced themselves out of the property market in Oz and not able to afford rent back there either.  

Health issues that are not covered by insurance and prohibitively expensive in Thailand means being put into a terrible situation. 

I know of two Aussies who suicided over same scenario, insufficient money to return to a life in Oz - facing destitution, homelessness and years long waiting list for public housing there.  I'd suicide as well in this scenario unfortunately too.  

That is sad.

There is a major problem in Australia for anyone who things the grass is greener on the other side and the government ) both governments, no just Liberal, also Labor place huge restrictions on those of us who want to go.

Let me provide you with a couple of examples to which you may not be aware of, and possibly others.

Once your out for 183 days, you could lose your residency for tax purposes, this is my opinion happens automatically if you don't lodge a tax return, which means you will pay 32.5c in every dollar tax earned in Australia.

If you have a property under the NEW legislation (2022), as a non resident for tax purposes you will pay capital gains tax at 42c in the $ from the day you purchased your principal place or residency, regardless if you have rented it out or not.

Medicare goes out the window once your absent for 5 years and you have to go back to reapply.

You cannot vote anymore once you are a non resident.

I could go on, but I won't, everyone has to do there own research and look how best they can live a life in Thailand without being penalised by the government back home.

What I am trying to say is that some of us have to cut ties to an extend, e.g. not worthwhile holding onto property if you cannot keep your residency, any increase will be taxed at 42c as mentioned, and if you do rent it out, you cannot claim diddly squat on it until you sell it, yes any negative gearing, repairs etc are non claimable until you sell it. Oh, there's also the annual land tax for non residents, which is on top of the council rates, although I will stand corrected if that is not the case.

For me, forcing me to cut ties with Australia has worked out well, e.g. I invest in Oz and pay zero tax, it's possible, you just have to do your research, I still use Medicare to my advantage when I return (under 5 years) and get my card renewed before expiry date, i.e. don't wait for them to send it to you, won't happen.

As for voting, couldn't give a rats a$$, renew my drivers licence every 5 years at the motor registry and pay the hefty $194, why because you don't know what tomorrow will bring and I don't want to go through a process whereby I would have to sit for a driving knowledge test and driving test and I know I would tell everyone to F off, if I flunked, too old for that sheet.

If coming here with nothing and not on the pension, those falling short of the old age pension age have to return and do their 2 year jail term to have it made portable to be paid here.

The above said, I would never even dream of coming to Thailand on just a pension, what kind of existence would that be, yes, I could imagine it being tougher in Oz, but if one didn't put in the hard yarns when younger to get ahead in life, it wouldn't be a pretty existence here or in Oz in my opinion, that said, life would be much better here with the money you would have from the sale of an asset, and personally, I don't care about any capital gains back home, they can have it, my last place increased by $30,000 per annum for 6 years after I sold it, so that incoming owner had to pay $30,000 in stamp duties, agents reselling costs $15,000, allow $30,000 for council/water rates/strata levies for that 6 year period, add solicitors buying and selling fees of $5,000 and that $180,000 increase over that 6 year period that I have lived here has been reduced to $100,000, that said, I have made more than $180,000 tax free living here in that period, which works out to be about 62,500 baht per month on that figure, debt free, car paid off, no money owing to anyone, and no work, stress, pressure, just living the life.

Not working hard, poor planning will provide you with a poor existence in Thailand IMO, as for the old age pension, they can have it, who knows how much longer they will allow it to be portable ?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

However, when you add in your 1900 Thb extension and your 3800 Thb ME reentry permit the cost is more than the 5k a year the LTRWP visa costs for it's 10 years at a cost of only 50k Thb, plus you get stamped in for 5 years,and you only report once a year, no immigration reporting every 90 days. Sure it's not easy for many to obtain based upon the qualifications needed, but if you can then why not. The bonus is you don't need to park 800k in an account, or 400k if married to a Thai. If your not married to a Thai but another nationality they can be added on as well for 50k Thb and no money on the bank. For me it was a no brainer as we can travel back and forth with no issues unlike before ensuring we had the reentry permit and then dealing with the 90 days and i/o every year for the extensions. So much cheaper than using an agent as well.

Are you serious, that works out to 7,000 baht saving over 10 years.

I only report to immigration once a year to do my renewal, 90 days are done on line effortlessly.

Re-entry permit at Swampy on my way out, 1,000 baht, again, effortless.

If you have an income stream of $80,000 USD, you can do what you want, I don't make that kind of money from my investments, but if I did, I wouldn't change things, I park money in my account once a year for my annual budget, it doesn't effect me regarding what and when the amount was put in for immigration purposes, I just time it right and with enough money in there not to worry about peeing some I/O off.

1 hour ago, aussienam said:

Some people lose their jobs. They didnt burn any bridge.

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Chiang Rai has plenty of coffee shops in the 30 - 50 baht range. The places you mention are tourist traps, with prices adjusted accordingly.

I don't go to coffee shops I have a coffee machine and it cost me less than A 1 Dollar 

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

AS I understand it, if a foreigner rents a house or condo in Indonesia for a year, they pay the full year's rental up front.

If the maid gets pregnant while employed by the foreigner, more money to be paid as well. Doesn't matter who the father is.

Correct it is called "Maternity leave". The made basically keeps the full salary. IN short 13 weeks of maternity leave with 100% wage paid throughout the period. Indonesia's maternity protection is fully funded by employers and not based on social security insurance.

Sharia law/tradition say that the formal employer is fully responsible for his employees. This responsibility goes for a range of other "accidents" as well. Make sure to have a company insurance.

Edited by LookMoo