Is Farang Life in Thailand almost completely Unconducive to the Enjoyment of Reading Books? Or, is it Life in Thailand, in general, which is so?

GammaGlobulin

6 minutes ago, digbeth said:

I don't see anyone cozying up to the fireplace or a roaring heater in Thailand either, is the climate in Thailand not conductive to enjoying warmth? 

Certainly, the climate here is not conducive to the preservation of leather-bound books. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just bought a $55 art book, Decoding Southeast Asian Art. More an academic deep dive than a coffee table book. Like a 5 minutes a page kind of book. It generates a little convo when I read it by the pool.

Prob take a couple of months of dipping in and out of it to finish it. River Books does the best Thai Artbooks; I have about a dozen of them back home. Not into accumulating stuff, so I'll give it to the uni up the road.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

I still read about 1 book every week, although at this point it's mostly on my Kindle. I still have about 10 paper backs I brought from USA that I'll read also. Where I live it's quiet enough for me to concentrate on reading. I manage to find time for all of my hobbies here.

• Like 1

I still enjoy a good read, but it can be a problem sourcing material if you live outside the big cities. I used to bring back half a briefcase of books whenever I went abroad. I found it too expensive and inconvenient to order books online.

I finally moved over to a Kindle and still take that everywhere. You can download most books from The Pirate Bay. 

But the OP is right, I think, cuddling up and reading in a cooler climate is somehow more relaxing. Reading with the fan or air conditioning blasting away, and with a cold drink dripping condensation everywhere, is not so relaxing.

Reading outside makes you a target for attack from a huge variety of kamakazi insects. I've always said that you can't sit or stand still outside in rural Thailand for more than 30 seconds without something having a go. Heaven forbid if you loose concentration (e.g. get engrossed in your book) because, sooner of later, you will be susceptible to a successful massed banzai attack despite all your passive defences.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well this a start to how I intend to read more books whether hard copy (if the print is big enough) or on a Galaxy note pad. Chair & Lamp now installed

Unrelated note: I went to Ubon Rat Immigration yesterday which is on the Rajabhat U. campus. Note to Jerry: Behave yourself.

chair.jpg

HD-wallpaper-xunifor.jpg

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 2

Read more here than back ‘home’. Did two 6-700-pagers last week actually, though currently on a bit of a binge. The noise doesn’t bother me (where excessive noise usually does)… when in the zone, it’s not an issue. Rarely bother with paper over here; having them on the phone means one can read—and acquire practically any title—on a whim. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

I worked in books/magazines most of my life, never read any (childhood accepted) living in Thailand love reading, there are some fantastic second hand book shops here, before anyone says anything, give me a book over kindle anytime 

After reading your comment, at least five times, I am not sure what you intended to say.

You worked in books/magazines. So then, you worked at what?

You were an editor at Charles Scribner's Sons?

You never read books. Except, during your childhood, or while living in Thailand, when you began to love reading.

In Thailand, you found some fantastic second-hand book shops.

And, before we comment further, you believe that a real book you can hold in your hand is far better than a Kindle book you can download to your device.

Did I get it right?

If so, I agree with you.