Tourism booming in Koh Chang - Thais head north but foreigners make for rosy outlook into 2023

webfact

3 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Koh Chang is probably the best choice in November when the weather is good but it's still rainy season down south. Also good if you're bringing a large family in the car and the cost of so many flight tickets to the south would be too expensive. But in every other way it's just totally inferior to the islands down south. I did the full circuit of Koh Chang and it doesn't have a beach that comes close to the spectacular views you get in Phi Phi, Rayleigh or even Lamai.

Not rainy season on west coast, only gulf. Railay is full of longtails.

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife and I spent four days there about two weeks ago and it was very nice. I don't like the crowds but I DO like to see some people about enjoying themselves. In the previous two years during covid we visited a few of the islands and just about everything was closed but what was available was very acceptable to us but there were no people anywhere. That was nice in its way but...

After being in Koh Chang for 4 days, we visited the island of Koh Maak that is much smaller and while not so many visitors over three days, everything there was a quite a lot more expensive but still had a great time. 

Our highlight though was  a one day trip to Koh Kut, a private island owned by the owner of B2S (the stationery and Book Store) Only about ten people live there and we had a full trip round the island on a motorbike and sidecar. The beaches were fantastic and we were quite alone - except for the deer that when approached with patience would come right up to us. No shops, no accommodation, only some evidence of Campers from a while back. We were able to buy a nice chill beer and sit on a short causeway that separated the sea of either side when the tide was out.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just a thought. May be it's cheaper than Phuket or Samui? Can't fly there though, hence the look of backpacker tourists. Can take a car and I did once. I liked the island, the further from Whitesands the better. I recall some good snorkeling boat trips. Without a car it's fun to do KC, Koh Kut for a couple of nights then to Trat itself which has nothing for tourists but I found interesting. Do it all by speedboats but only once the rainy season has definitely ended and high winds rain and rough seas have gone. From Trat you can check out and now cross again the Thai/Cambodia border crossing there. 

24 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

My wife and I spent four days there about two weeks ago and it was very nice. I don't like the crowds but I DO like to see some people about enjoying themselves. In the previous two years during covid we visited a few of the islands and just about everything was closed but what was available was very acceptable to us but there were no people anywhere. That was nice in its way but...

After being in Koh Chang for 4 days, we visited the island of Koh Maak that is much smaller and while not so many visitors over three days, everything there was a quite a lot more expensive but still had a great time. 

Our highlight though was  a one day trip to Koh Kut, a private island owned by the owner of B2S (the stationery and Book Store) Only about ten people live there and we had a full trip round the island on a motorbike and sidecar. The beaches were fantastic and we were quite alone - except for the deer that when approached with patience would come right up to us. No shops, no accommodation, only some evidence of Campers from a while back. We were able to buy a nice chill beer and sit on a short causeway that separated the sea of either side when the tide was out.

Kut has heaps of resorts

31 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Kood or Kut has over 2800 people living there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Kut_district

Over 50 resorts

It isnt privately owned

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Kood or Kut has over 2800 people living there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Kut_district

Over 50 resorts

It isnt privately owned

The island I am calling Koh Kut has another name that I cannot now remember and is often confused with Kok Kud.

The island I went to IS privately owned, has NO accommodation and DOES have only ten official population.

If there is any mistake, it is in the name, not of my facts! 

My wife has reminded me of the official name of that island - Koh Kradat. My understanding its other name that it is given by other Islanders in the group confuses many people, including me!

Edited by ChrisKC
correction
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Still no idea. Havent found a good vlogger yet. Doyle has the best camera work but heck he is annoying to listen to. Maybe ok with sound off.

Vlogging a dead horse. I watched his Penang vlog because I like Penang but couldn't face any more.

Dont watch any others vlogging about Thailand. 

Bit pointless if you live here.

Only vlogger that I watch much is Fit For Adventure. Doesn't vlog too much. About UK hiking and the Cape Wrath Trail. Professional standards, amusing and unpretentious.

Edited by Denim

7 hours ago, Seagull Sam said:

My sentiments on the subject are clouded by being attacked by a drug crazed bar girl while I was living there a few years ago.

Discretion forbids me to name the establishment she worked in.

The point at issue is that there was no-one in earshot given the thin population.

When the local hospital informed the police their attitude was 'do you still love her?' Lawang.

And your answer? Only for a short time?

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

The island I am calling Koh Kut has another name that I cannot now remember and is often confused with Kok Kud.

The island I went to IS privately owned, has NO accommodation and DOES have only ten official population.

If there is any mistake, it is in the name, not of my facts! 

My wife has reminded me of the official name of that island - Koh Kradat. My understanding its other name that it is given by other Islanders in the group confuses many people, including me!

National park island? I went to one that was great

Last time I stayed at Lonely Beach, the 2 level/4 hotel room building next to ours collapsed into the sand. The footings were sunk in sand and gave way.... 

A young person died in the debris. 

It scared the cr*p outta me and turned me off the island. 

I'm slowly returning to the beaches again..  Rawai recently, and Koh Samet shortly. 

Bang Bao on KC is enjoyable but is getting too crowded with day trippers..  after sunset, very nice. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

In addition there are events organized this month such as a Bikini Run, Seafood Festival and beauty pageant Miss Grand Trat is taking place in the province.

Same old same old..

But having said that.. maybe tourists are looking for something more then the "in your face, tired business model Pattaya" ?

15 hours ago, Tarteso said:
16 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Go Ban Krut

Isn’t a bad idea. I was thinking in Andaman sea, but I will take a look in Ban Krut ????

Edited 15 hours ago by Tarteso

It’s a nice peaceful relaxing kind of place but possibly a little too isolated and quiet for many - many retired people ambling around. Maybe just for a few days depending on your priorities ,I’d say own transport to explore surrounding areas essential and no major towns nearby. For swimming/snorkeling Andaman better too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

Last time I stayed at Lonely Beach, the 2 level/4 hotel room building next to ours collapsed into the sand. The footings were sunk in sand and gave way.... 

A young person died in the debris. 

It scared the cr*p outta me and turned me off the island. 

I'm slowly returning to the beaches again..  Rawai recently, and Koh Samet shortly. 

Bang Bao on KC is enjoyable but is getting too crowded with day trippers..  after sunset, very nice. 

Lonely beach is a dump imo. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In ko chang now too many people

for sure ..leaving tomorrow.

Cant even get a good swim in the resort pool too many posers

doing photo shoots.

Still interesting wildlife

seen poisoners snakes and leaches 

at the waterfall ,note to self no swimming in the waterfall .????

21 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Only 1 did. The reviewer sounds like a db.

There is more than 1 resort on that island that likes to sue customers who leave negative comments on the web.

I was personally threatened at one resort, that if I left a negative review on the internet, I would be sued. I complained the towel had not been changed from the previous day. I was told I would have to pay 20 baht/towel for a new clean dry towel.

I have been in Thailand more than 10 years, visited at least 20 hotels/resorts and this was the first time towels were not changed on a daily basis.

Amazing Koh Chang resorts!

I recommend Koh Kood/Koot/Kut, which for me,  is much nicer and more hospitable. Peter Pan Resort was wonderful.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

There is more than 1 resort on that island that likes to sue customers who leave negative comments on the web.

I was personally threatened at one resort, that if I left a negative review on the internet, I would be sued. I complained the towel had not been changed from the previous day. I was told I would have to pay 20 baht/towel for a new clean dry towel.

I have been in Thailand more than 10 years, visited at least 20 hotels/resorts and this was the first time towels were not changed on a daily basis.

Amazing Koh Chang resorts!

I recommend Koh Kood/Koot/Kut, which for me,  is much nicer and more hospitable. Peter Pan Resort was wonderful.

1 resort out of 200.

On 11/16/2022 at 9:14 AM, Seagull Sam said:

My sentiments on the subject are clouded by being attacked by a drug crazed bar girl while I was living there a few years ago.

Discretion forbids me to name the establishment she worked in.

The point at issue is that there was no-one in earshot given the thin population.

When the local hospital informed the police their attitude was 'do you still love her?' Lawang.

If you have never been attacked by a drug-crazed bargirl then you have never lived in Thailand!

• Haha 2

On 11/16/2022 at 7:48 AM, sandyf said:

Last Christmas/New Year Koh Chang was declared a special zone with less restrictions. You coudn't get on the ferry across without a vaccination certificate.

We went for New Year and I thought the ambiance on the beach far better than I was used to seeing at Pattaya. The island was mobbed and many may have spread the word.

I booked again a few months ago for this year and it was difficult then to get a room near White Sands beach.

Comparing Koh Chang to Pattaya is like comparing the Maldives to Somalia! ????

• Like 1