Twitter hit with mass resignations after Elon Musk's ‘hardcore’ ultimatum

Scott

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think a lot of them were employed to push the previous owners woke, anti-Trump agenda.

Obviously Mr. Musk doesn't want them around any more.

I believe that's a correct assumption, albeit worded slightly differently than I would have.

Twitter continued to bleed engineers and other workers on Thursday, after new owner Elon Musk gave them a choice to pledge to “hardcore” work or resign with severance pay.

Some took to Twitter to announce they were signing off after Musk’s deadline to make the pledge.

https://apnews.com/article/world-cup-elon-musk-twitter-inc-technology-sports-d9217e91f876794bd7816013fbbc8cbb?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_03

On 11/18/2022 at 12:11 PM, BritManToo said:

I think a lot of them were employed to push the previous owners woke, anti-Trump agenda.

Obviously Mr. Musk doesn't want them around any more.

Nothing more useless than an employee whose job is critical.

"Hours before a Thursday deadline that Elon Musk had given Twitter employees to decide whether to stay or leave their jobs, the social media company appeared to be in disarray.

Mr. Musk and his advisers held meetings with some Twitter workers whom they deemed “critical” to stop them from leaving, four people with knowledge of the conversations said. He sent out confusing messages about the company’s remote work policy, appearing to soften his stance on not allowing people to work from home before warning their managers, according to those people and internal emails viewed by The New York Times."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/17/technology/twitter-elon-musk-ftc.html

Edited by metisdead
"Paste as plain text instead" option at the bottom of the reply box.

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I call BS on that. So what organisation employed a significant number of workers not on their merits? What category were they that gave the business merit to hire them when they were not the best - women, certain ethnicities? I thought you had not worked for a while too when woke wasn't a thing.   

Take a trip round the sun on the next spacecraft going that way and you should spot them.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suspect the Saudi co-owners of Twitter will indeed be keen to push an anti ‘woke’ agenda. They certainly didn’t get involved to promote free speech and open discussion.

They might though be interested in the power to manipulate public opinion. 

I suspect in this they found the right co-owner in Musk.

hmm. "Axis of Evil" springs to mind. Who might get involved with Saudi money I wonder?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, candide said:

Without a proper plan on who should leave the company, really? The problem, as you surely know, is that when such offers (or threats) are made, It's usually the good people who leave the company, the ones who can easily get another job because they are competent and efficient. And from the OP, That's what they do: leave!

Someone offers me 40,000 plus dollars to leave and I'll take it. There's always another job and, unlike tw*tter at present, a chance the boss there knows what they are doing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

100's have opted for severance

When Musk took over they had over 7500 employees, 100's have quit, so what?

If 3000 or 4000 quit then I think he might have a problem, especially as he already culled 1000's of those who he deemed unneccessary.

It's a private company now, so who cares what they do?

If they feel the need to hire new staff then I'm sure there will be tens of thousands of people applying for the jobs.

Just now, Sophon said:

You are forgetting that Musk already fired half of the 7500 employees at the company. And ,as has already been mentioned, the hundreds that are leaving are the ones that have a choice i.e. the highly qualified people who can easily go out and get a good job at another company. With the messages Musk has sent out, nobody would want to work for him unless they have no other choice.

Not so easily, the tech industry is currently laying off tens or hundreds of thousands of workers, including engineers. It may be that he can turn Twitter into a unionless sweat shop.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is Musk really imposing abusive work conditions ?  or have you exaggerated the response to present a stronger counter argument to Britman suggesting its a good way to get rid of the wokes ?

I don’t know the specific details, I also doubt the media is giving a truly balanced and unbiased account of the situation - I also know there are plenty of labor laws that must be adhered to.

People may lose some of the perks they believe they were entitled to.

Some people think the world owes them a living...  

He's asking them to work 20 hour days 7 days a week. 

• Like 1

Another underreported aspect of the case is that Musk is stealing from Tesla. He's using Tesla's engineers to figure out problems at Twitter. Tesla is a publicly owned company. Musk has no right to use its employees to bail him out of problems he's having with his privately owned company. I don't see how he can defend himself if shareholders bring a lawsuit against him.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Another underreported aspect of the case is that Musk is stealing from Tesla. He's using Tesla's engineers to figure out problems at Twitter. Tesla is a publicly owned company. Musk has no right to use its employees to bail him out of problems he's having with his privately owned company. I don't see how he can defend himself if shareholders bring a lawsuit against him.

He’ll defend himself ok until the cash is gone, how else do you get away with slander like he did a couple of years ago ?